General Trek Questions and Observations

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by The Old Mixer, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Umaru Bayi

Umaru Bayi Cadet Newbie

Hello, new to the forum and this is my first post, I was hoping someone could identify for me the ship at the bottom left hand corner of this picture, the small dark grey ship.

https://m.imgur.com/PDCdEnk

Thanks.

2. Six of Twelve

Six of Twelve Captain Captain

I've always wondered how Janeway could ruin food when she's making it with a replicator.

3. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because the replicator made the food exactly as Janeway told it to?
    The NX-Delta. A one off test-bed for new ideas and new equipment.

4. Umaru Bayi

Umaru Bayi Cadet Newbie

Thanks a lot!

5. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's on e of the ships you see in the opening titles of Enterprise. I think you only see it from behind in the titles. Can't recall the name, but it does have one.

6. Umaru Bayi

Umaru Bayi Cadet Newbie

Got the name (NX-Delta), thanks. Tenacity got it for me.

7. Tesophius

Tesophius Captain Captain

I've been thinking about how to group Trek fans into generalized but distinct groups. Maybe later we can organize a poll, it would be interesting which group dominates.

Why Trekkies love Trek:

A) Humor and action
    B) Character driven conflict, wars and politics
    C) Philosophy and tackling issues of morality
    D) Exploring novel Science Fiction ideas

What's missing here, what should be added? Some people might like more than one category or all of them.

8. Six of Twelve

. Janeway had mentioned the recipe was from her aunt(or some other relative), who presumably made it by replicator and it had no doubt tasted good or else Janeway wouldn't have wanted the recipe. So I don't see how Janeway could have screwed up just entering instructions into a replicator - unless her aunt (or whomever) purposely gave her the wrong replicator instructions. Programming a replicator is a totally different skill than actual cooking.

9. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whatever's become of the French language in the 24th Century? TNG's episode "11001001" shows Picard speaking conversational French with Minuet for a full minute, or so. After that, French seemed to transmogrify into Queen's English, except for the occasional "merde" or colloquial French phrase, such as c'est la vie. French is the sexiest language Humanity's, as yet, invented, or come up with. I refuse to believe we'd ever abandon and replace it, in this way ...

10. Ensign Ellora Dannan

Ensign Ellora Dannan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I know how you feel. I studied French in High School. It was my choice for language. Darned if I can remember a lot of it. Some phrases, maybe. I agree its the sexiest language to learn though. I think I'll re-study it.

2takesfrakes likes this.
  11. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We learn it in Ontario from grade 4 until grade 9 (mandatory), but I took it all the way into grade 12. By grade 10, there were only a couple of guys in my class, and 11 and 12, it was all girls (mostly the same ones). Don't ask me to compose an essay in the language - I don't remember as much as I should, but I can watch a TV show with captions and have some idea what's happening.

Apparently, "cotton candy" in French is "Barbe du Papa" (Dad's beard). :ack:

12. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

From the discussion on the previous page, what is NASA's terminology to refer to a unit of a star(s) and the planets orbiting it? Solar system? Star system? Stellar system?

13. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Had Riker's beard smelled of cotton candy, Deanna probably wouldn't have said "yuck!" to it in STAR TREK: INSURRECTION!

14. Forbin

I took a few years of it au lycee too, and really only remember some key phrases. But last year we had a French woman at the register in the company cafeteria. It was fun to get in some practice. She'd been in the US since she was a small child, so she had to think a moment before reverting to French, so it gave us both some practice. Fun while it lasted, but she moved on after a few months. Au revoir, Corrinne. At least I finally got someone to tell me how to pronouce "squirrel" in French. :O

15. Tenacity

Not necessarily made with a replicator originally, which might have been part of Janeway's problem.

Janeway might know all the ingredients and the proper proportions, but doesn't understand the correct sequence to add various ingredients and spices at the proper time to achieve the correct flavor.

With cooking you don't put everything in at the same time, but the replicator makes the whole thing at once.

In discussions on the replicator, some people will say that replicated food should taste the same as non-replicated food because "it's made from the same things."

With respect, these people don't understand cooking.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  16. Forbin

Though if the replicated dish was originally scanned from an original, complete, finished dish, rather than built from ingredients, I imagine it should taste the same.

Six of Twelve likes this.
  17. Tenacity

I don't know, again just having all the same "components" doesn't mean that the dish is going to taste like what was scanned.

Plus, a hundred replicators might all turn out the same dish differently.

18. Forbin

But it would be an exact copy of the original, prepared dish. Like a digital file, each copy will be identical to the original.

Six of Twelve likes this.
  19. Six of Twelve

I rewatched Voyager's "Homestead" yesterday and I noticed that Ethan Phillips wasn't wearing his Neelix yellow eyes contacts in that episode. It showed him clearly with his own brown eyes. I wonder if there's a story behind that.

20. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As in the programmer's aphorism 'a computer does whatever you instruct it to do, not what you want it to do'.

We know Janeway is a scientist and she probably loves to tinker with stuff to improve on it. Rembember her remark to that admiral before even leaving drydock:

"Seven hundred thousand metric tons, fifteen decks, and computer systems augmented with bio-neural circuitry, top cruising speed warp nine point nine seven five. Of course, I expect to get that up another notch or two. "

Wouldn't be suprised if she tried the same thing on a smaller scale in her spare time, with her replicator.