ENTERPRISE on Blu-Ray OFFICIAL Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by LtChange, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Re: The bird is out: ENTERPRISE on blu-ray

TATV should not be in there as a finale, or even as a part of season 4, but rather as a special feature, a non-canon apocrypha. :D

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  2. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea

:bolian: hell yeah. Unless they're magically able to edit it to remove Troi & Riker, resurrect Trip and still have the narrative make sense ;)

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I think they should magically not include it at all. :shifty:

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

They should include it only in the next revamped TNG release and call it: Riker and Troi Go to White Castle.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They should CG in a bit of floating disclaimer text when Riker starts the holoprogram: "Events in this holoprogram are ficticious. Any resemblence to real events are coincidental"

6. JJ-R

JJ-R Ensign

Regarding the upscaling of the effects rendered in 720p, I'm very happy with Doug Drexler's explanation about his time on BSG where they discovered that 1080p effects look too sharp, even in comparison to higher-res film footage (quoted at Trekcore here). I expect the balance will be correct on the Blu-rays, especially since the episode masters were posted on 1080p/24 D5 tape (thanks Maxwell Everett in the TNG Season 2 thread).

However, I wonder what the impact will be on composited shots - the Xindi council springs to mind. Does anyone know if the only the effects layer is rendered at 720p and then added to the 35mm or 1080p digital shot (the latter in the case of season 4)? Or would the entire shot be at 720p quality?

It would be a shame if Enterprise suffered a similar fate to the Babylon 5 DVD releases, although obviously at these resolutions and with no cropping issues, this could never look remotely as bad as that.

7. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Actually, it doesn't make sense that the effects would've been rendered at 720p at all, especially since there were stations airing it at 1080i (and, besides, 720p effects would've looked just slightly better than the 480i CGI done on the last couple of seasons of DS9 and Voyager), and 1080i broadcast results in a picture that is about equivalent to a Blu-Ray 720p image: that's why Warner is able to offer the first five seasons of Smallville in HD on broadcast and iTunes, but not Blu-Ray (although Season 5 is HD ready as demonstrated by its HD-DVD release), since the amount of compression (and why a number of stations broadcast in 720p instead of 1080i) results in a dramatically reduced picture in terms of quality. For Enterprise too have been done in HD, they would've needed to have done the effects in 1080p, so that they could ensure future-broadcasts and home video releases in formats that offered better compression. Right now, Blu-Ray contains higher quality playback of HD programming than broadcast or iTunes. Of course I never did think the CGI ships in Enterprise looked better than the actual models used for the earlier shows (or even the TOS-R CGI).

And CBS won't have all the Enterprise's on Blu-Ray by the time of the new movie...the Animated Trek was Remastered in HD for its DVD release, so there is still one Enterprise that won't be on Blu-Ray. Of course, it'll be nice when Voyager's on Blu.

8. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Well I really think the decision to do DS9 and VOY will be based on TNG sales.

9. norse_sage

norse_sage Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Very, very happy to hear that ENT is due for BD release.
    I just hope that Paramount will continue their policy of releasing releasing six disc season sets which started with from TOS season 3 onwards, instead of going back to the seven discs of TOS seasons 1 or 2. Might seem like a trivial matter, but for my custom cover collection, it is a pretty big deal.

10. tomswift2002

You have to remember that with TOS 1 and 2 both seasons had nearly 30 episodes per season, whereas from Season 3 onwards the the other seasons for all the shows ranged from just six episodes in length (Animated Series Season 2) up to twenty-six episodes (TNG Season 1), so CBS would've needed extra space for TOS 1 & 2, unless you wanted the episodes too look like VHS copies because of the amount of compression that would've been applied.

And it's not Paramount calling the shots on this, it is CBS, so it would be CBS who decides how many discs.

11. norse_sage

norse_sage Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Well then I hope CBS decides to go for six discs sets.
    Given that six discs sufficed for the 26 episodes of season 1 of TNG, I see no reason why they would need more than that for any other 26 episode season sets.

At least I hope so, because I'm having my custom BD covers for Enterprise signed at Star Trek London next week, and they only fit standard armaray, which can take a maximum of six discs. I'll take that gamble.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

If they did six discs for TNG, I don't see them using any more than that for ENT.

13. tomswift2002

Well for Enterprise I'd see expect only 5 discs for the Blu Ray sets, since Season 3 was only 24 episodes long, and then Season 4 was only 22 episodes in length. With TNG Season 1 the 25th (Conspiracy) and 26th (The Neutral Zone) were on their own disc. So if there is a 6th disc for those 2 seasons (and TNG's 2nd season) it'll probably be just Bonus Disc (just like what happened with the 2002 TNG's Season 2 DVD set).

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I predicted it would be the next series, its simple really, only the FX require upconversion, everything else is ready to go. I will be buying this set also!

RAMA

15. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

A must-have extra: a video produced about the "lost" 5th season they planned.

RAMA

16. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll second that! :techman:

With Doug Drexler's NX-01 refit in motion... and lots of CG work to illustrate all the "What If" scenarios.

I'd imagine they'll be a roundtable discussion of some sort. Either a cast reunion (preferred), or a bunch of uber fans complaining how it wasn't how they imagined a prequel to be (not so much)!

17. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

In A Mirror Darkly Remastered

Please, please, oh please add new cgi to these episodes.

The Defiant exterior is not a physical model. It is a cgi model. Move it around more. Add TNG or Balance of Terror style deflector shield flares. Change the photon torpedo fx. Show more Defiant interiors. Add more animated bridge displays. Show exterior shots of the Defiant entering and exiting warp. Show more of the Gorn cgi model skulking around before caught. Show the Tholians in the starbase and in the ships reacting to the Defiant being stolen.

:techman:

18. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: In A Mirror Darkly Remastered

The blu-rays will not have new FX created for them, it's not that sort of project.

19. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

oh Drat!

20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Besides, "It is a cgi model. Move it around more." is often the reason that CGI sticks out horribly.

What would be cool for season four is an option to watch each multi-parter contiguously. It'd be a fairly simple thing to implement, and I would love it...but I know there's little chance. Just dreaming. :)