Discovery ending with Season 5

Yes it did. That why they had to move it to the 32nd century. They didn't understand how to make it gel with existing Canon. But of course they screwed that up to. It's so believable that officers with 900 year old out of date tech would actually not have any trouble aclimating to current tech. Lol

If that were true they wouldn't have made Strange New Worlds.

They attempted to move snw closer to a tos look and feel but it might be too little too late. They also moved to a hour format for each story because of STDs failures. Time will tell if snw moves closer to tos.

So, anyway, for everyone else, let's try to get this somewhat back on track. What was your favorite season of Discovery and what was your least favorite?

The fourth is my favorite. Upon reflection, I think the third is my least favorite. I'm looking forward to the fifth season, but I think the fourth season was more Star Trek than Star Trek, so I actually would've been okay if it stopped right there.

The fifth season, it seems like they're going on a quest, so there will be a discovery. As such, I think it might be the purest season, if we're talking about living up to the name of the series.

Last edited:
See you TOS haters are the ones who love that they moved away and ignored Canon. Lol
Shows how very little you know about me. TOS is the only Trek for me. TMP forward are just spinoffs and don't exist in the same world or continuity as TOS.

See, I can love both and room in my heart for both. No ruination, no destruction. Just entertainment.

So, anyway, for the adults, what was your favorite season Discovery and what was your least favorite?
Season 1 and 4 are tied, with 3 probably my least favorite but not by much.

The fifth season, it seems like they're going on a quest, so there will be a discovery. As such, I think it might be the purest season, if we're talking about living up to the name of the series.
I will be curious what the set up is for the quest.

If anyone knows where specifically I got my username, without looking it up, they're a hardcore TOS Fan. Back in 1996, when I was 17, I intentionally chose a deep-cut username. It's the best way to weed out the posers.

I loved the design that became the Discovery. It was originally intended for a movie that was never made called Planet of the Titans. Another deep cut. The first time I saw the design was when I bought a book called The Art of Star Trek in 1995 and it showed all the various concept designs for every Star Trek incarnation up to that point. So I was super-excited when I saw that the design was being used for Discovery. Between that and hearing the series would be heavily serialized, I knew I was going to like this show.

Before we got specifics, I always thought the sixth live-action series would follow-up on the Prime Timeline side of what happened after Romulus exploded. So Picard is actually closer to what I originally thought we'd get, and -- as luck would have it -- I ended up getting that series too.

I can't complain.

It's better then being stuck watching Picard go through his stupid chateau on the 21st century all to learn his mom committee suicide. I was so sick of that idiotic chateau. Give me a starship in my trek.
It is way better than season 2 which is one of the worst things I've ever seen.

But that doesn't somehow make s3 a masterpiece or make a TNG style show or saviour of Star Trek.

It was terrible and broke Canon more than any other show. They couldn't even get the uniforms close.

Please stop using the word “canon” to fuel your arguments. Everything officially released under the name Star Trek IS canon, whether you like it or not. The word you’re looking for is “continuity”. And Star Trek has always had continuity issues, right from the start and always will. Most shows do; it’s inevitable with such longevity. Star Trek is not some holy liturgy; it’s an entertainment series.

Please God, if you're out there, if you exist, please don't let Pubert pester the Disco Forum for the fifth season.

Perhaps Pubert will have reached Puberty by then and won’t be so petulant. We can but hope.

Please stop using the word “canon” to fuel your arguments.

It's such a non-argument in the first place. I only read a sentence of the rant I quoted above before drifting off when I realised what it was all about.

There are many ways in which DSC could be argued to be lacking, but crying because it 'broke' canon is the worst kind of asinine bullshit, especially as, as you said, these issues have existed throughout the life of the franchise.

Yes it did. That why they had to move it to the 32nd century. They didn't understand how to make it gel with existing Canon. But of course they screwed that up to. It's so believable that officers with 900 year old out of date tech would actually not have any trouble aclimating to current tech. Lol

That stuck out to me as well. I think that once Discovery made it to the 32nd century Federation, they could've started the very next episode by saying, "Six months or a year later..." I don't think they've ever really taken advantage of the 32nd century setting as much as they could've as well.

The showrunners didn't understand how to make "Discovery" gel with existing Canon? What does that mean? They didn't have to move the show and the U.S.S. Discovery to the 32nd century. It was unnecessary.

Is this all about Michael being the adoptive daughter of Sarek and Amanda? So what if Spock was Michael's adoptive brother? That didn't mean Spock had to appear on "Discovery" nearly every time. They were on separate starships. The same goes for Sarek and Amanda. And the series was set nearly a decade before "TOS". How on earth did all that harm the franchise's canon? Spock never mentioned Michael in the past? We're talking about a character who had barely discussed his family, period. He had never discussed his parents or his older half-brother to Kirk or any other member of the Enterprise crew before the latter had eventually met them. If Spock was never willing to discuss his parents or half-brother to Kirk, McCoy or anyone else, why would he even mention Michael?

But as much as I dislike the show's move to the 32nd century, I do not understand this attitude that "Discovery" was a failure. Why? Because it didn't last seven seasons? "TOS" couldn't make it beyond three seasons. Neither could "Picard". And "Enterprise" only lasted four seasons. Should all of these shows be considered failures? What am I saying? Even a good number of Trek fans regard "Voyager" - which lasted seven seasons - a failure. This fandom is just . . . this fandom is a piece of work.

Last edited:
Back