Spoilers Game of Thrones - Season 7

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, May 24, 2017.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Speaking of Grey Worm, we haven't seen him in ages. Is he still at Casterly Rock or he the one character that's traveling at normal speeds in Westeros? :p

dahj likes this.
  2. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

The more I think about it , the more I think that Gendry believes that Arya died at the Red Wedding. Tha might be why he hasn't mentioned her to Jon. Too much pain for both of them if she had been actually dead.

But it seems The Hound hasn't mentioned Arya, neither to Jon or Gendry Nor has Beric, or Thoros.

3. The Nth Doctor

Which is further strange considering the last two episodes went out of its way to point all of the various connections the Gang of Seven had with each other...except the mutual connection almost all of them had with Arya.

Another thing I forgot to mention in my review: I wondered while watching the final scene if perhaps the Night King foresaw this encounter with the dragons? That would explain why he patiently waited out the Gang of Seven on the frozen lake island instead of throwing one of those ice spears at them. And that would explain how they just happen to have giant chains to fish out Viserion from the depths of the lake.

Vandervecken likes this.
  4. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There have been hints that the Night King has the greensight like Bran and Jojen or even that he's a full-on greenseer. That would explain how the Night King noticed Bran during the latter's vision.

5. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

QFT

Technically, he gave up any such claims when he became a member of the crows. Though, I'm sure Jon and Dany would be happy to legitimize any claim on his part.

6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hate when episodes leak because I have to avoid all the threads and news to avoid spoilers. That was pretty damned epic. The encroachment of the undead was a bit much but the payoff made it worth it. They really should've given the Hound some more shit after getting out of that one.

Saw those chains at the end and put two-and-two together pretty quickly with an "aw, damn!".

I thought it odd when they saw that mountain in the distance and were like "we're close" when it looked damn far away but then later this episode just said fuck it all when it comes to that once and for all. You think Sansa would be OK with Brienne going to the Lannisters because she could be back by nightfall at this point.

7. Miss Chicken

I think by the end of all this there will be no more Night Watch and so Sam could claim House Tarly.

I was a bit disappointed that there was no showdown between Sam and his father over Sam taking Heartsbane with him when he left Horn Hill.

8. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

In the last scene, Where did the White Walkers get that long huge chain from ? Did the Night King make it out of ice ?

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Would you say he knows nothing?

10. Miss Chicken

Mrs and Mr Clegane must have been terrible parents - they did not teach Gregor to share his toys, they did not teach Sandor not to throw rocks.

11. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Maybe he took a boat and is rowing furiously to Dragonstone.. which means he's probably written out of the series :lol:

Why should they play 5 degrees of separation? They're on a suicide mission and while their conversations and banter was entertaining i didn't feel the need for them to try and catch up on everybody they met.

Jon certainly felt that this mission was far too important to take a sidetrip through Winterfell to meet with people he loved and hadn't seen for years and presumed dead.

That scene bothered me a bit for the big break in show logic. I am pretty good at glossing over plot holes or inconsistencies in shows i watch (and sometimes i don't even notice them) but where they hell do they get capital ship grade anchor chains in Westeros? These looked like they can be used on an aircraft carrier and unless the Night King took over the biggest blacksmith shop in Westeros it doesn't make sense and looks extremely out of place.

I'm only bothered by it because usually they are quite careful and consistent with these things and pay extreme attention to details so this stuck out like a very big and sore thumb.

However it would be cool if the Night King had the skillset sort of like two sides of the same coin or getting back to my earlier Star Wars analogy both being Force user, just on opposing sides.

12. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

Huh, it didn't occur to me for a second that someone might have a problem with that scene. Surely there were chains in places like Hardhome or any of the other settlements they overtook.:shrug:
    They control what, a fith of a continent by now?...

13. Miss Chicken

Can anyone else use Thoros of Myr's sword? I noticed that after his death only one flaming sword was being used. I suppose it could have been lost when Thoros was injured?

14. The Nth Doctor

I forgot about his connection with Bran so now I'm even more certain he foresaw this event with the dragons.

