Hey, I never noticed that before....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Aug 1, 2015.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

The difference would be not behaving as Korby would. That was a point that the episode made. The whole idea of creating a race of android duplicates covertly "infiltrated into society" as he put it was one that the real Korby never would have promoted in the first place. Ergo, the consciousness in the android was not an exact copy of Korby's, probably for multiple reasons.

Chapel was there to referee that he wasn't the real Korby, as she did.

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Per the daily production report and shooting script, it was cut from the script before production and was never filmed. (Cushman reports otherwise in his book...wrong again).

3. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So the device that transported Korby's mind into the android body either malfunctioned or it only took the logical thought processes! Is that what you mean, Cosmic Consciousness?
    JB

4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Imagine my surprise...

Methuselah Flint likes this.
  5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't really believe she'd know squat, though. The two didn't appear to spend any time together; she was just donning a rose-colored space helmet in order to go after a dream.

Korby didn't appear to spend time together with anybody much, for that matter. I could easily see him coming to believe that mankind was, if not a bug to be squashed, then at least an ailment to be cured. What else could he deduce from his studies of all these advanced nonhuman cultures?

I think I like JohnnyBear's take here, however. The machine might not have as much "malfunctioned" as "improved": it would have an agenda built in, and this inhuman agenda, inherited from either the Ancients or their servants, would fit into Korby's transferred mind like a lab coat on a mad scientist.

Timo Saloniemi

6. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

WHAT?!

7. MAGolding

MAGolding Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As I remember from The Making of Star Trek they rented an elephant but never got to use it in the episode.

8. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

haha at "you can rent elephants"

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It's Hollywood, of course you can.

10. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not necessarily either option exactly.

The machine is clearly able to transfer some, or in some sense perhaps even most, of a person's mind. But the idea would be that there are some aspects of consciousness that the machine is unable to transfer. The reasons for that inability could be any combination of several factors, such as:

- Perhaps some aspects of consciousness were beyond the capability of the machine to transfer, perhaps because they were simply beyond the comprehension of the old ones/the designers. That wouldn't necessarily mean that the aspects of consciousness that the machine is unable to cope with are illogical. Perhaps they are logical, but that logic cannot be codified in a finite way, or in a way that the designers knew and understood to the fullest extent, or in a way that would by their understanding lend those aspects to be transferred via machine in their entirety.

- Perhaps neither Ruk nor any of the other androids present knew how to operate the machine correctly; perhaps Ruk knew at one point but had forgotten. Perhaps some of the calibrated settings had drifted over time, and the androids did not understand that they needed to compensate for the changes. If you want to characterize that last possibility as a malfunction, you could, but it would be one that could be corrected for without actually rebuilding any hardware, but rather via re-initialization/re-calibration.

- Perhaps the machine worked better on the people of Exo III than on humans.

johnnybear, Timo and J.T.B. like this.
  11. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Ah, yes, popcorn in your hand, children cheering at your side, and in its trunk, held high, fluttering in the breeze...the flag of the Federation. Station!"

Spocko, Gingerbread Demon and Mytran like this.
  12. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Do you want to know more?

Oops wrong Federation

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  13. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder if they ever considered using coconuts instead. ;)
    Walter Koenig states in Allen Asherman's The Star Trek Interview Book that he and the other stars of "Spectre of the Gun" were doing a photo shoot on horseback for a fan magazine when they found out that Star Trek's time slot was being switched to Fridays at 10 for the third season. (It's on pages 79-80 in my edition.)

Phaser Two likes this.
  14. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

But did they have the budget for two trained African swallows?

Timo Saloniemi

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  15. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Too many pages to check if it's been mentioned, but it took me decades to notice that the top of the transporter console was actually black in The Corbomite Maneuver. In Mudd's Women, it's the usual red.

16. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well for a time - it WAS doing double duty as the Helm/Navigation console as well as the Transporter console. ;)

17. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not the actual “series version” transporter console. That was new in TCM and was black for that one episode only

CorporalCaptain and Phaser Two like this.
  18. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Spocko likes this.
  19. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Desilu did it once before....

[​IMG]

20. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Image link broken. I don't think we can hotlink pix from Pinterest.