Hey, I never noticed that before....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Aug 1, 2015.

1. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

MacGyver created all the show's stock footage using only a paper clip and an old piece of chewing gum!

GNDN18 likes this.
  2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Disavowed by the Secretary Moderator

Connecticut will self-destruct in five seconds
    TIH's "747" was another one based around reused footage. And I recall seeing that crash from Airplane! show up somewhere on TV...may have been that A-Team episode.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  3. C57D

C57D Commander Red Shirt

And of course Airwolf always ended with that same clip with the fancy maneuver.

4. Spock's Barber

Spock's Barber Commodore Commodore

In the teaser of Catspaw, Kirk and Spock leave the bridge to go to the transporter room but only Kirk arrives there. Spock-o must have stopped at the nearest bathroom for a second.

Spocko likes this.
  5. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I remember that.
    I always wondered what happened to Spock. I suppose story-wise Kirk could have sent Spock on some errand but he would have explained it on screen.

6. johnnybear

johnnybear Commodore Commodore

I always noticed the difference between the grids and the bulbs on the nacelles! I assumed the grids meant that the main plasma engines were closed at that time!
    JB

7. Maurice

Maurice Vice Admiral Premium Member

That's from the beginning of the movie.

8. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Disavowed by the Secretary Moderator

Connecticut will self-destruct in five seconds
    Surely you can't be right!

GNDN18 likes this.
  9. Spock's Barber

I didn't notice.....was that movie a comedy? :whistle:

10. JonnyQuest037

Thanks for the correction.

11. johnnybear

johnnybear Commodore Commodore

At least Lloyd Bridges tried to give up sniffing glue while he was upside down, doesn't that count for anything?
    JB

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    Spock's Barber likes this.
  12. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Premium Member

Here's one I picked up on the last time I saw "The Cage." This is about thirty seconds before Pike says he can't get used to a woman on the bridge, Number One excepted. It's probably a pretty easy prejudice to hold on to if you can't even see who you're standing next to.

GNDN18 likes this.
  13. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Captain Captain

Good one. Such a dumb line to begin with.

Markonian likes this.
  14. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Commodore Commodore

I'd bet the "I can't get used to a woman" line was written early in the pilot's development, when GR's mental imagery was based on the Navy or Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, and very little thought had been given to futurism yet. And the silent crewman at the bridge printout station hadn't been cast, so he didn't know it would be a woman.

Even so, it's amazing that GR would have Pike say this blindly oafish thing about himself, to a woman, about another woman, regardless of there being a third woman present or not. It goes beyond "early installment weirdness." All I can think of is that it was a very clumsy, wooden attempt at comedy. It's supposed to be laugh line at Number One's expense, and it doesn't work. It comes off at Pike's expense.

15. Vger23

Vger23 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I do appreciate that it was cut from the version shown in "The Menagerie " though. At least it shows that maybe they realized how awful it was in fairly short order.

Markonian likes this.
  16. JonnyQuest037

I wonder if it was just cut for time, though. It's not particularly relevant to the plot.

I know they cut out the bit about Spock abandoning Pike on Talos IV because it didn't paint Spock in a particularly good light and it certainly didn't jibe with the framing story where Spock was willing to risk his career and his life for Pike's happiness.

Phaser Two likes this.
  17. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What that Spock scene definitely cut for those reasons? I always just assumed that it was a timing issue (it saves a minute or so and isn't really relevant to main Pike/Vina story)

18. mb22

mb22 Captain Captain

They didn't cut out his smiling at the plant or "the women!", though doing that may have affected the flow of the scene.

19. Spock's Barber

Go, Spock, go!

20. Spock's Barber

Way To Eden....Kirk and company beam down to Eden right next to some purple flowers. Chekov walks up a small mound where he gets burned by some yellow flowers. Then when Kirk spots the Shuttlecraft, there is a wide shot of the vessel that shows the purple flowers, small mound of grass and yellow flowers in the foreground area where Kirk and friends are supposed to be standing, except they are missing. Small set, limited shooting angles.