Ash vs Evil Dead (new tv series)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by kitik, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

We see Ash really didn't fall far from the tree with Brock, did he. :)

Pablo's mustache poking out of Kelly's wound is one of those things you just can't unsee.

Is it just me or is the lighting on this series odd? It's like there's a light source from above often times when there shouldn't be and it often looks like a stage production more than a TV show.

Apparently it's Kaya the evil sorceress that Dalton warned about in episode two. Don't worry, I don't remember it either, but that's what I read.

2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Hey, another surprise return of the Six-Million Dollar Man. I wonder if he'll keep popping up. That was a hilarious twist on the It's A Wonderful Life trope, with dad trying to show Ash he really cares by revealing that he accidentally killed a guy and had him boarded up in the basement for six years. Except the guy was really trying to help Ash and wasn't even dead. :rommie:

The attack by demonic Pablo was totally nuts, especially little Pablo face on Kelly's leg. So is she infected by evil now, too? Will she become like Pablo? Can Pablo be saved?

I guess that Knight of Sumeria guy is really dead. I thought he was going to be a new regular, like Brandy. Maybe more Knights will show up. Presumably they're going to do something with that idea.

The lighting is definitely unnatural. It looks kind of like the coloring in an EC Comic.

3. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

My guess is the lightning is a homage to the style/cheap nature of the movies, they also use some odd camera tricks and moves that have been out of fashion for nearly 30 years.

4. RJDiogenes

Yeah, especially during Pablo's attack on the trailer. That was hilarious. :rommie:

5. Mr. Adventure

I watched tonight's episode early On Demand and it is packed. I thought they did a good job juggling the various storylines and bringing the Evil Dead wacky. I think they managed to up the "that's just wrong" levels yet again, lol. I'd say this was definitely an "A" episode.

I think there was a bit of a tribute to an early Sam Raimi film Crimewave with one element that Ash actually managed to avoid.

6. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was a really good episode!

The fight between Ash and the demon baby was very extreme.

The stuff with Pablo in the underworld was so cool! And Kelly kissed him!? Not expecting that.

Brandy finally believes. :techman:

7. RJDiogenes

That was definitely the best episode of the season so far. The fight with the demon baby and the baby-animated corpse was totally off the wall-- I love the baby's little chainsaw hand-- and it was kind of touching how Ash wanted to bring it back alive-ish to prove to Brandy that he's not completely demented.

And Pablo is now Brujo Supreme and finally free of all the evil tattoos. I loved the sequence in the in-between place with his uncle and the masked woman-- if they ever explained who she actually is, I missed it. But I can't wait to see the new Pablo in action. And after Kelly was so intent on not hurting or killing him while he was possessed by evil, we find out that she does have feelings for him, after all. About time!

And Brandy drove the getaway car for Ash. :rommie:

Nothing new on the Knights of Sumeria. Presumably a new one will show up soon, unless what we've seen so far is just a teaser for next season.

8. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After Ash had blown away the pull string duck toy and the toddler had decapitated the lady, I half expected Ruby's child to walk into view pulling the severed head on a cord.

9. Mr. Adventure

No way, nothing that wacky could happen on this show...

10. Redfern

"You're mocking me, aren't you?" - Buzz Lightyear :nyah:

Mr. Adventure likes this.
  11. RJDiogenes

Now the severed head walking on little duck feet-- that would have been cool. :rommie:

12. Janeway’s Girl

Kelly is now possessed which is a good thing because for a second I thought she was actually dead.

13. RJDiogenes

She seemed actually dead to me. :( It looks like that other demoness has just animated her corpse. But then Pablo seemed dead for a while, too. I don't think they would actually really kill Kelly permanently. Unless the actress wants to leave, and Brandy is her replacement....

And finally we get some action on the Knights of Sumeria front. At least one of them survived. Hopefully she'll get to stick around a while, too.

14. Mr. Adventure

Biggest "oh, that's just wrong" moment this week: unfrosted pop-tarts (shudder...).

The series has developed a kind of odd attitude to killing off its protagonists. I understand horror works better if you feel no one is safe but at the same time I personally find it's better if their fates are meaningful. I feel sometimes the series at times is too cavalier about dispatching people where even the other characters rarely bat an eye making it hard to share a visceral response. "Oh, Pablo died, oh well." "Oh, Kelly died, oh well." Maybe it's because everyone has a chance of coming back but it's bugged me at times. I think sometimes the people behind the scenes have a very specific idea of what is "Evil Dead" and what is not and aren't comfortable when it moves against that even if it's organic or natural. I think that's part of the schism they had with the last showrunner.

15. Redfern

Whereas I'm the opposite, the frosting upon toaster pastries feels like a thin layer of polystyrene in my mouth. I prefer the unfrosted. Then again, when it comes to toaster items, I'd much rather have a flaky layered strudel. The pastries have gotten to the point that the "fruit filling" is little more than a thin "airbrushing" of flavored gelatin.

16. RJDiogenes

Frosted Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop Tarts used to be one of my favorite snacks, until they changed the recipe. Then the unfrosted variety were closer to the original. Then they changed things again and I can't eat them at all.

17. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I can’t get enough of this show. I just wish it was longer.

Janeway’s Girl likes this.
  18. RJDiogenes

Yeah, every episode seems to end just as it's getting started.

19. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Poor Ruby. All that planning down the drain. She didnt take into account love for a parent.
    I don’t see how Ash is going to get away with this.

20. Janeway’s Girl

Even though the evils were different, it reminded me of the Buffy prom episode.