DS9 on blu ray?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by borgboy, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Yup. And if TNG couldn't pull off successful sales figures then how in the hell could a show with half the viewers that hasn't aired in the US in over a decade expect to?

2. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The studio does not have to pay a single penny more on this show. Ever, it they really don't want to.

£2 million to remaster TNG scraped by so narrowly they were practically shitting themselves waiting for the sales figures.

DS9 having a fraction of that audience at it's height? good luck swinging £5-9 million out of Paramount or CBS for a guaranteed loss of *at least* two thirds of that investment.

3. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

And that's that it comes down to. Fans (potential buyers) vs Cost

If a show that averaged a 6 share broke even on a $20 mil budget then a show that was a 4 share at best won't get close to breaking even.

4. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And now we wait for the inevitable fan claiming that CBS would do it for fans, because that's a nice thing to do and CBS is really aiming to keep fans happy. :rolleyes:

5. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Where has anyone in this whole discussion ever said something even remotely like this? This has clearly reached a point where some seem to be arguing for the sake of arguing. I don't see how claiming something like the above can be seen as something different. The picture you paint of those who are still seeing a slight possibilty of DS9 in high definition ever happening, is really insulting.

6. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Things are no different now than they were back then regarding profit. If money is being made, the show will go on. The studio didn't "have to" spend money on DS9. They did so because the show had *GASP* solid numbers, which translated to greater profit in ad sales, even at its lowest point.

It's proof that even at its lowest, Deep Space Nine had strong enough numbers to remain successful. Actually, the fact that it stayed on for 7 seasons is proof enough.

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I know, some fans seem to think P/CBS are running a charity, not a profit driven entertainment platform. DS9 cannot make back anywhere near enough money to support any significant investment.

A type of SD upscale for Netflix and other streaming services is the route that A) Costs the least for any future proofing and B) Supports CBS's plans moving forward with their catalogue.

Fans will have to be thankful for that.

8. dub

Oddly enough, fans can be thankful for what we have and hopeful for what we don't at the same time. And most Niners are.

9. Mage

I'm not gonna browse through all these pages for exact quotes, but it has been brought up that CBS has an obligation to fans and generations to come to save this show in HD quality before all is lost. AKA, a fan-service. And I might sound insulting here, but there comes a times when you need to realize the truth, no matter how much you might want something.

Trust me, I'm not the only thinking this by now. There have been posts upon posts with FACTS about why this literally WILL NOT happen because of the only reason any tv show is ever made; money, or the lack of it making any. DS9 on bluray will never sell enough to justify, it is as simple as that. Any wishful thinking is just that, and I find it just as insulting to keep people's hopes up for nothing.

10. dub

Wow. Some people are too easily insulted. If unqualified comments from random fans on a Star Trek message board are keeping people's hopes up, or down, then they obviously need to get out more. There are a lot of people who think and act like they know it all here. News flash: they don't. Welcome to the internet.

11. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

No, that actually was a re-render of the original files.

12. NewHorizon

They're not different models, they're the original files. For the article on Trekcore, it was just knocked up quickly as a test to show that it help up and it would once you add the film grain filter to match the rest of the footage. No doubt about it, there is work involved but as long as the original files exist it's easier than recompositing dozens of layers of film elements like they did on TNG.

13. Mage

Huh, what am I mistaken with then?

14. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

I'm sure somewhere buried in this thread is a reason why we want/need a Blu Ray release of DS9. I rewatched it on Netflix last year on my 1080p TV. I did not find its effects to be that bad. Granted it's only 40". Maybe they fall apart on larger TVs.

15. NewHorizon

You said it wasn't a re-render but rather a recreation. It wasn't a recreation, but rather a re-render using the original assets.

16. NewHorizon

17. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Which just happen to have major alterations?

All for low resolution static images and two second clips?

Which does not address the issue of the studio not wanting to spend almost $10m on remastering and disc production for a series that performed much more poorly than a far better series that barely broke even at $2m in remastering.

It doesn't matter if they have the original files, the time taken to make it work would be prohibitive alone when these projects cost a lot of money in short time.

They simply will not make back anywhere near enough money on the sales to make a profit, and likely make a significant loss. That is literally the final decision on this project to CBS and Paramount.

18. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

What happens if you play a DS9 DVD on a Blu Ray player. I seem to recall reading most if not all Blu Ray players will try to enhance DVD's during playback?

19. Eric Cheung

Eric Cheung Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This article from 1999 talks a bit about relative successes of TNG and DS9/VOY. The article compares its cult status to The X-Files, which received a low-budget blu ray release. Of course, TNG got a better restoration, with lower ratings than The X-Files (The X-Files regularly scored between 10 and 20 million viewers), so I don't know what the correlation is, or how it relates to the current state of any of the fandoms.

Have we seen any sales figures for the Full Journey sets, either UK or Australian versions? I know I posted the figures for the individual sets months and months ago, but I was waiting for, and bought, the full set. I don't know how many people were, and the figures could very well have been quite low. But we have no proof one way or another, except for circumstantial speculation that the lack of a project or lack of those numbers betray low sales.

The way those numbers looked, they were close to breaking even without taking into account the Full Journey sets. Those sets would have been the net profit, whatever their numbers were.

So you didn't buy TNG on bluray?[/QUOTE]

I bought the teaser disk for the novelty - and it was beautiful, but I couldn't justify the added expense to see a cleaner copy of a show I've seen dozens of times before, especially if I would eventually get it for essentially free in a few years.[/QUOTE]

I would like the show on Blu Ray because I want the round tables and commentaries. The DS9 Companion is one of the most essential books on TV writing I've read and I'd like to hear how their thoughts might have changed over time, especially with more Trek out there.

I know that if DS9 ever does happen on Blu Ray, I won't wait for the Full Journey box set. I'll pay full price for every season because I know the project will probably be tenuous for its entire run. I don't feel the same way as you do, but I guess enough do that the sets aren't happening. I'm probably in the minority, and it would be a niche product, but it might not get done if I wait for it to be cheap.

But I kind of wish they'd at least do the easier, earlier seasons, before the heavy CG battles. I bet the Odo stuff is actually not as prohibitively hard as the CG in the later seasons, especially since they tried to be pretty conservative with the number of times they showed him change or revert.

20. dub

You guys are eyerolling (and worse) all over the place about people expressing hope. Well...

...here's an example of people posting erroneous facts AGAINST DS9 on bluray. CBS have made no such official statement and likely never will. One can certainly argue the likelyhood of that based on everything, but all of this "literally" and "final decision" stuff is bunk.

TNG had better numbers than DS9, but DS9 still did well enough to stay on for 7 seasons. And TNG being "a far better series" is most definitely arguable, regardless of the numbers.