Hey, I never noticed that before....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, well, it's the scene from the season 1 I Love Lucy episode "The Kleptomaniac", where Lucy claims to have "pickpocketed" an elephant from the Clive Beatty Circus.

Also in season 1 of The Lucy Show, "Lucy Misplaces $2,000", one of the $500 bills is found under an elephant's foot.

2. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, to clarify, the "offer" to Uhura in "I, Mudd" was not a consciousness transfer like Ruk's machine. Alice (fill in the number) clearly stated they could place Uhura's physical brain within an artificial body, one that could supposedly function for 500,000 years. Uhura would not have been an android (notice we rarely use the term "gynoid") but rather a "full conversion" cyborg (hopefully more akin to Motoko Kusanagi ("Ghost in the Shell") or Alita/Gally ("Battle Angel")rather than a Mondasian or Telosian Cyberman ("Doctor Who")). In that scenario, there'd be less debate as to whether or not it's really "her".

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  3. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...Until we start debating what needs to be done to the brain to keep it alive for half a million years!

Note that when we saw Federation cybernetics in action in DSC, they "saved" a character by repairing the body into a clearly robotic version - but also by repairing the brain into something it never was before, with a memory that overflows unless pruned every day. One wonders how much of that was due to the original damage to poor Airiam, and how much to the poor quality of the transfer/plugging-in process.

Timo Saloniemi

4. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DSC resides in a different continuity to TOS! :techman:
    JB

Forbin likes this.
  5. ItsGreen

ItsGreen Captain Captain

Did you ever notice in "The Deadly Years" that during the competency hearing they put Shatner in a tunic/shirt a size too big to make him look older and thinner! The shirt is baggy, looks wrinkled on his body and the arm length is too long. They may have put him in a larger shirt earlier earlier in the episode but this one is the largest. Nice detail by the makeup/wardrobe department! When he takes the cure and arrives back on the bridge he is back to his normal fitting shirt! I wonder if this larger shirt was custom made for this episode or already in stock?
    [​IMG]

6. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

Did you also notice the belly pooch? Excellent touch. I wonder if Shat just stuck out his gut, or did he wear a false pooch?

johnnybear likes this.
  7. MAGolding

MAGolding Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The computer estimated Kirk's physiological age to be 60 to 72, I think. Has anyone ever compared how Shatner looked about 1991-2003 to see how accurate the depiction was?

8. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

Yes, it was done last year sometime, but don't know when or where.

9. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think I was the one who did it. The photo I used was probably after 2003. Below is one from January 2003 (of course there is the hairpiece/transplant factor):
    [​IMG]

10. Timo

...In theory, if your body suddenly decides to become old, losing of body weight is more likely than gaining it, unless you somehow also gain access to the food required. Binge eating might have been something we'd spot in the episode, while frequent toilet visits might go unnoticed. In theory.

As for hair, well, the one way to explain how one might go grey and balding in a few hours, and then recover, is to assume he had a senior moment with his wig.

Timo Saloniemi

11. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But the actors had wigs not the characters...

12. Timo

Unless we take into account "Deadly Years"...

(Really, Kirk wearing a piece might well fit his wildly varying hairstyles, by which I mean actual hair types. But McCoy, too, goes grey here. Or more so, at any rate. Perhaps the two tried a popular cure, and it only came in blonde?)

Timo Saloniemi

13. Ssosmcin

I find it hard to believe this would be foremost on Kirk's mind in the few hours this episode takes place.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  14. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

Caught the start of "Day of the Dove" on TV today
    First time I'd seen any part of it for years
    Hey, I never noticed before that some of the Klingons had better "Monkees" hairdos than Chekov.

15. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

Here we come
    Marchin' down the street
    We get the funniest looks (of fear) from
    Everyone we meet
    Hey, hey, we're the Klingons
    And people say we slaughter around
    But we're too busy conquering
    To put anybody down (except hostages)
    We go wherever we want to
    Do what we like to do
    We don't have time to get sentimental
    There's always something new to conquer

16. Ssosmcin

One thing I think I always noticed, but didn’t really start jumping out at me until I started looking for more things details after so many years of watching the series are these reports that various officers give to whoever is in command at the moment. And they always scribble a signature without looking.

I understand Captain Kirk getting these. I can understand Spock, as the exec, getting them when the captain is off the ship. But we’ve also seen Scotty getting him when he’s dictating a log. However, the most outrageous was Commodore Decker getting one while in the middle of a pitched battle with the planet killer. The girl and the clipboard on the arm of the command chair is only in one shot, but it’s there. What report could possibly be so vital that it requires the signature - at that moment - of the commanding officer when said commanding officer is an unhinged Commodore who forcibly took control of the ship and is in the middle of fighting a giant space super weapon?

Was this a precedent established by Captain Pike? He pretty much put the fear of God into Yeoman Colt to make sure she gets her reports to him by 0500.

17. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

Yeah, he looks much better in real life as an older guy than he did onscreen!

18. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

LOL, good call.

There are so many cool things about that scene. The "devil" exchange. Kang v. Kirk. And I like how the Klingons are holding the landing party's weapons and equipment - including tricorders slung around shoulders - which was a nice touch from the production team.

Delta Vega likes this.
  19. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

You inspired me:

Here we come
    In our battle fleet
    We get frightenest looks from
    Anyone Starfleet

O-bey, we are Klingons
    Brutality and violence abounds
    And it's our wild upbringing
    That makes us put you down

We land wherever we want to
    Take what we need from you
    If populations get restless
    Just vaporize a few!

Say, hey, we're the Klingons
    Another solar system we've found
    So we're gloriously bringing
    Another big fleet smack down

Don't think we're unfriendly
    Violence is just our way
    Til the "Next Generation"
    When "honor" is all we'll say​

20. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

My favorite bit of the opening in the point where Kang (Michael Ansara, who did a great job with any scene he was in for the episode) just walks right up, saying not a word and in one swift motion bitch-slaps Kirk to the ground. IMO a great and simple way to set up that this character is a powerful enemy to be feared and won't take any crap.