Ash vs Evil Dead (new tv series)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by kitik, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ for me it will probably always be Carrie

Always remember:

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Especially since the number of meddling kids in town has been greatly reduced.

3. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

So... both Kelly and Brandy were killed with the dagger and ended up in some shadow world. And Kelly figured out a way to communicate with Pablo, at least briefly, so it seems likely that both will be back. But what is the shadowy figure that Brandy saw and that Kelly said is "back?"

I'm glad they didn't drag out the Evil Plot plot very long. Ash has had way too many evil twins. :rommie:

But we didn't see very much of the last remaining Knight of Sumeria. And she got left alone in the basement. Hopefully we'll see more of her next week.

4. OCD Geek

OCD Geek Captain Captain

Okay, I know Evil Dead and Xena officially take place in the same universe thanks to the final season Hercules episode “City of the Dead”, which features the Necronomicon and someone reading “Klaatu verada nikto” from it, as well as snippets of Joseph LoDuca’s Army of Darkness score.

So, clearly everyone in the Not-Upside Down getting dragged to hell looked very much visually like a certain Raimi/Tapert joint that’s been rumored for years to take place in the Evil Dead universe as well.

Is an Evil Dead/Xena/Drag Me to Hell shared universe canon now? And can someone with way more power and pull (and less laziness) than myself ask the Powers That Be this?

5. RJDiogenes

^^ I'm not familiar with any of that enough to know.

Well, this is about as serious as we've ever seen Ash and the show get-- as goofy as he is and as irreverent and sloppy as he's always been about fighting evil, he loves Kelly and Brandy enough to kill himself to save them. Unfortunately, the plan didn't work with Kelly, presumably because somebody is currently occupying her body. And it's a good thing that returning from the Rift Dimension automatically heals your wounds, otherwise it would have been a short-lived victory (but why didn't Ash's hand heal, I wonder?).

And I wonder what's going to become of that last Knight of Sumeria? It doesn't look good for her. :(

6. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, was that Hell or a form of Hell? It looked like an abandoned Elk Grove. The gang’s own personal Hell?

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a recycle bin.

8. OCD Geek

OCD Geek Captain Captain

They said that it was some sort of limbo between our world and hell where anyone killed by a deadite, demon or other forces (or objects like the dagger) of darkness ends up. Ultimately, they are eventually dragged to hell from there.

9. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, they don't. The Necronomicon in Hercules was just a little easter egg. Angel included a reference to Alien and the Millennium Falcon showed up in Star Trek. None of that means they're in the same universe.

10. OCD Geek

OCD Geek Captain Captain

That's different, though. Angel, Alien, Star Wars and Star Trek are all disparate projects made by different people. Evil Dead, Xena and Drag Me to Hell are all Sam Raimi/Rob Tapert joints. In my opinion, it's a non-canon easter egg if someone else does it and it's not acknowledged as Word of God by the original creator of project being referenced. It's potentially canon, though, if a creator is referencing their own work.

11. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As soon as I saw that paint can shaker, I knew what I wanted to happen; I just wondered if it would be used that way. I was not disappointed!

Though the best use of a paint can shaker has to go to "The Simpsons" when Bart used one to "booby trap" Homer's can of beer. I think what really "sold" it was the can continuing to vibrate as Bart placed it in the fridge and later when Homer retrieved it.

12. RJDiogenes

Ah, yes, the paint can shaker. Pablo is really living up to Ash's tradition of weird Deadite kills. :rommie:

13. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Ash not checking that he brought the right body down to the cellar. That's so him. :)

14. Mr. Adventure

I was thinking that it seems they've avoided referencing Army of Darkness directly but Ash's personality is very much his AoD self. He didn't really get the ridiculous macho swagger and really asking for some of what he gets until he snapped in Army of Darkness.

15. thribs

It’s only in season one that they couldn’t refer to Army if Darkness due to copyright issues. From season 2 onwards they got the rights and there have been a few references since then.

OCD Geek likes this.
  16. Mr. Adventure

I've heard that but I'm not so sure. I'm curious what examples you have of direct references to it.

17. thribs

All the references to Ash being the savior are one. Plus they show clips from the movie in season 3.

Mr. Adventure and OCD Geek like this.
  18. Mr. Adventure

Thanks, I guess I hadn't noticed or had forgotten about the clips if that's the case. I didn't really connect the savior thing and chosen one stuff specifically with that movie but makes sense. I prob should do a rewatch of that one again.

19. RJDiogenes

I never saw Army of Darkness, but I assumed that was a clip from the movie when Ash said something like, "I've had experience with rifts before."

20. thribs

You’ve never seen the movie? How are you following the highly cerebral storyline?