I registered for the Harry Potter Pottermore site!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by propita, Aug 4, 2011.

1. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm looking forward to this. My username also isn't so bad. Glad to read I'm not alone here.

And I am so envious that I didn't write a multi-billion dollar series.

2. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

There's still time.

3. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:rommie:

4. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

And here I had falsely hoped with the last film of the last book, the decade-long obsession with such things would have ended.

Damn.

Woman's already a billionaire. Must she really milk it for all its worth?

5. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Why is it suddenly a bad thing to try and do more with the stuff you've accumulated over the years making the series? How many people always want more info on Lord of the Rings, and various other franchises? Why is it JK Rowling is suddenly bad, and milking the cash cow for giving people the stuff they generally crave?

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't get that mentality either. People are allowed to change their mind, especially creative people. I think most fans give artists who do this flak because of a perceived decrease in quality (George Lucas comes to mind) but really they can do whatever they want. As long as I enjoy it, I don't really care.

7. Joy

Joy Commodore Commodore

You guys are acting as if this site is gonna cost money.

IT ISN'T.

The only money spent will be whatever users wish to spend to get e-books of the seven novels and any merch (wands, scarves, whatever other stuff will be in the shop) they like.

The site itself will always be free. Yes, there will be virtual money used within the game, but there is no scheme set up like, say, Farmville where you can spend real money to get extra-special virtual money to get the extra-cool stuff.

No, everything will be earned, for free, by doing things on the site.

When Pottermore goes live, users will be living the books, one chapter at a time. So, for example, the very first "experience" on Pottermore will begin at Privet Drive, where we'll learn how Petunia and Vernon met.

JK has written 18,000 words so far for Pottermore; I believe that is only for Book One. Book Two doesn't premiere on the site until next year.

So as you work your way through the chapters, more and more new information, written by JK herself, will be revealed (almost like having an encyclopedia, but getting to have fun while learning the info!).

When you get to Diagon Alley, you'll get a starter amount of galleons with which to purchase your supplies, including your wand. You'll take a special quiz at Ollivander's--the quiz being written by JK herself--and then be given your specific wand, chosen out of 33,000 different combinations (I believe that's the number I read).

When you get to Hogwarts, you will have your Sorting. Just like if you really were attending Hogwarts, you will only get this one chance to be Sorted. You will answer an extensive quiz (again, written by JK); there are so many questions available, that no one person will get the exact same set of questions (therefore making it impossible to cheat), and none of the question/answer sets are stupidly obvious like "What's your favorite animal? a) Badger b) Eagle c) Lion d) Snake."

There is even the possibility of reaching a "hat stall," which is what happened to Harry (and, we learned from the LeakyCon panel, also happened to McGonagall), where there are two possible Houses for you. So there's the possibility you may actually have some choice concerning your House.

Once sorted, you get to see your common room. The Common Room is where you will be able to chat with other users sorted into your House. You can visit the Great Hall where you'll be able to chat with anyone from any House.

As for the people making remarks about the info about Petunia & Vernon: chill. It's only a single example from the very first "chapter experience."

An example used in the LeakyCon panel was concerning McGonagall. We learned her birthyear (1925) and her blood status (father was Reverend Robert McGonagall, a Presbyterian minister; mother was a witch). We also found out that we will be learning about McGonagall's tragic heartbreak early in life when she fell in love with a Muggle boy.

And these are just very tiny summaries of things we will learn on the site. From everything I've read about Pottermore, it seems we will truly be kept busy in the time between the opening of Pottermore and the release of Chamber of Secrets.

If it ends up that we get one book a year, we Potter fans will have new things for us to do and read for at least another seven years.

And who knows? Maybe by the end of Deathly Hallows on Pottermore, JK will find herself interested in writing about the "next generation," and we can live out Albus Potter's years in Hogwarts via the Pottermore website.*

*this final paragraph is obviously just wishful thinking

8. HoneyBLilly

HoneyBLilly Commodore Commodore

I'd quote everything you just said but it's very long.

Anyways, you're right.

I'm signed up, first night me and one of my friends off of here got in pretty quick.

I was hoping for prequels from Snape or maybe Sirius' POV. And if anyone can do the prequels without destroying them (*cough*George Lucas*cough*) it would be Jo Rowling.

9. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I think there must be a gene for Harry Potter fandom 'cause I just don't get the interest. All power to those who like it 'though.

10. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So she doesn't do Harry Potter books anymore. Next up, the tales of Hermione and Ron.

11. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

She'll only stop milking it once the cow starts lactating blood.

12. Astraea

Astraea Commander Red Shirt

^Why do people on this board understand the desire for more Star Trek-related content, but not the desire for more Harry Potter content? Seems to me fandom is fandom, and that fans generally want more stuff from the fictional universes they like.

13. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

There has been only one NuTrek movie. Thats really not very much honestly.

14. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Sweet! I just got in as well. I guess the key is to visit early in the day.

15. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I just registered. I'm waiting for the validation e-mail.

I've never read the books (just watched all the movies), but today's clue was easy to look-up. I'm really just looking to purchase the e-books. I'm not sure if I'll use any of the other stuff.

16. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just registered and submitted the validation email.

Apparently I'm now waiting on a "welcome letter".

Not really a fan of the random name generator selections, but whatever.

17. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

If I'm remembering correctly, there were going to be 7 days to enter for the early access, and they had one million slots available, split up amongst those 7 days.

The first three clues were going to be extremely difficult, but starting with day 4 they would get progressively easier, until day 7 with the easiest of all. BUT, you have to get in while those slots are open that day. Wait too long and you're SOL.

Now we're in ... and so we wait and see what it's all about. The confirmation email I got said it could take up to a week before I have full access to the site, or something like that.

18. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The clues are easy, a number and a multiplier--mine was the addresss of Grimmauld Place x 21. These are things that don't need to be looked up(at least by me).

The description of Pottermore sounds great! Though I have all 7 books, having snooks would be pretty convenient.

19. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Today's clue was just the number of chapters in book 6 multiplied by 14. It wasn't hard to look up.

I just validated my e-mail. The website says:

"You may have to wait a few weeks for your Welcome email to arrive as we can’t let everyone into the Beta site at the same time."

20. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    I'd love to see all the additional background material, but I have no desire to fap around with a bunch of games.

I'd even re-buy all seven books if they were released with *massive* amounts of annotations and footnotes with such material.

And, yeah, what's with the disdain for people wanting more material? Star Trek jumped that shark back in 1974 with the animated series and the novels. Hello pot? Kettle calling.