Giving STO Another Try

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by JD, Jun 17, 2020.

1. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

What?! The event still has one more 700 pointer to go, or did I miss one? I'm only on 2800.

2. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

You must have missed one.

3. silent_space_fart

silent_space_fart Cadet Newbie

hi, new here. I once tried STO but the thing that stopped me playing was because it was an mmo. It was nice you could play solo but I dispise always online games. I can't invest my time in something that is online based with single player.

I wish a new trek game came out similar but proper single player, not mmo, could still be an RPG but i hate mmo games. I'm surprised it's still going strong today....makes me sad for the future of trek games as STO is basically all we've had for several years now. it sucks.

4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

You can keep earning progress until the event ends. The number of days is just for the event reward, not event campaign progress.
    If you did every single day for the last events you would have got it with event 4.

No the event campaign is 5 events this year, the 4th one is about to end.

They didn't miss one, they just did the bare minimum during each event.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  5. matthunter

Right, thanks - was worried there for a mo. I don't need that much dilithium that I'm willing to keep grinding these events past the reward, so I'm aiming to hit the minimum for the 5 events, as you say.

Am also pissed off today as I spent 3500 Zen yesterday buying a T5 Ranger (for the TOS skin unlock) and a T6 Paladin, only to find out this morning that the Temporal Agent Starter Pack has the T6 Pally in it and is discounted to 1400 Zen!!! I could have gotten the Paladin AND a ton of other TOS stuff for that instead of 2100 just for the ship! AAAAARRRRGGHHH!

I wish they'd tell you if a ship you're looking at is available as part of bundles so you can compare options.

6. matthunter

Next event (not sure if part of the campaign) focuses on the Mirror Universe. 20 daily progress by playing the new Operation Wolf TFO, the old Counterpoint TFO, the new mission Firewall or the old mission Jabberwocky will net you a T6 Mirror Gagarin Warship. The first character per account to claim it also gets 8 Agony Phaser space weapons (type of your choice) and 3 Ultimate Beam/Projectile Tech Upgrades. See here for ship stats:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11497343

ichab likes this.
  7. matthunter

They've also introduced a similar system to the T6-X upgrades but for your Captains:

8. matthunter

Played Firewall last night - not a bad mission though forcing another "team up with the villain" thing is getting tedious. When Leeta asked "do I sound like that?" when Mirror Kuumarke issued a villainous threat, I wanted to reply with "to be fair, you both sound like Sela, and it was old when she did it".

Wonder why they didn't include Attack on Terok Nor in the TFOs? Is it bugged or failable? Everything they've used seems very ground-heavy (even Firewall is probably 70-80% ground)...

9. Eckauskas

Eckauskas Commander Red Shirt

I had a similar experience where I bought the Aventine* class ship so I could have the Zheng-He but it turned out it wasn't a skin you could just apply. 3,500 Zen wasted.

*I can't remember if this is the exact class, I don't think it's the Vesta.

10. Haggis and tatties

So there is a free terren bundle to claim on one charactor on the STO store, plus if you have the Epic store there is another free mirror uni bundle to claim for one toon.(for the epic one you need to launch the game via the epic store just once for it to appear in your STO account in the promotion tab of the c store.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  11. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I was enjoying it but all this Discovery stuff took me out of it. I hope they get back to the DS9 stuff one day.
    That special they did with Michael and Seven was good though. Seven actually felt like her character there, unlike in Picard.

12. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Thank you for the heads' up. Hopefully this will appear on the consoles in November as well.

13. Haggis and tatties

14. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Sadly, that one says “PC only”. :(

15. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep. We console junkies will have to wait for it.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  16. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

17. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Claimed here as well but I think o already own that. I thought they were lockbox keys

18. Paul B. Hartzog

Paul B. Hartzog Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

19. Seb_O_91

Seb_O_91 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Been really getting back into this after a fairly long break. I tend to play really intensely for a while and then leave it for a few months which works well as my monthly Zen builds up. Managed to get my character up to Captain, still have a ton of episodes/missions to work through but thoroughly enjoyed the featured Klingon ones recently. Finding the New Romulus stuff which I'm currently on a bit of a slog, probably because it's mainly ground based. Rather frustratingly I just got the Temporal Agent pack before the giveaway.

I get what you mean, I'm not a massive fan of online multiplayer (the only comparable thing to STO I go on is iRacing) but kept coming back to STO because of the immersion factor. I also think that there's so much (effectively) single player stuff on there that I still feel like I get my money's worth just working through the missions.

I have a lot of nostalgia for Bridge Commander though, with all the mods I had so much fun as a kid. I wish that STO controlled like BC and you could do it from the bridge. I suppose that STO with Elite Force ground controls and BC space controls would be my ultimate game.

20. matthunter

If you think the New Romulus stuff is a slog now, you used to have to unlock Reputation tiers to access the different missions...

137th Gebirg likes this.