General Trek Questions and Observations

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by The Old Mixer, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it can go either way. There's no "official" spelling, one way or the other.

2. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just a personal thing, but I tend to think of it as "The Star Fleet" in TOS times, but "Starfleet" in later times.

In Thy Image and Sibyl like this.
  3. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

IIRC, the spelling "Star Fleet" was (is) used for the Star Fleet Universe of Paramount-licensed Star Fleet Battles board games (which in turn also served as a point of reference for the Starfleet (sic!) Command series of video games).

so, the official (dare I say, canonical) spelling of the on-screen universe(s) would be "Starfleet", although I am certain there is on-screen evidence to contradict that statement

Sibyl likes this.
  4. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Enterprise1701, Kaelef and Sibyl like this.
  5. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

(You don't even have to click on it, it's right there in the screencap.)

Enterprise1701 and Sibyl like this.
  6. Ensign Ellora Dannan

Ensign Ellora Dannan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Today is Dominic Keating's Birthday!!! He is officially 55 today (speed limit here) and still looking good!! So, "Happy Birthday, Dominic (Lt. Malcolm Reed)"! Have all the pineapple cake you want!

7. Nlfyskiod

Nlfyskiod Cadet Newbie

The defiant being shaped like it is seems more plausible of being able to land and take off than the intrepid class

8. Ensign Ellora Dannan

Love it!!!! Have you seen the You Tube video concerning NASA's concept of a Starship that they ARE building?? They started 3 years ago and I now believe that the "Enterprise" will soon really be out there. They named the ship Enterprise IXS (I think that's the code -see film for actual). Space.....the final frontier, these are the voyages.......

9. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

I guess this doesn't need its own thread, but does it ever bother you that in Star Trek TOS (maybe others, haven't noticed) that they refer to other star systems as Solar Systems? If I understand correctly, there is one and only one "Solar System", the one we live in, orbiting the sun "Sol". The rest of the stars with planets or sister stars are star systems or stellar systems.

Just something that's bothered me in Trek (and sooooo many other shows and news programs)

10. Ensign Ellora Dannan

Hi! It may interest you to know that NASA has discovered 2 complete galaxies (Spiral - like ours with a central "sun") light years away and almost collided!!! Check it out at NASA.gov and you will see it. They also have many photos of Space to view. Totally "Fascinating"!!

11. JRTStarlight

JRTStarlight Captain Captain

I guess they also use the term stellar systems. Interstellar war, interstellar travel, stellar fragments, stellar wind, etc. As a people, I can see mixing up Solar system and Stellar system unless or until we more thoroughly explore beyond our Solar system. It's the people who don't know the difference between a stellar system or a galaxy that you have to watch out for.

Sibyl likes this.
  12. Ensign Ellora Dannan

Totally agree with you. That's why I follow NASA. I also have an astronaut in my family. A real astronaut! No joke. His name is Cmdr. Frank Borman, who commanded the Gemini VII & Apollo 8 missions! How's that for a follower of Trek?!

KennyB and Balok's Decoy like this.
  13. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

A true American Hero.

:techman:

Balok's Decoy likes this.
  14. The Old Mixer

Apollo 8 was awesome--First manned lunar orbit, witnessed the first Earthrise from the Moon on Christmas Eve, 1968, and read from the book of Genesis while broadcasting the images on TV...a famously poignant moment at the end of a very tumultuous year.

1001001 likes this.
  15. Ensign Ellora Dannan

Thanks for that. I just wish I could've met him. What a surprise it was to us!!

1001001 likes this.
  16. Ensign Ellora Dannan

Remember watching it and still think there's hope for Humankind after all. I wish I could've joined the Space Program back then but "life got in the way".

17. The Old Mixer

That was the last Christmas before I was born.

Stevie Trek likes this.
  18. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

Sol = Sun. Other stars are sometimes referred to as "suns". Sometimes we get so technical, we lose sight of the fact that these terms are just words human beings happen to choose at the moment to refer to this or that. They shift over time. Solar system, star system, planetary system, all will do. All these are used in real life.
    ======
    "Sol" is a popular, time-honored way of referring to the Sun in science fiction, to have something that sounds like a name, rather than "the Sun", which sounds, I don't know, less interesting, less sophisticated. "Terra" is used for the Earth, and "Luna" is what SF often calls the Moon. These are not real names for these bodies, though SF terminology has become more popular.
    -----------------
    "Solar System" is a real life term. It does come from the root "sol" for Sun, but it was SF which made that a name for the Sun.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    Enterprise1701 likes this.
  19. Six of Twelve

Six of Twelve Captain Captain

I've heard them referred to as "planetary systems" before.

20. Stevie Trek

Stevie Trek Ensign Newbie

And it was the first Christmas AFTER I was born