Batman with Ben Affleck-- Rumors, pic, etc;

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

WB has confirmed what we all have suspected-- that Ben Affleck will be getting a solo Batman ovie.

Now, as much as I didn't really care for BvS, I actually did think that Affleck made a decent Batman and am looking forward to the movie, especially if Affleck is directing rather than Snyder.

2. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Its probably too much to ask to have someone but Joker be the main villain. We've still never seen a live action Clayface, or a good live action Mr. Freeze. Nolan's Batman could only fight boring/"realistic" villains, but this Batman lives in a world with Superman. It at least has the potential to use some villains Nolan wouldn't touch.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I'm still hoping for an "Under the Hood" adaptation. It would lose a lot of its power in a world where Batman kills, though, but I think it could be salvaged if it turns out Batman used to follow his traditional no-kill policy, but went over the edge by the time of BvS (probably spurred by Robin's murder), and after his BvS experiences, Batman has gone back to his old ways and sworn not to kill anymore. Then suddenly people start turning up dead and the police and the press believe Batman's to blame, so the police are hunting Batman while Batman and Commissioner Gordon (and hopefully Nightwing) try to figure out what's really going on.

4. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm trying to remember what was decent about Affleck's performance as Bruce Wayne and Batman besides performing a lot of action which was equal to what I've seen Batman has done before. Since he's an older Batman, what would this world explore besides videogame type story scenarios? What I appreciated about Bale's performance was how he handled the public persona of Bruce Wayne; aloof, narcissistic, and what I thought of spoiled rich, nepotistic people. It was brilliant IMO.

Affleck's Bruce Wayne doesn't hide anything, he's like Michael Keaton's Batman, Batman in a suit - in plain site IMO. I just don't have an investment in this version of Batman. His actions in BvS was crossing the line from Batman's retconned ethics, but this could very well be the image of The Bat-Man of the 40's, like Keaton's Batman in the Burton films IMO. So we will see. The scene I was looking forward to was Batman saving Martha, I didn't expect what I've seen from the final trailer would be the scene; not knowing there wouldn't be more of it.

5. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

So, Affleck is totally gonna realize the ultimate fanboy fantasy, writing, directing and starring in his very own Batman movie.

6. Wyse

Wyse Lieutenant Red Shirt

I've got my fingers crossed any ideas of an Under the Red Hood adaption isn't totally off the table.

One of the things I liked about BvS is that they showed Bruce actually doing detective work, so I'd appreciate seeing more of that in any future movies. Dark Victory or Black Mirror stuff would be great. More current stories, maybe the Talons with the Court of Owls? Or Hush. Hush could lead into an UtRH follow up since it was shown Hood was working in the backround on that.

And Brucie. I want to see Brucie realized on screen.

7. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

8. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

There was certainly more of it than the trailer showed.

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to admit I wasn't blown away by Affleck's performance in BvS either... but then again that could just be the fault of the dull and lifeless storyline he was a part of, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on that.

I've always thought the character worked best when he had kind of a dark sense of humor (which is a big part of why I love Keaton's Batman so much), so hopefully future movies will let us see more of that side. Because otherwise he's just a grim angry guy in a bat costume, which is pretty much all we saw of him in BvS.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  10. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

There was more Frank Miller influence evident in this depiction of Batman.

Clayface was in the "Birds of Prey" TV series. But he was more of an ordinary guy with a skin condition.

Kor

11. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I completely forgot about that (I've seen the show and own it on DVD, but a lot of it is not very memorable). I guess I'll amend what I said and hope we get a good incarnation of Clayface in live action.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really glad to finally get official confirmation of this. I'm with Kirk55555 here, I would prefer to see them use a villain other than Joker. We're already getting DCEU Joker in Suicide Squad, and we've already gotten 2 Joker vs Batman movies, let's see something different this time.

13. Arrrrgggh

Arrrrgggh Captain Captain

It's almost assuredly going to have something to do with Robin's death in order for that scene in BvS to make more sense for those who only watch the movies, and thus the Joker.

Personally, I hope that with Affleck in so much control of the movie he actually produces a Batman movie with an actual Batman in it. One not dressed in 500 lbs. of rubber that cripples his ability to move, and one who actually engages in some serious detective work (even if noir movieish detective work). Not just a depowered Superman relying on brute strength or firearms to get the job done.

14. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't see why this is necessary at all.

He did that in Batman v Superman, cloning smart phones to go through them and digging through Luthor's computer are examples of modern day detective work.

What do people think actual detective work is exactly?

Kor and Skywalker like this.
  15. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

And his Batman was certainly not hampered by his suit. Did you see how fast and agile he was in that fight scene against the thugs near the end of the movie?

16. Kor

The armor suit came straight out of the comics. I don't see what the problem is. :confused:

Kor

17. Arrrrgggh

Arrrrgggh Captain Captain

It helps when you don't ignore the rest of sentence you're quoting. I'll let you scroll back up and reread it yourself, even though we both know you probably won't because if you were actually interested in addressing it, you would have the first time around.

And to clarify even though I'm sure you're going to ignore this, too: No, that's not what I was talking about. He basically pulled a Star Trek "computer, find me the exact information I need" with that. I'd rather see some old noirish-style investigation, personally tracking down leads, bribing or interrogating the right people, putting pieces of the puzzle together, and/or even just having a noteworthy portion of the story devoted to the act rather than simply handwaving it away by asking his computer to do it. Or by having someone like Alfred do it off-screen. Or any other such yawn-inducing forms of "detective work."

God forbid wanting to see the World's Greatest Detective actually be a detective.

The fight scene where it looked like he was playing Doom or something? <Barely move other than a punch> <barely move other than a punch> <sort of a kind of really slow and cumbersome dodge> <another barely move other than a punch>

I also saw his training regimen which was pretty much just a few different types of weight-lifting/pulling/dragging. Rather than anything even close to gymnastic-oriented, which is how he's portrayed in most other forms of media. The movies have never portrayed that sort of thing, even the much-beloved Nolan ones. Instead, he relies on brute force and body armor to get the job done. Hell, I can't even think of any good examples of him fighting smart rather than just straight-up brawling, though I'm sure there has to be at least a few times where he's done that.

18. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

19. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

^^
    I don't see why he wouldn't get final cut, WB often likes to make a point how they support their directors and don't interfere with their vision.

20. Kor

I just think it's the height of vanity for a director (or producer) to also star in the film that he is directing (or producing). :rolleyes:

Kor