animated short treks coming spring 2019

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by pst, Jan 8, 2019.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think we're well past the "will they?" and at the point of "how long until?":lol:
    Just enjoy the ride as best you can until the inevitable in 2 or 3 years' time.

BillJ likes this.
  2. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Yeeeeaaaahhhh... I'm not going to lie. Seeing everything Tim Thomason laid out, I think this is too much too.

Two live-action series (since the seasons are so short) plus the Shorts would work. Maybe an animated series for children to get the next generation of Trekkies interested. But all of this? This is overkill.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

CBS's vision for Star Trek: More is more, and too much is never enough.

4. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

This worries me too. But, the market is used to saturation (comic book stuff, anyone?)...so it might be ok.

I'm not a huge fan of animated anything...so most of this news is not particularly exciting to me. Not to say I won't watch it...but it's certainly not going to fire me up in any way.

I'm also not sure about anything right now other than Discovery, the Picard series, and the animated Lower Decks. Those are the only official series that have been announced that I have any faith will actually be developed. Part of me thinks the other stuff they wing out there is either just ideas that they are testing the waters on, or potentially limited mini-series stuff that isn't meant to be ongoing.

Time will certainly tell.....,

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Picard show having to do with the fallout over the destruction of Romulus really isn't surprising at all. I think most of us already assumed as such, anyway.

:wtf: What would you rather them do?

Imagine a show with a franchise character whos an American diplomat who has close ties/relations with the UK in a series set a few years after London is nuked about him solving crimes in Napa whilst picking grapes.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It isn't a few years, it is twenty years. The show could be spectacular, but I have a hard time seeing Trek being able to handle a regular series based on politics. I think lots of folks will fall to the wayside quickly once the allure of Stewart wears off.

And I would rather have seen archeologist Picard solving some kind of mystery vs. Romulan politics.

7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

12 years.

The Supernova was 2387

8. BillJ

The show is supposed to take place in 2399. Stewart said twenty years.

9. Tuskin38

After Nemesis, not the Supernova. Which is what they were getting at.

10. CorporalClegg

Keep in mind too, that the person blamed for the "bombing" is also a friend of the MC and the MC has a very unique and intimate relationship with his father.

11. BillJ

I'm still not seeing the allure in a Trek setting.

12. CorporalClegg

Now if we can get Sarah Shahi as canon/live-action Jarok, my life will be complete.

:shrug: Dunno what to tell ya.

13. Tuskin38

It's something we've never seen before.

14. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Philip Guyott likes this.
  15. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

CBS made it pretty clear they wanted something star trek on all year round. even with discovery season 2, more short treks, and the picard series hitting some time this year, they're nowhere near their goal. saturation is a long way off.

16. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Maybe. 13 episodes x 4 series = 52 episodes. That would pad out the year. In the '90s, it was 52 episodes but overlapping so there was still a summer hiatus. I wonder what watching every week without a hiatus would be like?

But, then again, I'm also a videographer and high school sports are a big part of it. Fall, winter, and spring each have different sports. Maybe that's the way to view it. Every series is like a different sports season. One show is like soccer season. Another show is like hockey season. Another show is like lacrosse season.

Greg Cox, Tim Thomason and pst like this.
  17. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It won't all "stick". S.J. Clarkson's film is gone and it's likely that the Khan series will never happen. Toss in one of the two animated spinoffs and a couple others and you whittle down the list (which I inflated anyway by combining full series and mini-series and a film and a couple planned shorts).

It looks like oversaturation, but is probably way healthier and way more streamlined than it appears. We have one season about to air, and if it fails miserably, then all the rest of that may go away this time next month.

I'm hoping that's not the case, and would eagerly watch every single one of those 11 pieces of upcoming programming I mentioned. If all of it does happen, and continues to accelerate, we might end up doubling all of our canon Star Trek media within ten years.

18. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

also, even if CBS achieved its goal, it's not reasonable to imagine there would be absolutely no hiatus between seasons and series. there would likely be off years for some shows, some may not even be intended to run longer than a season or two.

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

20. Tuskin38

Why not? The show takes place 12 years after the Nova. They can still do novels about it.

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.