DS9 on blu ray?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by borgboy, Nov 28, 2013.

1. NeroShrimp

NeroShrimp Lieutenant Red Shirt

I can't wait for Deep Space Nine to come to Blu-ray! I was waiting forever until the show came on Netflix. Now that it's on there, and after watching all the episodes, I am looking forward to CBS releasing the Blu-ray. I know it will take a while though.

2. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DS9 in HD will happen at some point, but clearly not as soon I'd like. My main concern is basically whether Blu ray will still be going when that happens. I'd prefer them to strike while the iron is hot. While they've got the access and the right team at CBS Digital. Well, because I'd like to have the whole Star Trek back catalogue in 1080p and on physical media. It's like 60-70% done with all the films, TOS, TNG & ENT. Just DS9 and VOY to go. I can maybe accept the collapse of Blu ray and cope with upscaled DVDs of Voyager. Just not DS9, based on the quality of model shots.

3. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

DS9 is probably the show that would benefit the most from HD. Much of the show looks murky and undefined in SD. I bet it would really pop and come alive in HD, much more than TNG.

4. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Can't recall, I only watched a few on Netflix awhile ago. Should still be available.

5. Reeborg

Reeborg Commander Red Shirt

This excuse was obvious from the start. ;)

6. Reeborg

Reeborg Commander Red Shirt

So NINERS, everbody should buy 4 or 5 copies of TNG-SEASON-SIX in order to show your devotion to DS9-BDs. :D

7. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

YES YES YES YES YES!!! DS9 looks amazing on blu inside and out!

Not a huge Voyager fan, but hey, VOY has a scene set on DS9 as well, so the completist in me has at least two reasons to consider buying it right along with DS9. :bolian:

It would be a terrible shame to have this unofficial, franchise-wide restoration stop short. :klingon::klingon:

A gap in releases similar to that between TOS "Remastered" and TNG HD would be acceptable and understandable, but I'd really like to see both remaining series on the same blu-ray format that's been so successful from a viewer/collector's perspective.

Here's hoping the green light comes in time :techman:

8. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh - that is a shame.

The boat really is sailing for Blu Ray as a format, particularly where I am in the UK where new catalogue releases are now quite rare, unless they keep the pace up we are unlikely to ever see hi def DS9 or VGR, at least not on disc.

9. benjaminh

benjaminh Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

To give DS9 a different look from TNG, the cinematographer intentionally shot it in lower light and with diffusion filters. I really hope it comes to HD, and I think it would really benefit. But I think some of what you are perceiving in SD is the artistic intent of the people who made the show.

10. USS KG5

"No plans" is a very ominous phrase in this context, if it has been used then a decision to probably never do DS9 has already been made.

11. benjaminh

benjaminh Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That's my guess as well. Bummer.

12. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Didn't they say the same thing about TNG though? And this "no plans" isn't coming from an official CBS press release or anything, so it's not quite as ominous.

I think the fact of the matter is, we really don't know. They haven't decided. It may be a few years before they do it. They may never do it. But they haven't made an official statement saying they won't, so we really only know it's not happening in the foreseeable future.

13. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Quite correct.

But it's human nature to speculate. My speculation based on the facts we do have (sadly) has to be DS9-R on BD is years away - or never.

I hope not though - I really want Voyager as well, much more so than DS9 to be honest.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Same here.

15. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

I really hope that Deep Space 9 is greenlit soon. I've been faithfully buying every season (except for Season 2) for the very purpose of supporting a DS9 restoration as well.

16. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I want DS9 and Voyager pretty much equally, but I would expect DS9 would be done first just because it's older.
    I really want these in blu ray! It'll be a shame if we never get it, leaving those two great shows unavailable on blu ray. I know hard copy media is probably going to go away, but I'll hang onto my blu rays and dvds to the death.

17. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

My DS9 DVD cases are literally falling apart. Its only one more reason why I really want those Blus

18. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Yeah. It'll look great, but it's definitely not going to "pop" like TNG did with its well lit sets and I imagine there will be a lot of complaints on the picture quality being "too soft". HD has unfortunately had the side effect of making a lot of folks think HD = "extra sharp and clear". I think the low light and diffusion really gave DS9 its own distinct identity from TNG, but many will likely not appreciate the artistic intent of the look of the show, aside from the production design. I look forward to seeing how it comes off in HD quality.

19. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I guess "pop" isn't really the right word. TNG is bright and colorful, while DS9 is more muted and dark. But HD scans and adjusted color timing and brightness will do those sets a lot of good.

20. USS KG5

Yeah I often feel the same way, but I have to admit having a loft full of CDs feels a bit anachronistic now, and Netflix/streaming is soooo convenient.