ENT Reference in Star Trek XI? - SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Captain59, May 8, 2009.

1. commodore64

commodore64 Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Star Trek XI ENT ref: a jab? (beware spoilers!)

Agreed. It's a wink like "I'm a doctor, not a ..." and "Wictor, Wictor" and "Captain, the engines can't take the strain."

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Re: Star Trek XI ENT ref: a jab? (beware spoilers!)

Besides, it wasn't Porthos that got killed in Scotty's accident. Porthos probably died soon after the Federation Charter got signed or not too long after that period. Archer's dog in the early 23rd century was probably his third, fourth or fifth.

3. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

The writer's interview and the info in Scotty's dossier on the website imply that it wasn't even Jonathan Archer, but just someone by the same name, possibly related (hence "in next generation").
    I still prefer to think it's our Archer, though. :) I think it was a cute, funny little nod.

4. cooleddie74

"IaMD" teased us to think Archer lived until this period in history so I'll just assume it WAS our hero unless told otherwise by the canonites.

5. apenpaap

apenpaap Commodore Commodore

Acoording to IaMD, Archer lived until 2245 (The launch date of th Enterprise). Scotty was born in 2222, so it is possible that it's the same Archer. (Or Porthos VII became starfleet's mascotte after Archer's death)

6. cooleddie74

True, even Simon Pegg's Scotty is in his mid-thirties in this timeline and that's plenty of time for him to have caused/been blamed for the transporter accident earlier in his career...in the 2240s before Archer might have died.

7. commodore64

All hail new canon. Thanks for verifying that for us.

8. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

the incident happened since kirk was at the academy since kirk remember the dog.
    and since scotty had been there for i think 6 months it happened possibly about a year to six months before.

9. Odon

Odon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Archer's dog reference (Trek XI SPOILERS!)

What happened to the ill-fated subject of Scotty's first trans-warp transport experiment? Where did Porthos the XI reappear? Will the next movie be Star Trek: The Search for Porthos, or just an adaptation of Voyage of the Space Beagle?

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2009
  10. commodore64

Re: Archer's dog reference (Trek XI SPOILERS!)

Maybe you want the "spoilers" piece in your title.

With that said, I'm sure his wife, Ambassador T'Pol, got him a new puppy. ;)

11. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Re: Archer's dog reference (Trek XI SPOILERS!)

Seems unlikely it was Porthos, what with it being just over 100 years later (in the new timeline, closer to 110-115?). Assuming Archer was in his 30s for ENT, even him at 145 or so is a stretch. Doggie years would be even more unkind... ;)

12. commodore64

Re: So where did Admiral Archer's beagle end up?

McCoy lived about that long. Why not Archer? Besides, we don't know what happened between TATV and STXI. Maybe Archer had something happen that youthened him. More over, he might get a little mind activity boost with Surak's katra still embedded in his noggin. Furthermore, since TOS is de-canonized and they found Archer's age on the Defiant, I'm assuming that's not necessarily canon.

And I'm assuming the dog isn't Porthos After all, Scotty never said, "Porthos," he said "prized Beagle."

Why are folks so set again this being a Captain Jonathan Archer reference?

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  13. Middleman

Middleman Captain Captain

That's too funny!

I think Porthos is hanging out with Quinn Erickson of Daedalus fame.

14. Shatmandu

Shatmandu Vice Admiral Admiral

Porthos ended up in a Dyson sphere.

Joe, rounded

15. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Mirror Universe. Where it was hastily devoured by Commander Archer's big, mean dog.

16. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hopefully not on the menu at a Tellarite restaurant.

I was rather hoping hot buttered beagle was a typo...

17. Kurgan

Kurgan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have found out the fate of Admiral Archer's prized Beagle(Porthos the IX for reference purpose of 'the beagle with the nice ears").If you read the novelization of the movie, in the epilogue, the beagle(the "beagle with the nice ears") finally rematerializes on one of the Enterprise's transporters pads just as the ship is leaving spacedock with Kirk in command for the first time.It's said that noone had any idea where he came from, but of course we know Scotty's secret.

So there you have it.Admiral Archer likely gets his beagle back and he does not end up dead like so many have thought.

18. cooleddie74

And ends up getting eaten by old Scotty in 2369. Circle of life.

Eddie, fur muncher

19. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Sorry, I know we're in the ENT forum and all, but how does this movie in ANY way indicate that things in the ENT portion of the timeline played out like we 'remember'?

The vast majority of key ENT moments were part of that Temporal Cold War crap, which existed because of the timeline UP TO that point in the future. 28th century? 29th Century? Can't remember. If you change the points leading up to it, who's to say it was the same? Tweak it even a little, and it's drastically different, thus affecting ENT differently.

First Contact, and the whole Borg thing, was part of the ENT timeline as well. That movie, as well as Picard, Ent-E, and the whole deal, would likely be altered by the changes.

ENT may have happened before the incursion, but was pretty heavily affected by the events of the 23rd century and beyond due to the heavy time-travel influences...

20. AstroMike

AstroMike Captain Captain

In the movie when the Romulans initially attack the Kelvin, Captain Robau says something about "Polarizing the shields" which reminded me of Captain Archer saying "Polarize the Hull Plating." Enterprise was the only series I remember hearing anyone say anything "polarizing" something on the ship. If that was the case it would make sense given this is between Enterprise and TOS. I couldn't find it in the novel.