How would you re-imagine the NX-01 Enterprise?

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Wingsley, Apr 29, 2007.

1. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's Bernd Schneider's Mauretania over at EAS.

2. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Could we get a confirmation of this line of dialogue? I only recall Scotty referring to the Bonaventure as the first starship fitted with warp drive, not that she was the Federation's first ship with warp drive.

3. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[pulls out TAS DVD and loads up "Time Trap"]

Okay, at 7:22 Scotty says, "Captain, there's the old Bonaventure! She was the first ship to have warp drive installed; she vanished without a trace on her third voyage."

In Alan Dean Foster's Log Four, he writes:

4. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

But as we all know TAS was never considered canon, so it really does not matter.

5. blakbyrd

blakbyrd Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Certain parts of it are canon, though (Capt. April, Spock's youth, etc.). The rest fanon.

6. Irishman

Irishman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the applicable point here is there is no ship design from TAS considered canon.

7. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Along with TAS references I think referencing terms used in the Cage can be a little iffy, the propulsion system sounds very different in the first pilot, and was changed in the second and in the series (and all after it)

8. ex nihilo

ex nihilo Captain Captain

Not this hullabaloo again!

There was a time when it was considered just as valid as anything that appeared on TOS. It was not until the late ‘80s when the marketers got their grubby hands on the property and, using Rodenberry as their puppet, discontinued references to any events of TAS. Never was there an official line that said TAS is not canon – it was only indicated by actions and ignorance that the studio considered it apocryphal.

TAS was created by the same folks that made TOS, involved the same characters and universe, was largely voiced by the original cast, and, now has been released on DVD (this last bit is clearly not evidence of the studio’s stance on TAS, perhaps just an indication); thus, it must be canon. If it smells like TOS, sounds like TOS (for the most part), and looks like TOS (for the most part), it must be TAS and therefore, it “happened”.

If you neglect to include TAS as canon you can effectively remove any element of the Star Trek “on screen” universe from canon that displeases you, including Enterprise (which made reference to elements of TAS).

9. Irishman

See, here's the thing as I see it. (I'm not alone either).

TOS - they built starship models that got their start from pencil sketches. You won't get any argument from me that the E-nil did not get its start from relatively crude pencil sketches.

TAS - the starship pencil sketches only evolved to pen and ink and colored animation cells. They lacked a certain precision, detail and specificity that the models and designs from the TOS possessed. They were not "engineered" in the production sense to the degree that TOS designs were. They were cartoony and crude. They were NOT definitive.

And when I say "they", I mean the Bonaventure, aquateen hunger for....er, um, I mean the aquashuttle, and various alien ships of the week.

10. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not alone on that, then. :thumbsup:

I still havnt found my 3d digital sketch, guys. Been looking.

but have found a half finnished ship, that i designed because i was bored.

Its a design that looks as if it can be an additional class of ship in the latter part of Kirks missions, sort of a cross between TOS/TMP styling.

I could tweek it a little to become a prequal ship though, i suppose.

Ill have it up in a few hours.

On the prequal ship: well, if i can remember what it looked like, it was a few years ago. Hmmmm, i think it consisted of the saucer, it had four engine layout and two sensor 'pods', not seconday hulls.

I'll whip up a basic sketch of it and describe some of the funcions as i go along.

11. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Icy_Penguigo, I'd like to offer my complements to your artwork.

Clear back in the early 1990's, I had thought of what early Federation or pre-Federation starships from Earth might look like. I had thought of them evolving from the DY-series spacecraft, basing part of my assumption on the automated frieghter Woden from TOS "The Ultimate Computer". The Woden had to have at least limited FTL capability, or it wouldn't be much good to the Federation as a frieghter.

Anyway, I imagined the DYellow submarine as the basis for Earth's early starship design, with the tubular hull fitting in at the design-ancestor of the secondary hull of Constitution-class starships several decades later. The conning tower of the DYellow would become the interconnecting dorsal, and the saucer would be incorporated on top.

Then the Phoenix came along in the "First Contact" movie, and I thought it would make a neat twist of the nacelles were positioned along the sides of the main hull instead of being at closer angles on top.

12. Holytomato

Holytomato Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Icy P, I love this design! :hug: :thumbsup:

13. Irishman

Indeed. I actually have come to love the NX design, but I could see these little guys you made serving as the backbone of the UESF.

Bravo!

14. mattwitz

mattwitz Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I also have come to like the NX-class design, but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by your design. The more I look at it, the more I like it.

15. Icy_Penguigo

Icy_Penguigo Captain Captain

Wow, thanks guys! I didn't really think people would pay much attention to this model. I basically made it because I was pissed off about the NX-01 and I wanted to make myself feel better. :p But it's been getting such a good response from people that I may have to finish it the model and texture it. :D

Again, thanks for the compliments everyone! :)

16. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess now you know: creativity is fueled by anger. :lol:

Good to hear you'll be finishing it.

17. TheLoneRedshirt

TheLoneRedshirt Commodore Commodore

^Ditto!

Icy_Penguigo, I sincerely do hope you'll show us more of this design. It just makes sense. While I like it as-is, I'd be intrigued to see how you would further detail it.

18. regemet

regemet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think that the Baton Rouge class from the Star Flight Chronology would have made a good N X 01 Enterprise as she dose resemble the U S S Enterprise N C C 1701 .

19. Capt_Jason

Capt_Jason Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I believe Mister Penguino's design here would function right nicely as a warp field test vehicle.

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

[​IMG]

I just threw this together in the last hour or so, real quick, as a rough idea of how I'd, sort of, invision it.

Those are the impulse engines tucked into the backs of the nacelles.