Classic Who on BBC America

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by OmahaStar, Jan 21, 2013.

1. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Next Sunday night, from 8p-10p (Central), BBC America will be showing the First Doctor story The Aztecs.

As I understand it, they will be doing this once a month, a two-hour block with one Doctor's story, leading up to the anniversary in November.

2. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I wish they'd do this more often instead of showing 50 episodes of Top Gear a day.

3. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

Sweet!!! Yeah, hopefully, this will take up more and more room on their schedule each month to replace endless Top Gear episodes.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

That's great! They should show Doctor Who all the time! ST: TNG and BSG are not British productions!

5. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ Yeah-- I do not understand why BBCA plays BSG and ST:TNG. Also, while I know that Top Gear and that Ramsay Kitchen Guy must be popular, I find it hard to believe that there are not other British programmes (both currently being made AND older out-of-production shows) that Americans would enjoy with which the BBCA could fill out their schedule. :confused:

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I'll make a note to check it out.

7. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Wish Netflix would get some more classic Doctor Who beyond the 10 or so stories they have had for the past 2 years.

8. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Aztecs? Cool! I haven't seen that one!

At first I wondered, why not "An Unearthy Child"? But then I assumed maybe that one is being reserved for the anniversary date itself, Nov. 23 (or the weekend closest to it).

Thanks for the "heads up"!

Sincerely,

Bill

9. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

BBC America is a commercial network, and they have to show things that they know will get eyeballs for advertisers and will justify what they pay to show it.

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting, and a surprising choice. I'd think they'd play it safe with some Tom Baker initially. It's what they used to play when they had classic Who back in the day.

11. Allyn Gibson

No, the BBC and its partners are doing a one Doctor per month thing for the anniversary:

January: First Doctor
    February: Second Doctor
    March: Third Doctor
    April: Well, you get the idea.

That's why Destiny of the Doctors is structured the way it is. That's why Prisoners of Time is structured the way it is. That's why the eBook series is structured the way it is.

So, we can expect a Troughton on BBC America in February, a Pertwee in March, and so on.

12. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Plus, The Aztecs is a good commercial for the Special Edition coming out with Galaxy 4 new episode. And The Aztecs is actually one of my favorite Hartnells

13. Mr. Adventure

I had missed the one-and-done part of this. I think for BBCA and many who only know Who from its current incarnation that T Baker would probably draw more sustainable interest than Hartnell.

14. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll check this out. I've never seen anything with the first Doctor.

15. Robert D. Robot

I guess I should have been a bit better on how I phrased my comment-

I do understand the needs of a commercial network. It just seems sad that the only British programmes that Americans are interested in (or networks think Americans are interested in) are Who, Top Gear & Ramsay on BBCA and the same handful of 20-30 year old repeats of British comedies that are shown on PBS on Saturday nights.

BSG and Trek on BBCA? Sort of like flying to Paris so you can eat at McDonalds.

16. Mr. Adventure

But BSG and TNG have a British guy in them! :)

17. Allyn Gibson

I don't disagree with you. WETA UK (a side-channel of a local PBS station), in my opinion, offers a better line-up of British programs than BBC America.

18. Robert D. Robot

OK-- OK, then..... so it's more like flying to Paris & going to a Mc Donald's & ordering "Le Royal Cheese"! ;)

19. Robert D. Robot

WETA UK sounds interesting! I lived in the Baltimore/DC area a while back & enjoyed WETA, but I wasn't there (I am assuming) when WETA UK came into being.

20. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

BBC America is an American TV Network. It may be owned by the BBC and show some of its programming, but it's headquartered in New York with Americans in charge of the daily operations and programming.

To use the McDonalds analogy, McDonalds has different restaurants around the world, but they tailor the menus in some countries to appeal to the customers there. BBC America is a BBC outlet geared towards Americans, and its programming reflects that.