News Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Amongst Thieves

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 22, 2022.

1. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

So will Xenk be a lawful stupid/stupid good paladin? :whistle::D

Commander Troi likes this.
  2. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

I didn’t expect to say this, but it looks fun. :)

And I'm currently playing a Bard ina 5e game. Not dead yet! :lol:

nightwind1 and shapeshifter like this.
  3. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Never touched, or watched ANY D&D product but that's about to change, methinks. I want to see this one.

4. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

YOU HAVE MY COCONUTS!

5. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

New poster:
    [​IMG]

New promo video:

Commander Troi and Henoch like this.
  6. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Dan Murrell has an early review, and damn, this sounds really good:

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Most of the reactions I've seen to this so far seem to be pretty good. I'm looking forward to it, I think it looks like a lot of fun.

8. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Honestly that this movie didn't tank hard with critics as i expected it to based on the first trailer is a nice surprise for me.

If it turns out to be a halfway decent fantasy movie i'll be happy, not everything needs to be LotR or GoT level.

9. ashleytinger

ashleytinger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I want this to be good if only for the fact it's in the Forgotten Realms and I'd hate to see them ruin that setting in a film

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I just hope it does well enough at the box office to get a sequel. It's sandwiched between John Wick 4 and the Super Mario Bros. movie.

11. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, it just seems placed to bomb financially. We are are à couple weeks out from Shazam (which I want to see) and creed 3

12. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

I saw an early screening of the film. I didn't find it all that funny. The film felt like it was laying the groundwork for a franchise. Though I would be interested to see these characters in a future adventure, I am not sure that it will happen. The audience felt subdued at the end and there was not a lot of talking amongst the people as they left the theater.

13. wew

wew Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw this film this afternoon. I think only six or eight people were in the theater; of course, it was showing at 1:00 PM. I'd probably give this movie a low B grade.

Most of the sfx looked decent, with many names and places dropping throughout the film readily seen. It had a decent vibe, however, I was able to figure out the end plot somewhat early on in the film.

Chris Pine did a good job, although his singing wasn't that great. Fortunately, he doesn't sing a lot during the film. I was impressed with the action sequences; the scenes occurring in the maze were well done. The semi-cameo during the movie's end was a nice homage to earlier film depictions. As some like to say, it was a good popcorn flick, and I enjoyed my overpriced popcorn during the movie.

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I thought it was a lot of fun, and much more representative of a real D&D session than that godawful movie from 20 years ago. I'm worried it's going to bomb but I hope it doesn't, I'd love to see more.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

My mom and I saw it this morning, and I really enjoyed it. I'm not overly familiar with the Forgotten Realms world, I've never played D&D but I have read one of the RA Salvatore Drizzt novels.
    So coming at this as more of just a general fantasy fan, I thought it was a lot of fun. Most of the humor worked pretty well, and I thought they did a good job of putting it in when it felt appropriate, and then being more serious when they needed to. I'm not sure accurate to the game they were, but I thought it had some really cool creatures, and most of the effects used to make them were pretty good.
    It had some pretty cool action sequences, which was especially impressive since this was the first big action movie like this that the Daley/Goldstein duo have ever directed.
    There is one thing I do remember from the book I read, The Legacy, that I wanted to ask about. Was that Menzoberranzan that they showed when Edgin & Co. were in the Underdark?

16. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I’ll leave my review when Jonathan arrives.

Gepard, TheAlmanac and Commander Troi like this.
  17. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just back from seeing it and I had a lot of fun.

18. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Got to see it. Really fun movie.

They managed to bring the sense of fun adventure of nostalgic 80s adventure films, without the tackiness or cartooniness of previous D&D adaptations. The fun factor and cleverness is what modern adventure films are sorely lacking, either relying entirely on CGI and force of personality or being overly melodramatic.

19. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

We saw this yesterday and it was pretty fun.

I really liked that our leads were *not* romantically involved in any way, but deeply cared fir each other and were a family. I also liked that Pine's character was very much a Bard without being the stereotypical horndog.

No, per my hubby the GM.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

OK, thanks for finding out.