Ghostbusters live action series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Samurai8472, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Would the show fly? I've always thought Ghostbusters had vague and general similarities to Stargate SG-1.

2. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

you mean like this

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would be better if they were all something hipper and more trendy - like werewolves.

4. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

"Werewolf Vampire-Slaying Ghostbuster Chicks" is a show I'd watch every week! :techman:

5. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I've always thought the exact same thing. Although, instead of having the original four characters, maybe have it be a "next gen" type of thing (particularly if the series is in the same continuity of the previous films and is set in present day).

6. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

Sounds great. I can't wait to see the episode where the gang hop into their Ford Explorer Ecto 2 and head out to stop a half naked ghost named Reitman, who's scaring the crap out of customers at a local Staples by throwing bags of Chipotle Ranch Doritos at everybody. I just hope the team remembered to power up their iPacks before they left.

7. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

You never know...

I said back in the early part of this decade, "Why not make a Terminator TV show?" and everyone laughed at me... :p

8. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

They had a cartoon like that.

9. Samurai8472

Extreme Ghostbusters for the win. A live action ghostbusters series could be just that.

A recast and older Egon(unless Ramis wants to be in the show) Or he or Aykrod could be producers

Lucifer could be a season finale or an on going arc

10. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, doing a spin on the EG concept. I would say that you can pull in Ramis or Aykrod to do a guest spot in the pilot or something and go from there. I suppose they can be given a producer credit, but I guess that depends on how much they want to be involved with the show. Maybe they can be producers in name only if they want little to do with it.

11. MikeGainer

MikeGainer too fat to fish Fleet Captain

Ugh! Those chicks got to be really really hot to justify the plot.

12. warriorsfan

warriorsfan Admiral Admiral

Oh God, PLEASE not let it be anything like Extreme Ghostbusters. Come on, wheelchair dude? Emo chick? Lame. I don't want to watch a bunch of hip diverse teenagers fighting ghosts, leave that shit for the CW.

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I was thinking myself when watching GB1 if a live-action series could work, and I really think it could esp. with today's production values and quality control. (Such as it is.)

Unfortuanly, I think it could only work with "these" characters so they'd have to be recast parts (which puts a strain on it working) but I think it would be pretty neat and I really think it'd be an interesting show. Especially if, say, it was done in a CSI-like vain.

14. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

It would take a lot of planning in advance, and input (and writing) for the wirters of the first movie and creators, otherwise I don't see how a live action series based on the film could do anything but betray it's roots and fanbase.

15. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I never really got the concept of Ghostbusters as an ongoing franchise. The first movie was a lot of fun, but anything beyond that is just telling the same joke over and over again.

16. Samurai8472

It could start out small like the first seasons of Stargate SG-1. There would inevitably be filler episodes with ghosts we'd never heard from again and some that could be reoccurring.

The first season could build up like the first movie. More and more ghosts are appearing until we get to the big bad for the season finale.

There would have to be a "Apophis" type villain.

Some episodes could even involve dead family members. This would give the actors a time to shine.

"Egon says he has a way to bring back my Mother!"

"Peter......let her go"

17. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Hmm I always liked it, then again I was fairly young when it was on.

18. Manticore

Manticore Manticore, A moment ago Account Deleted

I liked it too, though I was twelve when it was on. I did recognize that it was essentially PC gone amuck even then, though.

And Kylie was goth, not emo, get it right. I say this because goth girls are hot, and emo aren't. :p

19. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

I've never understood the appeal of a next gen type GB show. The Real Ghostbusters showed that with good writing you could use the original characters in new ways.

Why not simply recast the original characters, ignore GB2 and do a follow up series to the original movie? Indeed, it might be worthwile to make it a period piece and set it in the 80s.

You could do some funny stuff with oversized eighties tech.

20. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. It's kind of like Tremors in that way-- the fun is all in watching these characters figure stuff out and band together for the first time.

Once they and we know all the rules, it just becomes another ho-hum, routine mission. Which is what we saw happening in Ghostbusters 2.