News Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Amongst Thieves

One more observation. Pine played his character very similar to the way he played Kirk, only it fits a lot better in this context.

Did anyone realize while watching that one of the groups in the competition was made up of the characters from the cartoon? I didn't.

Did anyone realize while watching that one of the groups in the competition was made up of the characters from the cartoon? I didn't.

Yes, but partially due to one of my mates mentioned the cartoon many times since we'd seen the first trailer for the film. I did remember watching it way back when, so had looked it up just before we saw the film.

I saw it today and found it pretty enjoyable overall. Would be interesting someday to see an Eberron setting film, IMO. :whistle::angel:

Is Forgetten Realms pretty much the default setting for D&D tie-ins at this point? It just seems like the majority of the books, comics, video games, ect. use it as their setting.

Yep. I think before 3E there was no real default setting, then 3E I think tried to go with Greyhawk but by then the Forgotten Realms were pretty popular thanks to the Drizzt books, so people were clamoring for more of that. 4E briefly gave us a respite with the Points of Light setting, but it's been all Forgotten Realms with 5E, and probably going forward.

I was more into Dragonlance in my youth.

Never been a D&D person but am even less interested in Mario so gave it a chance. While I did enjoy it, they owe James Gunn some money for shamelessly ripping off Guardians style and tone.

Also was it my imagination or was Hugh Grant playing his part as if he was Boris Johnson?

I have no great interest in this movie (I'm sure it'll be fine, has a cool cast), but I saw a Youtuber saying there's a cameo of a live action version of the characters from the 80s cartoon.
Is there a photo of that somewhere...it would multiply my interest 10 fold.

If anything, James Gunn should be paying Joss Whedon and Farscape for borrowing their style and tone. (Gunn has flat-out admitted the latter was an influence, though.)

The average D&D game is much closer to a comedy (granted, it's not always intentional) than a serious Tolkien-style epic. The makers of this movie understood this and translated it beautifully.

Back