Babylon 5

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Kail, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Chilli

Chilli Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He's over the years habitually revealed himself at conventions as a gag, for example at the 2018 San Diego Comic Con. To be fair to him, convention goers going to a John Barrowman panel will be expecting certain exuberance - and to be doubly fair, there seems to be an almost pathological strain to his exhibitionism. But it still seems like his take-away to the sticky situation he got himself into in the Torchwood days was not "don't expose yourself to strangers", but "don't expose yourself in situations where it might get you into trouble".

He has apologized for his behavior, yes, but then turned right around and gave an exclusive interview to the Daily Mail, a total rag that's all about drumming up reactionary resentments. Thing is, I don't actually disagree with what he's saying in the interview, but lending your name and fame to the Daily Mail in an attempt to better your name is ... a choice. (Though again to be fair, I can understand that the stress of the situation he was in contributed to strange choices being made.)

His social media persona as of late has been that of an out-of-touch diva, like that time he went onto a long video rant about how M Night Shyamalan's latest movie was so bad he got the cinema to refund his ticket, which, well, congratulations on making some teenager's life hell, dude.

So, eh, I don't think he's irredeemable or anything like that, and I do think he became subject to some pretty screwed-up dynamics, but he continues to have a "more trouble than it's worth" vibe to me.

Mr. Adventure and Asbo Zaprudder like this.
  2. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I can't work out why Barrowman is still appearing on the BBC. I know shows such as QI come from independent production companies but I expect a strong memo went out after Savile, Hall, Harris etc. came to light. The Beeb are very sensitive about such things nowadays - at least, I thought they were.

Anyway - lots more fish in the sea when it comes to casting Bester (or equivalent).

3. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Does anyone remember when we were talking about Babylon 5? :p

4. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Babylon 5? That some Ur chanting group? :p

5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Babylon what ?

Commander Troi likes this.
  6. Asbo Zaprudder

My guess is it'll be 2023 before see anything on screen even if it comes to pass.

7. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

I figured folks were being funny. Made me laugh. :hugegrin:

8. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I forgot to list my Marcus, Bester and Mr Morden and Tallia

Marcus=Peter Serafinowicz
    Bester =Clark Gregg
    Mr Morden=Charles Baker
    Tallia=Lucy Liu

9. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Guess time will tell.

10. ThreeEdgedSword

ThreeEdgedSword Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Talia Winters as the new Bester! (I don't think the actress is acting anymore though, so it won't happen.)
    No Shatner or Bakula, please.
    And since this time around, the Ivanova actor would stay on, we wouldn't need no bloody Lochley. Thank the Gods. Same for Byron, Lyta or Talia were originally to have his arc, I believe.

ETA: I always thought that G'Kar and Londo were middle-aged. Not that it would matter much underneath all those Narn prosthetics... But those two, for me, are so iconic I'd prefer they not be recast anyway. Just use some different characters.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  11. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

You're assuming that it'll be basically the same story. JMS doesn't seem to be doing that.
    As for Byron, the only change was that Ivanova was supposed to be the one romantically involved with him and that was transferred to Lyta after Christian quit.

12. ThreeEdgedSword

ThreeEdgedSword Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's right, I forgot this won't be the same plot, which is a good thing. Although I'm wondering... They can't do something in the future if it's supposed to be on B5. Maybe an alternate TL?

Hm, I thought I read that according to the original timeline we would've been spared pseudo Jesus, maybe wishful thinking...

13. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

In the original (meaning the 7-page outline that JMS wrote before season 1), there was no mention of Valen, either. But for a messianic character, the sequel series outlined, Baylon Prime, would have had Sheridan & Delenn's son become a revered, religious symbol (which one has to admit didn't happen to Byron and did happen to G'Kar in the series we got).

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Togg

We were supposed to hate Byron.

He was supposed to be a self important egotistical prick.

He was destined to Jesus himself, because he erroneously thinks that highly of himself.

Robin is okay.

I appreciate how much he made and makes me loath Byron.

Sindatur and Commander Troi like this.
  15. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

That's not what his Twitter posts indicate, at least as I understood them.

My understanding is that he's going to be telling the same overall story; he just won't be telling it in the same way, which is why I think we'll see a narrative that's much more close to his original outlines for the show.

16. Asbo Zaprudder

Yes, a road-not-taken, rebooted story would interest me most; a view-from-the-gallery type story with different character viewpoints but the same main beats - not so much; an exact and faithful re-rendering - not really at all. Although Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead is an excellent counterpoint to Hamlet (perhaps superior in some respects), I'm not sure I'd want to watch a TV version applied to the entirety of a new iteration of Babylon 5. One episode would be fine - it was a fine conceit during one episode of The Mandalorian.* It does sound like we'd be getting the first option.

* Especially, in the version that the Auralnauts created:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    StarCruiser and Starkers like this.
  17. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    A whole series with Mack and Bo with a a coterie of the fixit guys.

Seven of Five likes this.
  18. Asbo Zaprudder

One episode was enough. It was hardly Super Mario.

19. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Clark Gregg is an inspired choice because he can play the character as being so sympathetic the viewer could be on his side; but, he can also play ruthless.

20. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I think you are correct on your interpretation of the article, but it also seems that he is approaching it from a "if I knew then what I know now" perspective---so I am thinking that we will have a contemporary interpretation of his original idea.