ENT Reference in Star Trek XI? - SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Captain59, May 8, 2009.

1. Captain59

Captain59 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Connecticut - Home of the Hartford Whalers
    I think this would get completely buried in the Star Trek XI forum, which is why I'm posting this here and hopefully it's appropriate. See below...
    First, I think all of us have heard about the reference Scotty makes to "Admiral Archer's famous beagle," which he does say. Two things I didn't read about though is that Kirk says, "oh, I know that dog." And when Kirk asks how the dog is doing, Scotty says he'll let him know when he shows up. So, the dog doesn't necessarily die...we don't know his fate. And, I think it's pretty cool that Kirk knows about Archer's dog...which is probably Porthos the Tenth by this point.

I think I picked up on another ENT reference earlier in the film. When McCoy is giving Kirk medication to make him appear sick, I swear I heard McCoy reference a name or procedure with Phlox's name. If so, I'm wondering exactly what he's referring to and if it's actually something related to ENT, or just a random reference to Phlox...which is cool, anyway.

That's all I picked up on. I didn't see anything relating to ENT, but I could have missed something. I'm looking forward to getting the book on Tuesday to see if the novelized version expands at all on any of this.

BTW, the movie ROCKS!

2. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

the kelvin uniforms are a point in betweeen the enterprise desert uniforms and the later tos style ones.

3. Captain59

^ Interesting. Can anyone find a picture of the Kelvin uniforms? I'm having no luck. (Someone also said the Kelvin communicators looked like TOS communicators, but I can't find a pic of those either.)

4. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Yeah, with the altered timeline/history in this new reality(at least for the next couple of films anyways)ENTERPRISE is probably the only remnant of the original history that can be safely referenced now.

5. Captain59

I like that...a little retribution for ENT. Also, I believe Archer was the only character from a spinoff Trek mentioned.

6. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Saw it for the second time today. The closest McCoy gets to 'Phlox' is 'flop sweat'.

7. commodore64

commodore64 Vice Admiral Admiral

Captain 59, I think you're right. Okay, so ... was Archer Scotty's instructor? Or did Archer volunteer his dog. And does that mean that the episode Dadelus is more important now b/c Scotty essentially pulls off what Archer's longtime father-figure wanted to do?

OMG - you're right. That's ironic, huh?! I also think it's safe to say the Cage (Menagerie) happened beforehand. Other than that, all bets are off.

Someone had a quote from Bakula up that indicated Paramount probably wishes it could have Enterprise again for the new excitement about XI. You know, based on the movie and where it took the storyline, I agree.

One comment: Urban was the best McCoy I've ever seen. I think he either embodied or improved on what DeForrest gave us.

8. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Unfortunately no, that's not safe to say. In the movie Pike talks about it being the Enterprise's maiden voyage. It was pretty clear to me that there weren't any missions before that.

9. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

As a huge ENT fan I was rather chuffed that Archer got that mention. I know if pisses a few anti-ENT folks off, LOL.

Sorry to hear there was no Phlox mention, I'm going again tonight so I will listen just in case :)

10. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

time got changed even before the cage..
    30 years in the past...

and i dont think it was jonathan archer who was the admiral but rather one of his descendents..

11. commodore64

Ah, I didn't hear maiden voyage. It seemed like before Kirk got there some folks were already assigned. Although, I've only seen it once!

Teacake, not me. I thought it was awesome.

12. lceb

lceb Commander Red Shirt

If i remember correctly Pike said something to Spock about the ship being brand new. I believe all the ships that went to Vulcan with cadets were new.
    It was nice to hear about Admiral Archer's beagle even though it's fate was not the best!

13. lceb

lceb Commander Red Shirt

If I remember correctly Pike said something to Spock about the ship being brand new. I believe all the ships that went to Vulcan with cadets were new.
    It was nice to hear about Admiral Archer's beagle even though it's fate was not the best!

14. Captain59

I have been told he's mentioned again in the novelized version at least, which I'm getting on Tuesday. Actually, I know what it says, but don't want to spoil it. If anyone can tell me how to use spoiler tags, I'll post it.

15. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

You select (highlight) the text you want to hide, and click the yellow smiley icon above the text box, the first one on the right .

16. Captain59

Oh, ok. Now it seems easy, thanks. So...

In the novelized version, from what I've been told, Porthos (or whichever beagle Scotty beamed away) does indeed materialize good as new.

17. J Archer

J Archer Commodore Commodore

Oh it's going to be such fun watching how the anti-ENT brigade take this turn of events. MUHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol:

18. commodore64

It'll be sad if Number One, the female version, never existed. If they do another movie, it'd be great to add Nurse Chapel to the cast. But with Spock/Uhura ... I'm not sure what that would do.

19. James Lafayette Archer

James Lafayette Archer Lieutenant Red Shirt

I loved the mention of Admiral Archer! One of my favorite moments of the film.

20. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    Nurse Chapel gets mentioned in the film.

Anyway, concerning Enterprise, it's poetic justice that it's the only show that remains untouched, as it were, by this new thing. Although I still believe that Nero and Spock Prime went to the past of a nearly-identical reality, where things are slightly different from what we know.

The bit about Scotty and the beagle is hilarious, though, I really loved that scene and the look on Scotty's face while he was telling Kirk about it.