Dune Part 2 2023 (24, 25, 26...)

I'm expecting this one to get better reviews if for no other reason than people being more comfortable with what to expect this time.

And it might be a better movie.

Nice review by NPR.

Nothing about Dune or Dune: Part Two feels padded or unnecessary. (Indeed, Herbert purists will complain about the wholesale eliding of entire plotlines – and one fan-favorite character, in particular.) Villeneuve carefully planted seeds in Part One that not only bear fruit in Part Two, but that fundamentally change the story being told in the process.

Haha. Wow. WBD just gutted Dune's release window. They announced on an investors call it will be on Max this spring, rumours going around saying April.

If they ever wonder why ticket sales are falling this is it.

Going to the movies can be very expensive - a good seat costs me 18 Euro per seat, so if someone goes with their partner or a family that adds up quickly. Snacks are also extremely expensive, so a family of 4 is looking at costs close to 100 Euro for one movie trip, that's insane. Why would anyone pay this if they can just wait 4-6 weeks and watch it for nearly free at home with cheap storebought snacks comfortably in their own chairs and leisure wear.

Someone once pointed out to me that they never got the appeal of certain classic movie starts (I think he was talking about Grace Kelly) until he saw them on the BIG SCREEN. Getting to see Anthony Hopkins act on a 30 foot screen is going to be different no matter how nice a home theater you have. (Unless you have a 30 foot screen, I suppose.) So, yes, I will go see Groundhog Day projected if I can. (And did.)

Arguing against interest, I suppose, it was very nice for Part One to go see it on a huge screen with a crazy sound system but then get to go home and watch it again immediately. But that was in my interest, not the studio's.

WB is being stupid. Water is wet. Sun comes up in the east. Etc.

We saw Part One at home first and then decided we needed to see (and hear) it in a theater. Some movies really do need to be seen on a BIG SCREEN. It seems like less and less of them, though, and that makes me wonder if we're going to see a contraction in the number of theaters out there over the next few years.

I rewatched Part 1 on Netflix the other day, and the visuals do lose something on a small screen, but it's still a damn good movie. I hoping to see Part 2 in theaters. I try to see most of these kind of big visual movies, like this, and the MCU, Star Wars, DCU, ect. in the theaters if I can. Most smaller scale dramas and comedies I just wait and watch on whichever streaming service they go to.

Part 1 is probably the only movie in the past decade, IMO, that actually benefitted from being seen in a theatre, which is why I am without hesitation seeing Part 2 in the theatre as well.
Endgame had to be seen in the theater. Not just for scale but also for audience.

There's a "go order your popcorn early so you don't miss the movie" ad that plays before the movie. Everyone is laughing, crying, screaming, throwing their popcorn, losing their minds, while some poor schlub missed it because he was out getting snacks. (Either what movies are that earth shattering that early, or who goes for snacks that late? Bathroom? Sure. Snacks? No way.)

Anyway, the kids are absolutely certain that that's Endgame.

Oh, that Oppenheimer thing wasn't bad either.

Oh, that Oppenheimer thing wasn't bad either.
I'm still mad at myself for not seeing it in IMAX. I guess it looked good enough on a "regular" screen, though. I heard some random person on the internet say the only part that jumped out at them in IMAX was one scene in Los Alamos.

Are most audiences that reactive? I've never had an audience act like that during the movies I've seen.
I'm telling you. Endgame. "On your left." (Also why seeing a new movie on opening weekend with a packed house can be so great.)

Watching the final reveal to The Sixth Sense. Different pockets of the audience "got it" at different moments. It was amazing.

The opening of Spaceballs. Everyone laughed. Then the ship kept going. Some people started laughing again. Then it kept going. Different people started laughing. Repeat for however long that lasts. It was a hoot.

An audience that watches a great movie with you is heaven. An audience that talks during the movie or does other things (cell phones!) during the movie is hell.

Back