Spoilers Gotham: the final season

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Astra

Astra Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think people like me who don't have much knowledge of the comics and how the stories are supposed to go can enjoy it more as they take it for what it is.

I came into it with no expections, I only wanted to check it out before buying the action figures solely for the awesome displays. I had some knowledge of the Batman universe mainly through the movies but not as deeply as some experts here who know all the villains.

I stayed for the wonderful actors and characters that really grabbed me. I truly love every single one of them. I don't have just one favorite and am bored if attention is spent on someone else. They're all wonderful. The show has changed a lot over the years but I am still in for the whole ride.

Yes, it sometimes was totally crazy and over the top, dark and hilarious at the same time but the relationship between Alfred and Bruce always grounded it again and was my main reason to watch. Plus the wonderful look of the city, the whole work of the set and prop department, the mix of vintage technology and cars. And let's not forget all the ladie's hairstyles! It's a piece of art. Took me only till recently to realize that Gotham comes from Gothic... Yeah.

When I started properly at the beginning to catch up I also read some old threads and there was a lot of hate for the way Sean Pertwee played Alfred. A lot of those haters have come around now and love him, realizing finally what it was they were trying to do.

I've found a new fandom now (Orville *cough*) so I am even fine with it ending properly and not as sad as I was some months ago. Not every show gets the chance to put up a proper end and instead ends on a cliffhanger. I'm thankful for the time we got. It even brought me back to conventions and meeting actors after I was ready to give up on that.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm a huge Batman fan, and I absolutely love Gotham. Yeah, it's definitely not as close to the comics as the Arrowverse or MCU shows, but it's just so crazy, and ridiculous and over the top, I can't help but love it.

Ovation likes this.
  3. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

I'm not that bothered about it sticking to the comics but I think the last 2 seasons have been pretty bad. I'd regard it much higher if it had ended in Season 3. The writing just hasn't been good for anyone other than Penguin, Bruce and maybe Selina. I'd include Jerome too but I have no love for Jeremiah. I'm hoping he's more like Jerome now he's finally The Joker. Barbara has been good this season though. I'll give her that.

4. jbny67

jbny67 Captain Captain

5. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Awwww. Baby Batgirl.

6. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like next week’s episode will be my first Gotham episode.

Skipper and Sketcher like this.
  7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked Ed's ace playing card for a pocket square. Not sure if that was the first time or the first time I noticed but it's a cool touch. And we officially have baby Barbara now.

This season has been a bit samey-samey from week to week as it winds down so I think it's bowing out at the right time. That said, I'm really looking forward to the finale next week.

8. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I found myself bored through the early part of the season. I think it improved once Eduardo showed up. It felt like they were spinning their wheels a little bit before that.

For one actor this episode was their last episode of the series

Galileo7 likes this.
  9. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No response about what was REALLY the last episode (with next week being the denouement / coda)????

So who did we miss when Bruce walked out of GCPD and they played that ominious music?

[LEFT][SIZE=14px][COLOR=rgb(255, 255, 255)]
    So what is future Barbara supposed to be? Is that supposed to be her natural hair? And still alive??? (sorry for that spoiler), No mustache for Jim?

Really weird how Bruce left like that (at least for one connection)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/LEFT]

A couple quick thoughts of the series as a whole...

they had a REALLY well cast of characters (with a couple of exceptions). I hate the storylines that some people went through... things that weren't necessary (like Catwoman having powers, Ed having 2 personalities...)

Or all the Batman stories already told (like Bane reminded me of the Dark Knight movie)…

Hope we get a reunion in 10-15 years with most of the same cast...

That was pretty bogus.... I think with a little bit of make up/hair dressing, it would have been fine.

The original however was most gracious about it

10. Enterprise is Great

This season did feel a bit like a remake of The Dark Knight Rises.

I wonder if Nyssa Al Ghul will be back in the finale. She's not one to let things go.

11. Enterprise is Great

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was pretty happy with how they tied things up for the present day last week, and now I'm really looking forward to tonight's finale.

13. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Keep in mind, I barely have watched the show and turned in for finale...

I thought that was awful. It reminded me of the Smallville finale. They did everything to avoid actually naming him Batman and you only see him in the last shot. At least on Smallville Clark is a character through out his whole finale. Here Bruce is talked about but barely appears at all. Which badly effected the whole hour. It did not feel like an actual story but random scenes strung together,

14. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

So "Gotham" is over. It's a tad better than "Smallville's" finale in that it got to show a bit more but everything felt rushed.

So yeah. The suit still didn't look any better than the leak from a month ago.

[​IMG]

15. Kirk Prime

Kirk Prime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was definitely reminiscent of the Smallville finale, but unlike that finale, I don't feel cheated.

Smallville was Clark's story, and the show waited too long for Clark to become Superman. He was literally doing Superman's schtick, except he couldn't fly and didn't wear the uniform. The whole no tights/no flights thing ran its course after the 5th season. Clark had developed to the point he was ready long before that finale.

My issue though was that we didn't really get to see Superman in the suit. So it was a big disappointment.

I would have liked to have seen more of actual Batman. I get why they did what they did, and I don't quite feel as cheated as I did with Smallville, but I did want more actual Batman.

If anything, I'd love a Batman spinoff, even though no chance of that happening.

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I drifted away from the show a few seasons ago, more for lack of time than anything else, but I tuned in for the finale last night, figuring the ten-year-jump would mean that I wouldn't be too much at sea.

And, yeah, I found it a satisfying victory lap in which we finally got to see the cast become the iconic characters we've been waiting for. Okay, switching out Selina at the last minute was a bit of a cheat, but the "adult" Selina was a good likeness. To be honest, if I hadn't read elsewhere that it was a different actress, I might not have been aware of the switch.

As for Batman . . . I think they stuck the landing in a way SMALLVILLE didn't. As the episode went on, I was afraid that they were going to go the SMALLVILLE route and just tease us with glimpses of a caped figure, a few quick blurs and silhouettes, and startled reaction shots from other characters, but, no, we got a money shot of Batman at the very end.

It was not a full-fledged, hour-long BATMAN movie, but it was a pay-off to all the prequel stuff. Mission accomplished.

Skipper and Ovation like this.
  17. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ The main actress for Selina said for whatever reason she didn't feel right playing the future character and gave her blessing to using Lili Collins (EDIT: oops Simmons) instead and worked with her for the transition.

As to the episode, it was OK, but this whole season just hasn't been firing on all cylinders but I'm glad they got to go out on what seems to be their own terms, at least.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  18. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cameron is probably still too baby-cheeks cute to play herself at almost 30. I missed her, but I understand the decision.

19. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

I only watched the first season really.
    I caught bits of this last season as a show I watch, The Orville comes on afterward,
    But it really felt like Ayn Rand's book, "Atlas Shrugged" in the past few episodes. Yea, more horror etc. which is better for TV but to me it had that general look/ feel.
    Will there ever be any new concepts or is all just seemingly rehashed stuff from by gone years?

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was pretty happy with it, it wasn't amazing, but I liked it. I was surprised we didn't get more Batman, but since the show really was supposed to more about Jim Gordon I was pretty happy that it did focus on him so much. I did like the build up to the big Batman appearance at the end.
    It was a lot of fun seeing everybody in their comic book roles, the only thing that kind of bothered me was the really bad fat suit they had Robin Lord Taylor in.
    I was surprised how much Lilli Simmons looks like Camren Bicondova.

Ovation likes this.