Hey, I never noticed that before....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Aug 1, 2015.

1. dupersuper

dupersuper Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I find it odd that he leapt to the conclusion that it was something in the atmosphere rather than just the aliens natural lifespans. Did he freak out when he learned how long Vulcans lived? Did he join Starfleet hoping he could get stationed on Vulcan and start downing plomeek soup?

Phaser Two and Henoch like this.
  2. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

He'd have a good reason to think in terms of the unnatural. The planet was polluted by a horrible bioweapon that had killed Tracey's crew. Supposedly the weapon had originally been intended to kill the natives, though. These natives were not dead, so something new had emerged on the planet to protect them, after the introduction of the weapon - either the warring sides had developed an antidote, or then the local conditions unexpectedly provided one.

That this antidote might be connected to the amazing longevity is the leap. But Tracey explains his logic there: he feels the longevity is the consequence of these people being amazingly healthy. And this health can logically be credited to the antidote, because it's so unnatural to Tracey, and the antidote is the one out of the two unnatural things he already has established as being present on the planet (the other being the weapon) that could in theory give perfect health.

Mind you, an antidote in the air does exist - this is why our heroes survive. The naturally long lives are an independent phenomenon, not something Tracey could deduce from the other evidence, but the evidence in turn is fully suggestive of it not being an independent phenomenon!

The interesting thing here is that Tracey's illegal actions are not logically related to the longevity thing at all. There's nothing selfish about him siding with the losing side in a genocidal war when he could get his purported antidote from the winning side just as well (and when he himself is a natural candidate for a member of the winning side, by looks!). Only what he next proposes (but never achieves) smacks of selfishness, but buying one's way out of Starfleet execution pits with the antidote sounds like a victimless crime...

Timo Saloniemi

3. Henoch

Henoch Rear Admiral Premium Member

...except for the thousands of Kohms that he killed. :wah:

4. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

"We the people" is the beginning of the constitution, not the pledge of allegiance.

5. BK613

BK613 Commodore Commodore

Kirk finishes the Pledge of Allegiance first.
    KIRK: And to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all. ​

6. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

The gibberish that the alien guy mumbles is a distortion of "We the people"

7. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Btw, "under God" is a late addition, it wasn't in the original text.

JonnyQuest037 and nightwind1 like this.
  8. BK613

Not at the beginning.
    CLOUD: I am Cloud William, chief. Also son of chief. Guardian of the holies, speaker of the holy words, leader of warriors. Many have died, but this is the last of the Kohm places. What is ours is ours again.
    (He goes over to the flag and puts his left hand over his heart.)
    CLOUD: Aypledgli ianectu flaggen tupep kile for stahn
    KIRK: And to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all. *​
    Later:
    CLOUD: Greatest of holies. Chiefs and sons of chiefs may speak the words, but the Evil One's tongue would surely turn to fire. I will begin. You shall finish. Ee'dplebnista norkohn forkohn perfectunun.
    KIRK: Those words are familiar. Wait a moment.
    I know. But obviously, it was there in the late 1960s.

*(And to quote Jennifer Lopez, “Una nación, bajo Dios, indivisible, con libertad y justicia para todos!” :D )

9. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Yeah, 1954!!!

Evidently, these quirky aliens were privy to the vagaries of modern political expediency...

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  10. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was put in to counter the Godless Kohms, er, Commies.

JonnyQuest037 and Henoch like this.
  11. BK613

12. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

:guffaw:

13. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We all know the story of Robert Walker, Jr. ("Charlie X") purposely not being social with the regulars, keeping himself isolated to better create the emotional state of a young outcast. But I just now read a 2011 interview with Sissy Spacek in Fangoria #306, and she reports doing exactly the same thing while filming Carrie. She doesn't mention Star Trek, of course, but she put herself through the same uncomfortable method.

And when you think about it, Carrie White has a few things in common with Charlie Evans, beyond just having no friends. So... I just noticed that. :bolian:

Phaser Two and JonnyQuest037 like this.
  14. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think, what I've read, this was not uncommon for "method" acting.

Pretty smart, for those two things named.

It reminds me how it always bugs me when I see a baseball player get to first and start chatting away with the opposing first baseman.

StarCruiser likes this.
  15. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes! They should play the part, not just the game. Same with newscasters: they have to "act" the sad news whether it saddens them or not. As Judy Greer once said on The Big Bang Theory, "It's so much better when everyone commits."

16. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I hear Morgan Woodward almost drove himself insane, playing a crazy man.

17. ssosmcin

ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I did theater for a number of years and while I was never a strict method actor, I did adhere to the Meisner system. I was the lead in a production of The Pillowman and in order to get myself into an honest place dealing with true evil and ugliness, I had to embrace a very dark side. My wife still talks about about that three month timespan when I was a miserable shite and the two weeks of depression which followed the closing of the show because I couldn’t shake the character. It was crazy, but the best performance I ever gave.

18. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

"Whenever Poochie's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking, 'Where's Poochie?'"
    I did a production of The Pillowman back in 2014. I was Tupolski. Tough show to do!

Methuselah Flint likes this.
  19. ssosmcin

ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I feel ya, brother. I was Katurian. Tuploski almost broke my arm. And that wasn't even the hardest part of that show!

20. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral