Spoilers Babylon 5 Reboot

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by herofhyrule, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Dee1891

Dee1891 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I must confess that I never saw the need of a reboot of "Babylon 5". But if it's going to happen, I can only hope that it proves to be just as good in its own way as the original series.

Commander Troi and RedAlert like this.
  2. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

This comment is :censored:

It also reinforces what I said before: you have absolutely no understanding of stories and storytelling.

3. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

No, it's really just you who's got this wrong.

B5 has been dormant for fifteen years. The actors have not worked on B5 for one and a half decades. Now, at the same time as this reboot is being developed, there is some supposedly animated project featuring the original cast to voice their characters in the works, so right there, your argument is contradicted.

And for another thing, the actors don't care as much about their legacy in one particular role, as they care for opportunities for work. You think JMS would work on a reboot without already considering guest characters fitting the actors from the original show? He's on good terms with most of them, there's loyalty there. Remember that scene where Sheridan dreamed of Kosh in the form of his father? The only way the reboot's Sheridan's father would be played by anybody other than Bruce Boxleitner would be if he already played another character on that show.

Oh, and yes, JMS has definitely changed since the run of the original show, and the reboot would reflect that. Which is the whole point. The only reason for a B5 reboot is if it is different than the one we already got.

4. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

No, you don't understand. I'm not saying getting more work results in legacy, I'm saying the actors will care more about getting more work than about their "legacy", and that's if they even consider a reboot a threat to their legacy, something I highly doubt. They usually don't take themselves that serious.

In reality, they will probably see it as strengthening their legacy. As it stands, B5 is a dead franchise, the last production being The Lost Tales from 2007. It is utterly irrelevant to pop culture, and there won't be a wave of new fans without new content. Not a lot of young people watch TV shows from the 1990s, certainly not space operas with outdated CGI and an even more outdated TV show look.
    A reboot is a chance of bringing attention to the original show, and thus to the work of the original cast. It is a chance for a wave of new fans who come to appreciate the actors' work.

With a reboot, the franchise and the original cast have nothing to lose, but a lot to gain.

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

What's being rewritten? The originals will remain even with reboots or whatever happens. I don't understand this attitude at all because not a single thing is being taken away from the original.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

No matter the quality of the reboot, it is absolutely a good thing for the franchise. Even if it sucks, it will still be bringing the name Babylon 5 back into the public consciousness and raise awareness for the original.
    No matter who else plays potential new versions of the characters, it won't change the fact that the original cast were the ones who originated the roles.
    The same way every actor who has played Bond since Sean Connery has been compared to him, whoever plays Sheriden or Sinclair will be compared to Bruce Boxleitner or Michael O'Hare. Even if we get 20 different Sheridens and Sinclairs, nothing will change the fact that Boxleitner and O'Hare were the first, and they will be the first names mentioned any time a new actor is cast in the roles. New actors will not hurt or rewrite their legacy, it will strengthen it, because it will keep the character around, and as long as the characters are around, then it will keep their memory around.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why the hell would they do that?

People didn't start hating the original BSG because of nuBSG, did they? You just pick whichever version you like and watch that. Same story here.

If B5 is rebooted, and you don't like it, there's always the original. It's win-win.

8. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

So you know better than the man who created and wrote most of it?

Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

9. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

10. caveat_imperator

caveat_imperator Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Yes it does.

11. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

In fact, that's exactly how the world works - otherwise, you wouldn't have an issue with what "the world" is doing in this instance.

12. RedAlert

RedAlert Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Do we need a reboot? I dont think so. There are things that we dont need to touch or change.
    A sequel to B5 could be great.
    Remains of the station could be found on the planet below and ancient mysteries could reborn again....

But for me, there is no way to make B5 better than what we got years ago.

13. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course not. We don't need media.

Not better. Just different. A reboot allows a different approach than the last. So, why not? The original will still be great and the reboot will offer something different to explore.

14. TheForge

TheForge Lieutenant Red Shirt

I would love this so much.

15. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nuh uh

16. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

you mean whether JMS will keep to his line (used to be in the FAQ on the lurker's guide website) - "there will be no Babylon 6".

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  17. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Why does he not start with Babylon 1, then go from there, Babylon 1 A, then Babylon 2 B, then Babylon 3......destruct destruct destruct! :lol:

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  18. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

That probably seemed a lot more clever to him when he was planning a sequel series set on Babylon 4.

Saul and Ryan Thomas Riddle like this.
  19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Speaking of the Babylon stations, I always thought it was kind of funny that Babylons 2 and 3 were supposed to be orange and yellow, respectively. Having these massive space stations in ORANGE and YELLOW...would have looked rather amusing. :lol:

(Yes, I know we never actually got to SEE these stations, but JMS once said that all five of them were color coded in the order of the spectrum: Babylon 1 - what little we saw of it, anyway - was red, 4 was green, and 5 was blue, so therefore 2 and 3 must have been orange and yellow.)

Markonian likes this.
  20. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

There's been fan art of the earlier Babylon stations, extrapolating the half-finished Babylon Station we saw, and guessing about what B2 and B3 might've looked like. This one is a good example.