Babylon 5

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Kail, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

They really think so.

Commander Troi likes this.
  2. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

It's not just the Psi-Corps' political influence on Earth government and diplomatic tensions between Earth and Minbar, but also the political capital of Delenn inside the Minbari society. She had already spent a lot of political capital against the Warrior Caste in ending the war, attaining the ambassadorship on B5, and she also had to fight in keeping preparations for the prophecised Shadow War going. She may have had enough political power to grant a single individual alien residency on Minbar, but not a whole lot more, especially once she was off the Grey Council and defying orders by going through the Chrysalis.

The show made it quite clear that she became more and more controversial inside Minbari society, and the influence of the Warriors growing accordingly, ultimately leading to the Minbari Civil War, at which end it was revealed that Minbari were related to mankind through Sinclair/Valen, so they probably didn't want any big confrontations with their own "cousins".

During the Earth Civil War, it was probably hard enough to get EA Telepath refugees out off EA territory to begin with, not to mention to a Minbar still reeling from its own civil war.

And once the Earth Civil War was over, Delenn needed to let mankind come to terms. Remember that humans had gotten quite a steady feed of anti-alien propaganda for several years, and she obviously didn't want to stir these resentments up again.

Delenn is very much a big-picture politician, this much showed at several points in the show, not the least her keeping the Shadow's influence on the Centauri a secret, resulting in the deaths of countless Narn. Yes, she could help one human telepath easy enough, but the price of helping too many Earth telepaths was too high.

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're really giving me the vapors.

4. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I don't think that'll happen considering the recent stuff coming out about him and his unprofessionalism / sexual assault.

5. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Yeah, plopping your penis out onto a fellow actor's shoulder (allegedly) is highly questionable behaviour even if one defines it as a prank rather than sexual predation. I don't know the sordid details of what was going on behind the scenes at Doctor Who when RTD was last in control but it seemed to piss Eccleston off.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  6. Mr. Adventure

With trial by cancel all sentences are life sentences.

7. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Yeah, seems like there should be a Statute of Limitations for some relatively minor things. But I'm afraid exposing yourself in any way is no longer borderline.

8. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

With a new version o the show on the way I will list my dream cast but also one I think is kind of realistic in maybe being hired so Brad Pitt won't be Sheridan.

Sinclair=Scott Bakula
    Sheridan=Ryan Guzman
    Garibaldi=Bill Burr
    Dr Franklin=Michael Mando
    Ivanova=Clea DuVall
    Delenn=Alexa Davalos
    Londo=Victor Garber
    G'Kar=Gina Torres
    Vir=Mary Wiseman
    Lennier=Alexander Calvert

9. Asbo Zaprudder

Nah, most of them are too old for The CW as well as their ages not fitting the timeline.

FanST and Kraig like this.
  10. Kraig

Kraig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd expect them to take some of the actors from shows that are finished with production or not renewed for the CW. I could see them signing some of the cast of Supergirl or The Outpost to B-5 roles after their final season.

11. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think this is going to be a typical CW show. Like with Superman and Lois I think their is a HBO connection and they are going to be trying to broaden their scope in order to bring in new fans. Not sure its smart these days to put all your eggs in just one basket, especially the teen market that is probably more interested in social media and Tick Tok than tv shows.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, they seem to be at least somewhat moving away from their old teen/twenty-something image. We've got Walker, Wellington Paranormal, and Superman & Lois, none of which really fit that image.Yes, S&L does have the teen stuff with Jordan and Johnathan, but that's just one part of the show, with as much attention being given to the adult characters and their issues. OK I'm slow, I just now realized that Clark's sons are named after his two fathers.

13. Chilli

Chilli Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The thing about John Barrowman however is that this behavior has been going on for decades, he was repeatedly reprimanded for it (already back in the Torchwood days), but he can't seem to break the habit, and is utterly unrepentant - he's just being obnoxiously defensive about the whole matter. It's neither easy nor reasonable to forgive somebody for something they haven't stopped doing and show no regret over.

But be that all as it may, anyone with that kind of name recognition is going to be outside of the price range of the show.

14. Mr. Adventure

^ That reads differently than I've seen where he was reprimanded around 2008, apologized at the time and hadn't been accused since. Where are you hearing differently?

If Arrow could afford him I would think B5 maybe could, especially now...

dupersuper likes this.
  15. Asbo Zaprudder

Sci, Commander Troi and Relayer1 like this.
  16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Barrowman has both apologised and stated that he has changed his behaviour, and I have no reason to doubt his sincerity.

Whether that is enough appears to be a personal thing. Professionally I don't think we've got much evidence of how it will go for him.

17. Asbo Zaprudder

I've never been a fan of his but he is effective as an actor in certain roles. I suspect most people think he's a silly arse but wouldn't necessarily want to see him excluded from working provided he has stopped the inappropriate behaviour. He does have a charisma and charm that allowed him to get away with it for years and I don't know that any fellow actors have refused to work with him or complained publicly. I suspect Chris Eccleston wouldn't be keen to work with him again though based on Clarke's anecdote.

Doctor Who's John Barrowman Issues Apology After Flashing Allegations Resurface Doctor Who's John Barrowman Issues Apology After Flashing Allegations Resurface | Cinemablend

18. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'd love to see Torchwood back, and to see Jack occasionally in Who. I do appreciate that his colleagues would have to be comfortable working with him though, and his continued good behaviour would be a prerequisite.

From that quote I'd not take away that Chris was any more than mildly annoyed, if that. It rather depends on how he said it, and it was a second hand quote then.

19. Asbo Zaprudder

...and perhaps from a not very reliable source, who might be trying to deflect attention or somehow lessen guilty feelings about his own misdeeds in his own mind. Eccleston doesn't seem to have been very happy about the way things were being run but I don't know who specifically he was holding responsible or what exactly annoyed him. I know I wouldn't like it if a co-worker thought it a huge jape to play pranks on people with his penis - that's very unsavoury. I'd be straight on to HR.

20. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure Eccleston was 'upset' with RTD, Gardner and Tranter. The three people just put back in charge of the show. I don't think he'll be guesting anytime soon.

Anyhow, we're well off topic !