Concerns about the new ST

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by AdmiralBruno, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Television has gotten a lot better since the 90s, it's really better than what's in theaters right now. Except for broadcast television, most of it is still awful with a few exceptions. Most of those shows have diverse casts and they help make the world of the show feel more realistic. The world is actually fairly diverse if you leave your house, it makes sense that media would try to recreate reality to some degree.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

For now. :shifty:

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That will change...

4. m.lp.ql.m

m.lp.ql.m Commander Red Shirt

I think they called that one Voyager, or something... :lol:

5. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

I like how the OP, from what I'm seeing is a troll, sneaks his homophobia into yet another thread he starts, and bookends it with thin and lightweight "concerns" he has about the new series.

borgboy likes this.
  6. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

The OP is gone. How about not talking about him any more?

7. Dilandu

Dilandu Commander Red Shirt

Sorry, seems I missed the "fun" (sort of) - who is OP?

8. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

The Original Poster; the person who writes the Original Post to start a thread.

9. Dilandu

Dilandu Commander Red Shirt

Ah. Understood. Thanks for explanation.

10. JediMindMeld

JediMindMeld Lieutenant Red Shirt

The Netflix deal is great news though, both for CBS and all of us in the rest of the world outside North America. It's the biggest platform for tv distribution right now. If you were concerned that the budget and the scope of the show would be limited by it being an CBS All Access show, this was literally the best thing that could have happened. It'll give them a ton of creative space that wasn't there before. I don't think any Star Trek production has had that much elbow room since TNG.

As for piracy it actually helps to reinforce popularity sometimes. Game of Thrones is the most pirated anything, year after year, and it's still doing great. HBO:s online services have increased proportionally to illegal downloads, and I think there's a good chance the same will happen with Discovery if the show is good and starts leaving a mark in pop culture.

m.lp.ql.m likes this.
  11. Koo

Koo Ensign Red Shirt

I hope it's still early enough that if the show is set before Nemesis, CBS will take note of all the negative feedback on the ship design and (implied) timeline being around the TOS era and change it.

12. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

If they do, I'd be disappointed (it's their choice, but artists should be free to put forth what they wish and hope for the best--the audience is not entitled to satisfaction).

13. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I hope they pay no attention whatsoever to the fan reaction.

14. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

The fans hated TNG when it started too. Some fans just want the same thing over and over with nothing changed. They should always be ignored and have nothing to contribute.

Kelso and Ovation like this.
  15. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

To be fair the first seasons of TNG weren't the exactly the best seasons of Trek. Come to think of it most season ones were weaker than what followed.

ELURIA likes this.
  16. T'Arwen

T'Arwen Commander Red Shirt

A good story doesn't create meaning from nothing. Values aren't any less real whether they come from your parents or fiction. In fact, studies show that reading actually increases empathy. I realize they're only talking about books but in some cases, people might just get important philosophy from a TV show or movie. If somebody is a saint, who cares whether their values come from pop culture or the people involved in their childhood?
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/novel-finding-reading-literary-fiction-improves-empathy/

I'm normally pro-author intent but in the case of IDIC, the fact that it gets brought up over and over in every TV incarnation makes it an essential Trek concept. It might have started as vehicle to selling jewelry but evolved into something bigger. This review explains more reasons why IDIC is important better than I can.
    http://www.trektoday.com/reviews/tos/is_there_in_truth_no_beauty.shtml

17. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

A person who builds their philosophy from an education that includes historical readings on the topic is different than the one who builds a holy shrine of IDIC or The Force as the center of their belief system. At best, such a shrine might become Scientology. A good person might enjoy the philosophies represented in Star Wars and Star Trek, but the person's core does not originate from the shows without other cultish personality issues - let's not confuse cause and effect.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  18. T'Arwen

T'Arwen Commander Red Shirt

I'm arguing that cause is LESS IMPORTANT than effect so I have no idea why you think I'm confusing the two.

They actually count Jedi as a religion in some countries. A quick Google search and this problem came up: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/36942171/australians-asked-not-to-list-their-religion-as-jedi

It lowers the representation of atheists and non-religious people in the census. Some taxes might get diverted the wrong way but it's probably pennies compared to the benefits preachers like Creflo Dollar get. Jedi aren't telling people to shun family who don't believe the same thing. Where are the Leah Reminis trashing the leaders? Where are the Tom Cruises pitching the religion? To compare philosophies of most shows to Scientology is ridiculous. I also don't see anything cultish about the people who criticize the OP based on IDIC. If you can give me more specific examples, I'd be happy to hear it.

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  19. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The ugly ship is getting people talking, probably A LOT MORE than would be talking if it was a pretty ship.

I am beginning to worry about CBSAA. I think they would have to have some other must-watch shows come onto that platform at the same time. I'd like to assume they're doing this, but assumptions lead to disappointment.
    Does the Trek brand have the power to overcome the weird ghetto this show appears to be being launched in?
    :shrug: