News Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Amongst Thieves

bard.jpg

Finally a D&D movie that looks great. I have never went to a movie premiere before, but think I will change that now.

In that trailer alone, we have a displacer beast, owlbear, gelatinous cube, a mimic, Red Wizards of Thay, acid breathing black dragon, fire breathing red, and I think that was a benevolent gold?

Can't wait.

I'm just amazed they're going to the Realms instead of Greyhawk or a nondescript setting. One of the cities in the trailer is Neverwinter and the prison was built for the film but was used in the Rime of the Frostmaiden adventure too. The monsters look good and accurate and it looks like fun. I'm in.

Forgotten Realms is the default setting for the current edition, and it's probably the best known D&D setting of the last 20 years.

I do wonder if the events of this movie are going to become part of the FR's metafictional canon or if they're just using the setting but not staying beholden (ha!) to anything already established.

I feel your pain. I grew up on Dragonlance. All of the "basic" D&D fantasy settings have been superseded by Forgotten Realms. :sigh:

Though at least we DL fans got that awful animated movie, I guess...? :lol:

I have no great interest in this movie (I'm sure it'll be fine, has a cool cast), but I saw a Youtuber saying there's a cameo of a live action version of the characters from the 80s cartoon.

I started out in Greyhawk back in the early 80's, but we made the switch to the Realms when it came out. It's my preferred setting. I do love the early Dragonlance novels, Chronicles and Legends but didn't care for it as a game setting. I can see there being a DL or FR live action show sometime in the future.

I notice that there are no traditional characters of Fighter, Wizard, Cleric or Thief in the band. Let's push the edgy characters...

I notice that there are no traditional characters of Fighter, Wizard, Cleric or Thief in the band. Let's push the edgy characters...

Apparently you and I do not play in or watch the same D&D circles.

EDIT: OK, so if the main party is just the main cast they had in the interview I just watched, they have a Bard, Barbarian, Druid, Paladin, and a Rogue. It's a solid party. You have healing that can come from the Bard, Druid and Paladin. You have pretty solid damage all around from all of them, and you at least have someone who can tank. Now depending on the Rogue subclass, that rogue could have some wizard traits.

That means they left behind the Cleric, Fighter, Monk, Ranger, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard, and Artificer. Artificer was included in Tasha's to be used anywhere, not just Eberron, so I count that.

They're facing off against at least one Red Wizard of Thay in the trailer, so Wizards are represented, just not in the party make-up.

D&D players have pretty much tossed the 'core' Healer/Fighter/Wizard/Rogue base out the window for the better part of a decade now. Especially in 5th Ed where you can make up your shortfalls just in subclasses if you want to or really change up the flavor of the class just through subclasses.

Last edited:
EDIT: OK, so if the main party is just the main cast they had in the interview I just watched, they have a Bard, Barbarian, Druid, Paladin, and a Rogue. It's a solid party. You have healing that can come from the Bard, Druid and Paladin. You have pretty solid damage all around from all of them, and you at least have someone who can tank. Now depending on the Rogue subclass, that rogue could have some wizard traits.

That means they left behind the Cleric, Fighter, Monk, Ranger, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard, and Artificer. Artificer was included in Tasha's to be used anywhere, not just Eberron, so I count that.
As I saw it, there's no Rogue in the main party (he's the Hugh Grant character and he's not in the hero party; probably he's a side villain). The fifth member is a Sorcerer. So, the main party of "thieves" are Bard, Barbarian, Druid, Paladin and Sorcerer. :)

As I saw it, there's no Rogue in the main party (he's the Hugh Grant character and he's not in the hero party; probably he's a side villain). The fifth member is a Sorcerer. So, the main party of "thieves" are Bard, Barbarian, Druid, Paladin and Sorcerer. :)

They didn't have a Sorc in the interviews. Interesting. Don't have to be a rogue to have a criminal background ;)

The Sorcerer is seen several times in the trailer. Per Wiki and IMDb, Cast:
  • Chris Pine as Edgin, a Bard
  • Michelle Rodriguez as Holga, a Barbarian
  • Regé-Jean Page as Xenk, a Paladin
  • Justice Smith as Simon, a Sorcerer
  • Sophia Lillis as Doric, a tiefling Druid
  • Hugh Grant as Forge Fitzwilliam, a Rogue

Last edited:
The Sorcerer seen several times in the trailer. Per Wiki and IMDb, Cast:
  • Chris Pine as Edgin, a Bard
  • Michelle Rodriguez as Holga, a Barbarian
  • Regé-Jean Page as Xenk, a Paladin
  • Justice Smith as Simon, a Sorcerer
  • Sophia Lillis as Doric, a tiefling Druid
  • Hugh Grant as Forge Fitzwilliam, a Rogue

I believed you, just didn't see Justice in the interviews. *shrugs* I'm just happy to see a D&D movie that looks like something I'll want to actually watch

The party will be going up against the characters from the D&D 80's cartoon. If that's accurate, we will have a Ranger, Barbarian, Cavalier, Thief, Wizard (MU) and Acrobat.

Back