Better Titles for Certain Episodes

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Defiler-Of-Redshirts, May 8, 2019.

1. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Where No One Has Gone Before" becomes "Journey to the Center of the Universe"

"Where No Man Has Gone Before" becomes "To the Edge"

2. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

"The Samaritan Snare" becomes "Aliens dumber than rocks outsmart the senior staff of Enterprise."

'Darmok" becomes "Aliens use a jargon that demands half an hour of similes to get someone to pass the salt."

3. SJGardner

SJGardner Commodore Commodore

This genuinely starts to approach the point where we should compile the whole list into a big, unified database of improved alternative episode titles in full production/airing order. Give it two or three weeks and we'll cover all of canon.

4. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It takes all episode for them to figure what I knew before the credits roll--they. Are. Speaking. In Metaphor! Go bridge crew! I don't know what they are saying with metaphor, but I know I know they are speaking in Metaphor.

"Should be a Short Trek or have a different ending."

5. tafkats

tafkats Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know which episode it would be, but in keeping with Trek's tradition of Shakespeare references, there has to be some episode for which "Never Taste of Death But Once" would be a good title. (From "Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.")

"Encounter at Farpoint" could have been "More Things in Heaven and Earth" (from Hamlet).

6. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've got one for Samaritan Snare:

"What, did your rubber band break?"

"Sacrifice of Angels" is now "Favor the Bold"

"Favor the Bold" is now "Step Toward the Abyss"

7. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Not only are they speaking in metaphors but it seems to be references to historical events. So before you can even talk you need to know your history, like if at some point Napoleon said to Josephine in Paris: "Pass the salt" then when you want to ask someone to pass the salt you say: "Napoleon and Josephine in Paris." The problem is, how did Napoleon ask Josephine to pass the salt without the words or the expression to do so? That language leads to a chicken and the egg paradox. But it's only Star Trek, you can't expect them to have thought this through. Well, it's good enough for an hour of entertainment but no more.

8. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

"Darmok" could have been "Temba, His Arms Wide".

9. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

"Genesis" becomes "Riker Goes Ape" or "Worf Bites!" by the way we're lucky that the "devolve" virus didn't affect Data (like he was inexplicably affected in "The Naked Now" for example) or he would have become an actual toaster!:guffaw:

10. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This! Where do the names Darmok and the name of Shaka originate? This episode needed to stew. Perhaps, they talk of their history with outsiders, to prevent contact, and highlight their history? Perhaps, the higher form of communication is storytelling and that lower forms of communication do not carry the same weight, in their society? Like how we value poetry over the utility of "How are you?" So, to have respect, as a ship's Captain, you must speak in metaphor.

This is a great idea. It highlights the generalized, shared concepts behind a word, and that we must share not only the understanding of the word, but the concept behind the word uttered. For instance, I say "chair," and generally speaking, you know what object it labels because we both have been taught these five symbols, in combination, create four legs and a seat. We think in language, dream in language. Very few thoughts are done without at least one language. It continues to grow, and evolve, which is why Shakespeare is difficult to read. Bae and turnt are new words; language evolves.

But, the concepts they are tackling, are not rational, in the society created. We needed more time with the Children of Tama. They needed to consult linguists, and to sharpen this script. It was lauded in 1992 as inventive. Today, scrutiny could tear their concept, which is as thin as the sheet of paper contained in the script, to pieces.

Discofan likes this.
  11. MAGolding

MAGolding Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To me, "Shaka, When the Walls fell" seems like the better description of the episode with its logical problems.

12. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

I still think "Darmok" is one of the best episodes. Sometimes overanalyzing the logic of a story detracts from it and enjoying it. I find it a remarkable concept and one of the more alien races in STAR TREK because of it.

13. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Plus it's one of TNG's best-remembered episodes, IOW one of the most original.