I don't care I am loving season 3

Judge as you wish, they never explained the reason for it. Maybe there was something that happened in between Disco and TOS where they decided to limit women's roles. I'm betting it was a class action lawsuit against the federation for not taking proper precautions, and their only option was to cut back.
Again, extremely sexist and not fitting in the egalitarian idea of the Federation. Equal opportunity lawyers would have a field day so I don't expect it to stand (and it clearly didn't given that by the TOS film era we see a female captain).

Sexist attitudes best left behind.

Judge as you wish, they never explained the reason for it. Maybe there was something that happened in between Disco and TOS where they decided to limit women's roles. I'm betting it was a class action lawsuit against the federation for not taking proper precautions, and their only option was to cut back.
It doesn't need to be explained in-universe because it's an out of universe issue.

Again, extremely sexist and not fitting in the egalitarian idea of the Federation. Equal opportunity lawyers would have a field day so I don't expect it to stand (and it clearly didn't given that by the TOS film era we see a female captain).

Sexist attitudes best left behind.
I don't see why they did it, there's no reason given. I blame the lawyers, I'm sure they are just as bad as they are now.

Of course, that isn't true. That's the "I have a hammer, so everything is a nail" approach. It's an absolutely legitimate topic for discussion. I must say, I'm a bit surprised of the attitude that it can't be discussed, just shut it down!
I think the idea of a majority male crew 400 years hence is actually unbelievable. It just shows us our contemporary failings that include decades (actually longer) of artificially suppressing women in certain jobs were probably off the mark since women coming into these jobs now are just as good (and often better) than males.

I think the idea of a majority male crew 400 years hence is actually unbelievable. It just shows us our contemporary failings that include decades (actually longer) of artificially suppressing women in certain jobs were probably off the mark since women coming into these jobs now are just as good (and often better) than males.
Of course, you are entitled to your opinion, as am I. It just seemed really weird and unrealistic to me, as I said before, especially in the mirror universe.
And then there is Tilly as first officer (and some kind of top dog in the mirror universe). To me, that's like Barkley being promoted to 1st officer. Just the wrong character for the job. I don't care that it's a woman, like number one in the TOS pilot, but Tilly? She's like a goofball and is all of a sudden elevated that much, to 1st officer? WTF are they doing?

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion, as am I. It just seemed really weird and unrealistic to me, as I said before, especially in the mirror universe.
And then there is Tilly as first officer (and some kind of top dog in the mirror universe). To me, that's like Barkley being promoted to 1st officer. Just the wrong character for the job. I don't care that it's a woman, like number one in the TOS pilot, but Tilly? She's like a goofball and is all of a sudden elevated that much, to 1st officer? WTF are they doing?
Practicing nepotism, as Starfleet is want to do. And that is how the Mirror Universe works, either you rank up through kills or by favoritism.

Something is up here, and I'm not talking about Canon.

Anyway, there was Captain Hernandez in ENT Season 4, a woman. Number One in "The Cage", one step away from the Captaincy. Saavik in TWOK, who was on the Command Track. And the Captain of the Saratoga in TVH.

"Turnabout Intruder" is the outlier, where what is said can be open to interpretation. And it's not even a highly-regarded episode.

Last edited:
This is a good discussion to point to when I need to express my feelings on Continuity™. Seems some folks would rather nail down all Trek to 1960's social standards because that's what was displayed in TOS. If women aren't a minority and don't have crushes on men, if they show any amount of self-determination or authority, then it bReAkS CoNtInUiTy! Sexism must be preserved for the sake of my precious Continuity™.

Star Trek is a fictional show created by humans in the present day. It has to appeal to present-day audiences. In the 60s, it did so. In the 2020s, it is doing so. Those things should look very different because the world has changed.

This notion that "men will always be men and women will always be women" harkens to one of our worst tendencies: choosing one specific notion of "what things used to be like" and pinning all of previous history onto that notion, then complaining that "things aren't like they used to be." What we think of as gender roles and the socially appropriate behaviors of men and women in the 1920s isn't how things operated in the 1960s. And the 1960s wasn't anything like the 2020s. If a person can't reconcile the fictional universe with the ever-changing real world, then I just don't know what else to say. That's upsetting.

I think I'm going to work in a re-watch of DSC Season 3 sooner than I planned. It's the only Disco season I haven't re-watched.

It just hampers the believability of the show and stories they tell. Of course, that's just how it looks to me. It seems weird that jobs that are traditionally populated more by men than women are not that way in the future, with no explanation at all.
There doesn't need to be an explanation for it. There isn't a single job on Star Trek that can't be handled by either gender.

Frankly some of the ways women were used on past shows was pretty barbaric. One of the biggest issues I had with Enterprise was with how the show went out of its way to objectify Tpal. And this was a show from the 2000s. I'm fine with more women on the show so long as it isn't in a demeaning or degrading way.

Last edited:
In 400 years assuming we have large spacecraft it might be a crew of males, females, and trans and that might even be the majority so there will be a lot of copium going on for some people.

There doesn't need to be an explanation for it. There isn't a single job on Star Trek that can't be handled by either gender.

Frankly some of the ways women were used on past shows was pretty barbaric. One of the biggest issues I had with Enterprise was with how the show went out of its way to objectify Tpal. And this was a show from the 2000s. I'm fine with more women on the show so long as it isn't in a demeaning or degrading way.
Not asking for an explanation. I have no issue at all with having a good looking woman (or man) on a TV show.

The treatment of women on Trek and the objectifying of women still bothers me, even 20 years later.

Such a shame we won't be regaled further with tales of yore, when women knew their place...

:rolleyes:

giphy.gif

Back