Idle chatter helps with the long walks in the cold. Besides, Gendry could've easily brought up Arya anytime between Dragonstone and Eastwatch.

I have less of an issue of them having the chain at all and more having the chain then and there. If the Night King foresaw this event, then he could have acquire or create the chain ahead of time in preparation for this situation.

Now that I think of it some more, I also think that the fact that the Night King was waiting for this moment to occur, which is why they've been taking so long to reach the Wall. Especially if zombie Viserion is the key to destroying or bypassing the Wall.

I think it's less to do with the sword itself and more of the control of magic he possessed as a Red Priest.

15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

He could have done that yes, but could the horse have made it to the wall carrying two riders before Jon froze to death? Apparently Benjen didn't believe so.

It's easily my least favourite thing about this season. Which sucks because Arya has always been one of my favourite characters.

Not that it's massively out of character for either of them mind.
    From her perspective, Sansa is all to aware of her physical weaknesses and the clumsy tomboy she remembered as a child has been replaced by a judgemental killing machine who spent the last few years sitting out all the horror while she went off adventuring to Essos. That spells danger and one can forgive her for not wanting to be passive about a potential viper in the nest.
    Arya on the other hand is very much her father's daughter. Honourable to a fault, with an inflexible world view and an almost bull headed stubbornness. She see's Sansa as another Cersei in the making. Always reaching for deception first to get her own way.

All that said, I'm still finding the execution of all this to be very clunky and unsatisfying.

On the one hand I agree that it's frustrating, but on the other hand, though skilled, Arya is not as experienced in deception as Littlefinger. He showed her what she expected to see and so she didn't question it as much as she should have.

At least The Hound not mentioning it makes sense. He's never been one to chat or volunteer information. And I don't think "I once kidnapped your sister from these two" is a conversation he wants to have. Particularly if he's unaware she's even alive still. Same for Beric & Thoros I suppose. Gendry not mentioning her does seem a little odd though, even if he thinks she's dead.

Mind you, I've been wondering if Jon might mention her great uncle Aemon at some point...

I think it's less about foresight and more of a case of past experience. Presumably the Targaryens weren't the first to ride dragons and even Old Valyria was long after the Long Night. I think it's a safe bet he's dealt with them before.

IIRC there are chains like that on the wall for the giant scythes. I think in the books Tyrion commissioned something very similar for the Battle of the Blackwater. So they do exist.
    I suppose those particular ones might have been made by the giants for some purpose or another, or are a relic from the Long Night itself.

I think it's not actually magic, just simple pyrotechnics. I forget which episode exactly, but I recall Melisandre revealing that most of the flashy stuff she and those like her did was simple trickery. Performances to inspire faith.

16. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This Week’s Game of Thrones Featured Violence On Many Sides, On Many Sides

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

17. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Ayra kinda reminds me of Anakin Skywalker who started out as good person and is now consumed by the dark side. Ayra's desire for revenge has consumed her to the point where mass murder is fun for her, and she is threatening those she has loved before if there is even a whisper that it had something to do with here father getting killed. Darth Arya! LOL

18. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

This week in things I didn't know I wanted: The Hound riding on a dragon!

Was Littlefinger even in this episode or was that Arya sussing out Sansa?

Thoros' death was sad, Viserion's was gutwrenching, and then Benjen was "WTF was that? No time? What?" :shrug:

Expected Rhaegal to pluck Jon out of the water and toss him on his back so we get the second dragonrider. Oh well, soon.

Love how they've built up Dany+Jon this season.

Next Week: Cleganebowl!

19. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Just assumed it was part of a keep north of the wall that had fallen over the years. Anchor chains from Hardhome, or drawbridge chains from some old keep up there, either way, it didn't really bother me...

20. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

Viserion's death really bothered me. I love the dragons and don't like seeing them hurt, let alone killed and turned into a zombie dragon.

I wonder how many faces Ayra has and where she got them all. They take a while to prepare and we know she created at least one from Walder Frey after leaving the faceless men.
    Did anyone else thing of TV series 'Mission Impossible' when Sansa was pulling them out of the bag?