Dune 2018 (19,20,21...)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by wayoung, Dec 22, 2016.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

In March, I was thinking it would be over by June. By April, I conceded it wouldn't be until after July. I've now just learned to accept it isn't ending anytime soon.

2. Reverend

Reverend Vice Admiral Admiral

Back in March, I thought I was being cynical by presuming it wouldn't be "over" until at least December. Technically correct I guess, but I thought we'd at least be *close* by now.

The Wormhole likes this.
  3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought the whole point of the HBOMax releases was so they wouldn't be postponing the movies anymore? They would just scrape out whatever they could from the box office when it came out, and then make up for it with the money from the HBOMax deal.

4. wayoung

wayoung Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Depends on the eventual deal with Legendary and the cast/crew whose compensation is partially in back end points. They may want it moved to another date to maximize theatrical profits - Villeneuve in his open letter said he was part of the negotiations for the Oct 1st date.

Sony tried to sell Bond to streaming services but none would pay what they wanted:shrug:

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought they made deals for both Godzilla vs Kong, and this?

6. wayoung

Nope, just Godzilla vs Kong. Dune is still in negotiations.

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Other way around. Netflix and Apple+ have made repeated offers for No Time to Die, but Sony feels their offers were too low.

8. wayoung

The MGM Chairman went to streaming services requesting offers, none offered enough as MGM wanted $650-$800 mil as they still had to buy out the Broccoli's back end participation in it and the highest offer was $400 mil so he gave up.

Edit to add:. Sony doesn't even have Bond anymore, that's why it was moved against Mobius....

9. wayoung

Latest trailer for HBO Max starts off with a clip from Dune, after the last trailer contained none after it came out they didn't have the rights to advertise HBO Max using Dune. Might mean they're closer to a deal and Legendary signed off on them using imagery:shrug:

Still has the caveat that the film line up may change.