News Coronavirus Pandemic Information and Support Group

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by EmoBorg, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

How we are doing in my part of the world (Tasmania). We opened up our borders on 15 December when we were at 90% over 16 vaccinated. 13 of the deaths are from March/April 2020, the other 10 are this year.

[​IMG]of

Of the 11 in hospital, 7 are being treated for Covid while the other 4 were admitted for other reasons

By the way, we have a population of about 540,000.

Commander Troi likes this.
  2. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

Arizona population is 7,408,017.

[​IMG]

3. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commodore Commodore

I know this hasn't been updated in a while - but I'd just like to mention that it's still out there circulating among the population.
    Yesterday, one of the stores in my district had five employees all test positive for COVID and be sent home. They had to close the store down early because they didn't have enough employees to run it and to disinfect.
    Also, a friend of mine who is a stewardess, her entire flight crew, including herself, tested positive before a flight; forcing the airline to fly with a replacement air crew.
    Stay masked up people.

Worf factor9, Avro Arrow and oberth like this.
  4. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

It’s all about Monkeypox in the UK now. That’s our next big one

5. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Definitely, no matter how much people seem to want to act like that's not the case.

We currently have a provincial election campaign going on here, and the current leader of the official opposite had to cancel her in-person campaign events because she tested positive for COVID.

We apparently have an outbreak of that going on in Quebec right now, too.

6. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

They said on TV it can only be transmitted by skin contact, so it's not airborne is that right?

7. oberth

oberth Commodore Commodore

fox?

8. Gingerbread Demon

No not on Fox but on commercial tv

9. Worf factor9

Worf factor9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Do you have a link or remember which network/channel?

And Fox is very, very commercial $, with their bull-crap. sadly.

10. Gingerbread Demon

11. Worf factor9

Worf factor9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thank you for the link.

I currently live in a very Red-neck, you may possibly--just guessing--term it locally as the Outback, area of the States and always mask up when I go to the store. If they don't like it...they can Go Bugger themselves.

thx again and stay safe.

12. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Ugh... can COVID cause you to lose your voice? For the first time in two years, I have almost fully lost my voice, and I'm not feeling great at the moment. My co-teacher is down and we both have known exposure to the virus.
    If anyone heard loud swearing coming from Kirkland, Washington, I heartily apologize for Friday night!

13. oberth

oberth Commodore Commodore

as it can have all symptoms of the common cold ...

14. Non Sync

Non Sync Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hiding from the NARA, I've said too much...
    My wife had a cold which she generously shared with me. She tested negative three times and I tested negative once.

FYI, received my 2nd booster this morning. Operations have scaled back. Kaiser Permanente only has vaccination clinics at their hospitals instead of a few of their other offices. The one I went to was operating out a multipurpose room with about fourteen chairs. No longer requiring you to wait the fifteen minutes if you had no reaction to previous three shots.

15. Peach Wookiee

Which is downright annoying during allergy season! This is the first time in a long time that I've lost my voice. Pre-pandemic, I lost it at least four times in a school year! But in the past two years, I lost it once for overuse and once due to wildfire smoke. This episode is likely my body's early warning system kicking in. I'll just have to wait on the test, I suppose.

16. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's why I couldn't sleep :nyah:

*waves from Spokane*

17. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I just found out that my Grandma Ruth died in her nursing home from complications of COVID that she was diagnosed with on Thursday. She was also 98 years old and had Alzheimer's for the past 15 years, so this is something we had long been prepared for, but physically she was healthy enough that her doctors had expected her to pull through the COVID until it took a turn for the worst late last night.

My grandparents on my Mom's and Dad's sides were next door neighbors, which is how my parents met. Now my grandparents and parents are all gone, and only my maternal grandparents reached really "old age", with my parents and paternal grandparents all dying in their mid-50s to early 60s.

My grandma Ruth was born on a horse ranch in Kentucky. As a teenager she contracted tuberculosis and the doctors recommended that the family move out west where the dry air would be better for her, so they came to California. With her health improved, she started modelling, then worked on an airplane assembly line as a Rosie the Riveter during WWII. She met my grandpa Herb and they married before he shipped out to Europe as a paratrooper. After tours in Europe and the Pacific theater, he came home and they went on to have seven children.

It was always amusing watching my mom react when my grandma would dote on her grandkids (I was the first) and spoil us rotten, remarking on what a difference it was from her childhood. She'd always make time to play hide and seek, or a card or board game. Having grown up in the Depression, she always overcompensated with her grandkids, always trying to feed us. She always had the stereotypical grandmother treats like butter mints in a crystal jar on the table. She and grandpa took us all in for two years when my mom left my dad because of his abuse.

It was hard seeing such a vibrant soul break down after the loss of her husband. Alzheimer's is especially cruel in that she would frequently forget that grandpa was dead and would have to relive the pain of his death and absence all over again. So in a sense this was a release, I just with it hadn't happened as a result of COVID, and that she hadn't spent her last days severely sick and in relative isolation (we got to speak via Zoom but she didn't really seem aware of what was going on).

I don't believe in an afterlife, but she did, and I hope she and Herbie get to spend eternity in each other's arms dancing the night away. I love you and miss you, Grandma.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  18. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's a beautiful post, @Locutus of Bored. I'm very sorry for your loss, and for your family's.

Locutus of Bored likes this.
  19. Peach Wookiee

Sorry about that! *waves back!*

Locutus, please accept a virtual hug from me. It's never easy, even when you know the end is inevitable. And COVID has been particularly cruel.

20. Gingerbread Demon