Consolidated Trailer Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Campe, May 17, 2017.

?

Grade the trailer

1. A+

17.8%
  2. A

16.8%
  3. A-

20.8%
  4. B+

13.7%
  5. B

9.6%
  6. B-

3.6%
  7. C+

2.5%
  8. C

3.6%
  9. C-

3.6%
  10. D+

2.0%
  11. D

1.5%
  12. D-

1.0%
  13. F

3.6%
  1. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Have we all forgotten about the Romulans? The Andorians? Or the Trill? Or the Borg?

Jarvisimo, Nerys Myk and Rahul like this.
  2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Borg and the Andorians really haven't changed all that much. I mean you advance the make up to go with the various year sentimentalites, but they have more or less stayed the same. I forgot about the Trill though, but then we only saw one Trill before DS9 and I'm glad they updated the Trill look for DS9.

3. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Andorian look changed greatly in the one episode on TNG ("The Offspring") where one was depicted on the Holodeck; and then changed again for ENT.

The Romulan look also changed from TOS when compared to how they looked on TNG (TNG added ridges to the Romulan forehead.)

So, yeah, sorry, but the Klingon's aren't the only Star Trek species to get a bit of a 'look makeover' from series to series.

4. CRM-114

CRM-114 Captain Captain

Actually, the Kelvin Romulans do have ridged eyebrows but they are far more subdued and less "mannequin of a caveman"-like.

5. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Ok, I didn't know about the CBS Trailer being different to the lackluster Netflix one. It looked a little better but still was very poor for a full trailer.

6. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know what? As to the 'JJ Verse' look of that Bridge in the promo:

Since the U.S.S. Kelvin was built and LAUNCHED in the PRIME UNIVERSE. (Remember the timeline didn't diverge until Nero's ship appeared), so again, the U.S.S. Kelvin as depicted - Bridge and all - flew IN the 'Prime Universe' timeline.

Thus, if the ship depicted in the ST: D promo is from that same period IE the 2230ies (and it looks old enough and has design elements from the NX-01 in the Saucer section and Deflector) - then that Bridge is 100% consistent with a Prime Universe Bridge from the 2230ies. ;)

Andru, TalonCard, jespah and 6 others like this.
  7. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

How do you know? They only show the USS Shenzhou in the trailer.

OpenMaw likes this.
  8. dinzy

dinzy Captain Captain

Drinking Jippers on a beach somewhere in MD
    well it looks promising. High production values. I am a little put off by the fucking bulky flip communicator. No way in hell we would use tech like that in 20 years let alone 220. Please don't have exploding consoles.

9. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am... whelmed.
    It's noticably a trailer for a tv-show, not a movie. I like the klingon look way more than expected from the leaked image. I think the interiour of the Shenzou looks too dark. Not a fan that they adopted the "front window" from the JJ-Trek movies. Also somewhat unhappy we don't see anything of the Discovery (but hopefully she has a brighter bridge). My biggest complaint would be that the show seems too focused on SMG's character. I much prefer an ensemble show, and we didn't see much of other important characcters. Also, not a fan of the alien being capable to"sense death". What is he, a timetraveller?

The planets, special effects and production values look amazing. As is expected for a 2017 sci-fi show. There seems to be a clear story arc set up, which I like.

The biggest net positive is: It's undeniably Star Trek! And a somewhat realistic depiction of it. I think it's going to be alright. I'm eagerly awaiting to see more.

Mr. Nova likes this.
  10. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

I am meh after watching the trailer. There is nothing which stands out visually for me.

11. NOVE9

NOVE9 Commander Red Shirt

Looks like the lense flair is only in the CBSAA trailer, if you watch the netflix trailer you'll see the same scenes without it.

Rahul likes this.
  12. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

What? That wasn't Discovery? Oh, geez. I thought that it was. Oh, well. Maybe they still will fix.

13. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, if they ever start messing with the way Tribbles look, I'm through with Star Trek for good! :bolian:

Jedman67 likes this.
  14. Michael

Right, no change at all … :p

[​IMG]

15. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

USS Shenzhou <=> Captain Georgiou (Michelle Yeoh)

USS Discovery <=> Captain Lorca (Jason Isaacs)

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  16. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Misremember you do, me thinks,.

17. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think my biggest complaint of the trailer would be the misdirect: They entirely only showed the Shenzou, not a single image, neither interious nor outside, of the Discovery.

You don't do that. Not showing the main center of action. Many a fans will be confused and think this would be the main setting. That's like if the first trailer for Trek09 only showed the Kelvin.

Apart from that it's a nice trailer.

18. Michael

I choose to believe they're doing that on purpose. I guess seeing the Discovery for the first time in the show will have a special kind of revelation with a special meaning to Michael Burnham.

Vger23, Zonker, CRM-114 and 3 others like this.
  19. MadeIndescribable

MadeIndescribable Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can only presume they didn't want to give away too many spoilers?

20. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As I pointed out up-thread, the "front window" viewscreen is technically established as canon in "Requiem for Methuselah". Kirk peeks in the "front window" of the miniaturized Enterprise to see the frozen bridge crew.

TalonCard likes this.