ENTERPRISE on Blu-Ray OFFICIAL Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by LtChange, Oct 6, 2012.

1. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Re: The bird is out: ENTERPRISE on blu-ray

As it is, Enterprise's CGI already managed to wag the "This is not real, this is incredible fake" flag with the already existing CGI, when compared to the models in TNG, DS9 and Voyager. So, No we do no need CBS doing more CGI on this series.

2. Cox of Seagulls

Cox of Seagulls Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

lol what

The CGI on Enterprise is miles ahead of any of the effects of any of the other shows. It's not even close.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, they don't. All aspects of this show were done in HD from the get-go. The effects may well have been done at 720p rather than 1080, but 720 is still HD.

As I said, ENT is available in HD right now - from iTunes.

4. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

ENT's CG was better than traditional model work? Agree to disagree.

5. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The CGI on Enterprise was better than that on Voyager and DS9 because it benefitted from the latest developments in the field of visual effects. But as proven by the TNG Blu Rays, CGI simply can't surpass model work when it comes to realism and sense of scale and detail.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I predicted in a TNG thread that Enterprise would be released concurrently with TNG. So there... :p

7. d514

d514 Ensign Red Shirt

I don't think Enterprise will look that good on Blu-ray. The CGI didn't age very well. The live action footage isn't great either.

I found some screenshots for the second season episode "Minefield". Source is the 1080p iTunes download. Of course the Blu-ray will have a higher bitrate but I doubt it will make that much of a difference. TNG-R just looks much better.

Screenshots: http://imgbox.com/g/V4zFGEEWqo

8. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only thing I'd wish CBS Digital would do, is replace all the CG created human character models (usually shown walking on the hull of the ship, or on any shot that required scale like fake Trip & Reed standing in devastated Florida) with real live extras. That was the only unconvincing aspect to the SFX. They just looked so fake and even gaming gives uncanny lifelike movements these days. Everything else was top notch, such as the beauty passes of starships and space pheonmena. All that still holds up well.

Surprising they couldn't enhance however many dozen shots across the four year run that amounts to. Compared to the enormous feats of technical achievement reached thousands of times per season on TNG.

When remastering TOS lessons were clearly learned from ENT in that, when it came time to show people walking around huge structures like mining colonies and starbases, real people were filmed (fans working on the project I believe), made tiny and dropped in to add realism.

Whether those CGI creations I'm describing look better at 1080p, I can't tell you since I've never seen Enterprise at any greater resolution than upscaled SD. But I doubt it somehow.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  9. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

ENT on blu-ray - tech

thanks for the screencaps in HD from the low bit rate iTunes download.
    I think ENT will look as good as it can for consumers on Blu-ray with the highest bit-rate available in HD to any Trek fan.
    I really liked season 3 and plan on purchasing it on Blu-ray.
    With season 4 being the first Trek TV series to be shot digitally with HD cameras and it was during the HD infancy of television shooting narrative dramas in the US on HD cameras I think it will have the limitations of the available Sony F-900 HDCAM cameras at the time: 8-bit recording with interpolated 3:1:1 color sampling and the resolution up-converted in-camera from a 1440x1080 sensor which was 1990s HD camera technology.
    Even though the show was mastered most likely to 10-bit D-5 HD tape season 4 would have the lowest quality overall due to the source not being 35mm film.
    I think seasons 1 & 2 I can live with on DVD only.
    Surely the next Trek TV series will be shot with a a state-of-the-art 4k digital cinema camera using RAW data or a high bit rate and sampling level codec.

10. Trekker82

Trekker82 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hmm, I disagree, I caught the tail end of Enterprise on HDNET when I first got an HDTV several years ago and it looked great. I'm looking forward to it.

Does anyone know if they will release it on Blu as a series set or release it slowly season by season?

11. norse_sage

norse_sage Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Season by season, surely.

12. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

13. tomswift2002

With Enterprise, going all digital for the ships was a very bad move for Paramount, since with DS9 and Voyager (and even earlier with TNG and First Contact) any CGI-created ships had to look as good and convincing as a physical model, or else they ended up with horrible CGI models like the Voyager from "Blink Of An Eye". Paramount should've invested in a physical model for Enterprise and the created a couple of passes with the Enterprise model and then enhanced the show with a CGI model that looked just as good as physical model.

But for whatever reason, a physical model, even a small one, tends to add that sense of realism that CGI lacks.

But why are they putting a commentary on "Shuttlepod One"? That was one of the worst Trek episodes ever.

14. BillJ

I always thought the effects of Enterprise were the high point of the show. Wish they had got Eden FX to do the effects work on TOS-R.

15. tomswift2002

I'm glad that CBS had the right sense not to go with Eden for TOS Remastered. CBS Digital's stuff was 10,000 times better than anything Eden did. I remember when I first saw the remastered "Naked Time" on analog cable, I was blown away by how much the ship and planets looked like they had been done with physical models and the shots had been stored away somewhere since the 60's and had just now been rediscovered and scanned in HD.

Unfortunately CBS has started to slip on TNG-R when they've had to replace model shots (such as the EAF shot of the D providing energy to Farpoint - that just took me out of the episode).

16. BillJ

The quality of the CBS-D effects are pretty poor when watching it in 1080p. I never had an issue with the effects quality of Enterprise. :shrug:

17. tomswift2002

The CBS Digital shots were great in 1080p. Even comparing he upressed Defiant from Enterprise to the Enterprise was no match. CBS hit the effects out of the ballpark, while Eden made them look like the effects were from a Nintendo 64 game.

18. BillJ

I have the exact opposite impression. The work CBS Digital did on TOS-R looked cartoony and extremely over lit, minus the matte work which was excellent. The NX-01 felt like a tangible object for most of the series until the budget was slashed for season four.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree. :techman:

19. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have to agree with you. That's probably the #1 thing that prevents me from picking up the bluray set of TOS...

20. BillJ

I just turn the new effects off.