• Welcome! The TrekBBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans.
    If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Enterprise E

Respectfully, I don't like it at all. An animated show, which has the ability to come up with completely unique designs without worrying about budget, makes a ship that is essentially just an Excelsior with Sovereign nacelles. :rolleyes:
Wasn't it later in Picard season 2? I thought just brand synergy stuff.
 
Wasn't it later in Picard season 2? I thought just brand synergy stuff.

No, that was the Excelsior II, not the Obena. Different ship, and I didn’t like that one either, for other reasons.

I actually really liked the Excelsior II, and with its registry numbers, my new head canon is that a lot of the Excelsiors we see during TNG are actually Excelsior II classes.
 
I actually really liked the Excelsior II, and with its registry numbers, my new head canon is that a lot of the Excelsiors we see during TNG are actually Excelsior II classes.

I've heard sentiments like that before. The thing is, the Excelsior II doesn't really look like a ship that was designed and built decades before the Galaxy class. Nor does it really look like it was refit from older Excelsiors (and the class ship isn't a refit of the original Excelsior anyway.)
 
I prefer an inclusive view towards ship designs, rather than trying to collate them in one nice linear descent-of-man order where each ship most closely resembles the ones immediately before and after it. That kind of thinking is how we end up with the Probert Enterprise-C looking like a 50% morph between the Excelsior and the Galaxy. We’ve seen enough explicitly new designs that have old-fashioned features to prove that false anyway.

For instance, we might’ve assumed that triangle escape pods like on the Sovereign and Akira meant “brand-new ship” in 1996, but we’ve seen plenty of ships that come after those have square escape pods (or escape pod hatches, after Voyager retconned that). The same can be broadly true of any feature or cue; hull curviness, saucer roundness, color, bussard collector style…
 
I would expect it to be a 9, considering that the original Titan was an 80000-series ship and was over twenty years old. Seems odd that there'd be less than 2000 units in the meantime (my headcanon is the class ship is the USS Constitution NCC-91700, though I suppose 81700 works; the Enterprise-A and -B were mostly contemporaries, too).

Yes, the Stargazer was 82xxx, but ships being described as "new" can be superficial and unconvincing (the Enterprise in TMP was almost thirty years old and also almost totally new, the Discovery was 700 units behind the state-of-the-art ships but is accepted as a new-build because of the word of... a civilian... murderer... who thought the floors were too clean...), so Rios's Stargazer could've had some lightyears on it (and it would help with the confusing conversation referring to it as a "refit" if it had just gotten an eighteen-year overhaul).

Registries are sometimes chronological, sometimes not (take the USS Syracuse for one example)

It's also not clear if each block of numbers gets filled at the same time, too. Certainly, the Picard era seems to strongly imply that's not the case, several times.

91701 works better for me, that said; as does 92893, etc.

Would quite have liked to see a Sovereign-class USS Excelsior, too; maybe a Vesta-class or styled similar Voyager-A, likewise.
 
If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Sign up / Register


Back
Top