How desperate are you for a new Trek TV series?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Jedi_Master, Mar 3, 2014.

1. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't want to speak for OpenMaw, but ...

No, you really can't do this now.

As for myself, whenever I get it into my head that I miss Star Trek, I just remember Voyager and Enterprise, and accept the fact that a revival would almost certainly be garbage.

An entirely new spaceships and aliens style sci-fi series with a similar premise to Star Trek but not related in any way? Sure, that I could go for.

2. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

The ironic thing is that while off beat sci fi and fantasy shows are popular now, they'll provide the most competion against a new Trek show.

They have little problems showing graphic nudity, sex, violence and adult language, and still get good ratings and popularity.

If Trek follows the cookie cutter mold and show lightweight style drama and sci fi, is it going to fit in?

Some fans feel Trek is still avoiding hard edged topics and themes.

Will it survive on broadcast TV... if it goes to cable will it survive there, when its going against all these shows that have taken the gloves off?

3. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I really want it...however I don't want it unless it's done right. And no remakes of classics like TNG or DS9 etc. I want a new crew in either the late 24th / early 25th century. I think it would be nice to have guests on playing their characters in their older age like Picard, Janeway, Sisko, Data, etc...but AS GUESTS not the main characters. It would be interesting to see the former cast members interacting with a new crew. The veteran Trek actors could portray their characters as the age they are in the novels currently which is older than their original age in the shows' original runs.

That said, I am enjoying the novels and there are SO MANY of them so I will be busy for a while with those.

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

One thing I haven't really discussed before. I DO love tech...but I feel to the general public, the technobabble in Trek was hurting viewership. JJ ABrams ditched most of it, even to the point of it being an aside in the dialogue and quickly talked over (as with the transporting of Spock from the volcano). If they can do it in a successful movie, a new TV show should be able to minimize it too.

RAMA

5. Captain Kathryn

Although I enjoyed the JJ movies, I wouldn't want the new series to be done in that style. It's fine for a movie, but I would get so sick of it if it were like that on a series.

I would prefer DS9/VOY era style.

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I think this is the answer! There has to be a critical mass where fans and casual interested parties are tired of the admittedly huge pool of episodes and want something new. I kind of think it's slowly started to happen now and will come about by 2016.

7. Captain Kathryn

Same here.

I don't want ANY remakes. Just continue it!

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

NCIS fits the sexy popcorn profile. Might be fun to have a Trek show that can attract that kind of attention.

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I didn't say it had to be or replicate JJTrek, only in one respect...well two: the new show can have themes and ideas, but should revolve around adventure.

RAMA

10. Captain Kathryn

Eh, I don't want JJTrek on TV. It would get old too fast for me. I want DS9 style, but continuing the 24th Century prime timeline.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I don't have an issue with hard edged topics and themes, but if the characters are unlikeable and the stories aren't fun, I'll be tuning out in a hurry.

Might as well cancel it now. :lol:

12. Captain Kathryn

I know...but I want it! :(

Sadface...

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

You're lucky though. Your favorite series has about a hundred more episodes than mine. :lol:

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Well, I don't think Trek can ever count on being the only game in town anymore, which is not necessarily a bad thing. A bit of healthy competition could keep any new series from getting complacent and just giving us the same old, same old one more time.

15. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

I think that any new Trek series would have to be sharply produced, smartly written, and have great acting talent to survive in the modern TV world. It would need a big name producer or actor(s) to get the attention, and I honestly think a studio like Netflix to spend the cash and release the episodes en masse. I would prefer it to be post ENT and pre TOS. It would be fun to rewrite canon and watch the fanboys heads explode, plus I think the story of the Federation's early years has amazing creative potential.

16. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

I remember Garret Wang claimed that on Voyager, the producers wanted the human characters to be really bland so the aliens would stand out.

If that's true, I always noticed when watching Voyager, I thought that the the characters should be interesting, they seem like they should be fun and yet, something was always off.

I don't know-- I liked DS9's style --they were the first to break away from the mold and add more action and hard edge.

For Voyager, it's hard to classify it--I watched it, but it seemed bland at times.

Come to think of it, Trek didn't have any real competition by the time Voyager and Enterprise aired. so you wonder if it was complacency that hurt the franchise.

People are used to seeing a lot more edgier, quirkier stuff now.

Even Nu Trek has frequent cussing, and Kirk looking like he was just in a threesome scene.

In some ways when the franchise was getting weak, it looked like Trek was trying to change it image a little.

I swear, in Nemesis it seemed like they wee trying to be more edgier by having things like dune buggy chases and it came off so weird looking :lol:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  17. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Voyager had plenty of competition: X-Files, Buffy, Xena, etc. But instead of trying to keep up with the times, it was content to mimic TNG's formula and pacing, so that it sometimes seemed old-fashioned compared to the more cutting-edge genre shows of the time.

18. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would be SO COOL to be discussing new Trek EP BY EP again on the BBS :)

19. Captain Kathryn

Voyager is my fave, but DS9 is close. Im assuming yours is TOS? Its a shame it got cancelled so soon. :(

For a new series though, I would prefer DS9-style.

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Considering how the bar has gotten so low on television anything with even a modicum of creativity must have a helluva time getting aired.