Episodes that are generally considered "bad" that you actually like

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by GeordiFan, Aug 26, 2018.

1. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^that's why I wrote 'and yes, except for the introduction' ;)

2. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dear Doctor really never should have mentioned evolution. It was nothing but a blatant distraction from the actual crux of the episode, which was that the overclass were holding the underclass back and preventing them from living free lives.

3. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

"Spock's Brain" is hilarious, in a Plan 9 From Outer Space kind of way.

Agree with both of you, for exactly those reasons.

"Threshold" is nowhere near as dire as it's generally considered to be (I can think of several far worse episodes). The fact it falls in a heap toward the end with the "evolution"-into -salamanders twaddle shouldn't detract from that, but it's been built up into such a colossal train wreck that no one - even Braga and co - seems to remember it has positives as well. People have just decided it's crap and that's that, but really there are plenty of far worse episodes.

4. Ghrakh

Ghrakh Captain Captain

Nope. They were presented as a potential threat. First we see their ship which is implied could stand against the Enterprise. Then we meet Tarr, who is hostile but also intelligent. The actions of the ones on the surface were admittedly bad. The Battle featured Bok who was eventually removed from command by a serious and intelligent Kazago. So they had laws. In Rascals, Lurin threatened to execute the crew, but he was a rogue. In Suspicions, Reyga was a smart and likable character. I could go on.

I think people are viewing TNG Ferengi through the DS9 filter, which turned them into space clowns.

Rahul and Gary7 like this.
  5. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

You forgot to mention (on purpose?) the most ridiculous ones, like "The Perfect Mate" and "Menage a Troi" where the Ferengi are really played as a joke. I mean you can't find any redeeming qualities in the Ferengi in either of these episodes, can you? In Rascals, the Ferengi are stupid, like the one who listens for a very long time to Riker talking in gibberish. They apparently commandeer the ship very easily but then like all badly written villains all they do is farting around waiting for things to happen. As for the very first episode where we see them, it's marred by their stupid jumping around...
    Bok is bizarre almost unfenregi like in his obsession with Picard and yes he may be the least ridiculous of the lot for the entire series. Reyga seems so unlike the other Ferengi that you could have made him of any other race and the story would have remained the same. He doesn't have any specific traits of the Ferengi, sort of like Leck from Ds9. But Leck was created for laughs.

6. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

I don't like any of the Trek episodes that I consider to be bad.

7. HugeLobes

HugeLobes Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really love 'Move Along Home'. There's so much wrong with it, but it's fun seeing how each character reacts, and I find the touch of old school TOS silliness kinda refreshing. I also love thinking about what'll happen when the aliens pull that **** on the Romulans or Cardassians.

Always thought the Klingons would kinda get a kick out of it.

Kilana2 likes this.
  8. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

"Spock's Brain"! It's so bad that it's good!

Not to mention one of the funniest lines of TOS: "brain and brain what is brain?"

9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The idea is that episodes that are, by general consensus, considered bad, but you happen to like.

Rahul, 1001001 and HugeLobes like this.
  10. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

We need consensus... Without consensus we can't do a thing... I used to hate that episode... but the last time I watched it, I found it almost watchable.

11. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They can stay, but the ones in gorilla suits will have to go.

fireproof78 likes this.
  12. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There are episodes that I think are bad, and that I like nonetheless. VOY's "threshold" for example. It's bad. And it breaks continuity like "Into Darkness" or the spore drive, and real science (evolution) even more. But it's fun all the way through, and way more memorable (in a good way!) than many of the "better", more mediocre episodes. Paris/Janeway baby-lizards all the way!

13. HugeLobes

HugeLobes Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've always thought of Threshold like the opposite of The Inner Light. Inner Light is one I don't really enjoy much; it's a great concept, but I find the bulk of the story pretty boring and think it only really comes together at the end. Threshold only gets really bad by the end, but it does at least stay entertaining throughout.

Rahul likes this.
  14. Roundabout

Roundabout Commander Red Shirt

"Sub Rosa". Star Trek gets spooky. It makes for a good Halloween episode. It was weird seeing Data and Geordi at the gravesite with the reanimated corpse. But that added to the charm or bizarreness of the episode. The romance part might have been a bit cheesy, but overall, it was a good attempt at mixing scifi and a ghost story.

15. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I prefer "Genesis" as the TNG Halloween episode. Most of the crew even gets into costume! :p

16. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Actually, I find Genesis very funny. Picard moving around with a vial of pheromones trying to lure away "Worf", had me laughing out loud!

Bad Thoughts likes this.
  17. fireproof78

What's the one where the crew starts hallucinating, like Crusher sees dead bodies sitting up? I'll have to look it up but that's a good Halloween one too.

18. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Yes, you're right it's only second to The Catspaw which in my opinion is the most Halloweeny of all episodes.

19. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

"Night Terrors".

fireproof78 likes this.
  20. fireproof78

You are an officer and a gentlebeing. Thank you!