Babylon 5

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Kail, Nov 21, 2015.

1. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't forget that 4K Blu-Ray discs support HEVC encoding which is H.265 HEVC and 4K Blu-Ray players that support HEVC have been around since 2015/2016

H.266 VVC just came July 2020, so it's going to be a bit of time before we see Blu-Ray adopt it.

To give you an idea of how space efficient H.265 HEVC is over H.264 AVC is
    For a given ~40 min 720p (1280x720) file encoded in the exact same video quality
    H.264 AVC_ ~= 885 MiB
    H.265 HEVC ~= 205 MiB ~= 76.84% savings in file size from H.264
    H.266 VVC ~= 30-50% file size of the HEVC encoding.

Don't forget that Blu-Ray discs come in 25/50/100/128 GB standards in 1x/2x/3x/4x layers.

So you can encode ALOT of video onto Blu-Ray at whatever resolution you think is appropriate for a HD Remaster of Babylon 5.

Since Babylon 5 was filmed for SD resolutions, I wouldn't be surprised if they only stuck to HQ 1080p and shoved it onto 4K Blu-Ray to fit in as many episodes as possible onto a 4 layer disc.

jackoverfull and David cgc like this.
  2. Kraig

Kraig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Also the girl wasn't yet a part of Psi-Corps.

3. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I think I just had a fever dream of a casting idea:

John Barrowman as Al Bester

Barrowman is getting on but I think he could project an unsettling sympathetic charisma even given Bester's agenda.

4. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

Has anyone suggested William Shatner as Bester yet?

SSHHHEEERRRRRIIIDDAAAAAANNNNNN!

5. Asbo Zaprudder

Shatner is 90 years old. For a one-time appearance, he could play someone like Santiago but I won't go into the reasons a longer-term recurring role might not work. If he were 40 to 50 something, fine. Barrowman is pushing it at 54.

Here's another thought, how about Welsh actors for Minbari? The Welsh accent is not very familiar to audiences outside the UK and Ireland.

Eve Myles as Delenn.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Yer 'avin a laugh Boyo !

7. Asbo Zaprudder

I'm smuggling in the cast of Torchwood, one by one, as JMS didn't get the Who gig. However, I don't think Gemma Chan was in that show. She did appear in Doctor Who (The Waters of Mars) though. So I'll broaden my casting suggestions to Whoverse alumni.

Karen Gillan as the Lyta Alexander/Talia Winters character
    Peter Serafinowicz as Neroon and Mr Welles

He didn't appear in the Whoverse, but David Allen Brooks could return as Max Eilerson. He might not be actively working anymore though.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  8. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'd have -

John Barrowman as Sheridan

Gareth David Lloyd as Sinclair

Burn Gorman as Bester

Daniela Denby Ashe as Talia

Indira Varma as Lochley

Any more ? Naoko Mori as...

Commander Troi likes this.
  9. Asbo Zaprudder

IMO John Barrowman is too old to be playing a character still serving in the rank of Captain, especially after so many Earthforce troops were killed in the E-M war. Also a little Barrowman goes far enough. Burn Gorman is typically cast as "creepy guy" but I think Bester is meant to be ambiguously evil. It would be nice for the actor to get to play a bit against his usual casting. Naoko Mori as Laurel Takashima? Again, probably too old to play an XO. As this would air on The CW, I expect you've got to have actors front and centre mirroring a younger demographic with a sprinkling of oldies allowed in the cast. Also the actors' unions might disapprove of too many non-US/Canadian actors being cast, although I don't know where this will be filmed - perhaps in BC?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  10. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

Andy Robinson as the President of the Earth Alliance.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I enjoyed Babylon 5 to a great degree, not sure I see it as something that needs to be relaunched.

ThreeEdgedSword likes this.
  12. Asbo Zaprudder

Yeah, I 'd rather this were its own thing but I guess Babylon 5 has brand recognition so guaranteeing an audience who will be interested in watching it. However, what is the Venn diagram for that audience and the usual audience for shows on The CW?

I gave up on the Arrowverse shows when DC's Legends of Tomorrow put seats in the Lunar Module - I had been looking for an excuse to bail. I suspect that a network will always interfere to protect its investment and to attempt to maximise its audience. As an oldie foreigner, my opinions count not one jot.

13. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Casting Ages:
    Sheridan: Mid 30's to early 40's As he was a commander in the Minbari war, plus 10 years, something closer to 40 would be appropriate.
    Ivonava: Late 20s, Claudia was I believe 27 when it started, So that's 1 "young" casting.
    Garibaldi: over 30, was a ground pounder in the war, and that was 10 years ago, even if he was 18, he'd be approaching if not over 30.
    Franklin: He was a doctor in the war, so if you take into account the 10 years and doctor school, he'd be late 30's but could be much older if they want to cast that way.
    Lyta/Tallia,Lt. Corwin, Zach Allen, Lennier, Natoth, Vir: Early, mid 20's can be done, so more "Young CW" casting.
    Morden: mid 20's to whatever, no age range.
    Gkar, Londo: Both were ambassadors in the war, so add 10 years, looking at mid 30's to 40s at the youngest, but can go up to whatever.
    Deleen: Was in the war as a member of the grey counsel, so Mid-30's but Minbari age slowly, so can do late 20's early 30's and be okay.

Thats if he keeps the story similar to the original. seeing that its sill Babylon 5, the war, and time passage should be the same since it was built 10 years after the war.

I just hope they do a "Detail Up" on the VFX, like the Station, ships, fighters, instead of a "Re imagine" and do something completely different.

Commander Troi and jackoverfull like this.
  14. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Regarding Bester's age, Walter Koenig was in his late 50s to early 60s when he played the role, so someone in that age range or slightly younger would be fine.

15. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Barrowman would be a great Bester.

16. Asbo Zaprudder

Barrowman has been sacked as a judge on Dancing on Ice for allegedly getting his willy out and waving it about too often when filming Doctor Who and Torchwood. I don't know if this was a problem when he was filming Arrow but hopefully he's grown up by now. Possibly, he's too controversial to hire?

John Barrowman will not return to Dancing on Ice, ITV announces | Dancing on Ice | The Guardian

Of course, he would be ideal to play Londo Mollari but Barrowman only has the one penis.

17. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

QI recently had him on their panel.

18. Asbo Zaprudder

I don't know when that was recorded. I assume the BBC would judge it suitable for broadcast anyway as Barrowman's transgressions aren't perceived as being nearly as bad as those of Jimmy Savile and others. I agree but it'd be a liability to cast him in a major role. Casting him as an outwardly charming and charismatic yet shady character with a hidden agenda seems appropriate. Just make it part of his contract not to get his wang out as a giggle.

19. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Maybe, but the Minbari can destroy Earth whenever they feel like it, so what do they care about the Psi Corps being upset?

Earth no leverage over Minbar. Minbar is friendly to Earth if and when they choose to be. They can do whatever they believe is right without consequence.

20. Asbo Zaprudder

I get the impression the Minbari are a bit like the Japanese in that they're not very happy about aliens living and working on their territory (Insert the appropriate meaning of alien in each case).