Spoilers AHSOKA series [Spoiler Discussion]

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Reverend, Aug 8, 2023.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Points for hyperbole and additional points for proving my point that this is deliberately missing the point.

Commander Troi likes this.
  2. Set Harth

Set Harth Admiral Admiral

Among other things, like there not being Jedi schools or Jedi textbooks. I wonder if that aged well.
    Magnetism flows through me but it don't make me Magneto.

3. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

There may be a massive number of Jedi and non-Jedi Force users, but there are only a few that can break through Darth Vader's emotional armor to get to Anakin Skywalker. While Obi-wan and Ahsoka managed to break his actual armor, they didn't fully break through the emotional baggage that is Anakin Skywalker. Padme would have been one of the few who could have done so had Anakin not been so deep on Mustafar when Obi-wan appeared. Yoda might have been able to get through to young Skywalker, but the old Jedi was not good at instructing those feeling Anakin had to an enlightened purpose.

And just killing Darth Vader does not solve the problem. Palpatine always has backup plans. Anakin turning on him was not part of the plan, but Palpatine still had a backup plan. That delayed Palpartine's death, but still resulted in his death once he announced himself to the Galaxy again, because the Galaxy was tired of his brand of crap, so once they had a route to him, they ALL came to kill him.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The way I understand it with people Jedi and people like them is that's it's not that they are the only ones who can use The Force, it's that they are the strongest and the best.
    Just look at Sabine vs Luke, Sabine could barely move a mug for ages, but within days or hours of learning The Force he was a thing, he guiding misses with it.
    And when the Jedi were out picking up kids who were potential Jedi, it wasn't that they were the only who could use The Force, it was that they were exceptionally strong in it.

5. Ithekro

Some Force users are good at some things but not all things. Sabine seems to be good at stuff when she believes she can do it and doesn't think about it. Luke is good at things once he knows about them and stops thinking it is impossible. Ray gets good at things when she learns about them, since she already believes.

Commander Troi likes this.
  6. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

The latest episode of Ty Franck & Wes Chatham's podcast covers Wes's experience as Enoch on 'Ahsoka', as well as Ty's much less enjoyable experience writing a (never published) Star Wars novel for pre-Disney LF publishing.

Interesting insights on both counts. Everything Ty says about the state of the publishing side at that time makes a lot of the more baffling creative decisions suddenly make a lot more sense. "Too many cooks in the kitchen" sounds like an understatement, and the royalty situation sounds diabolical.

As for Wes's side of things; it seems to pretty much in line with what other cast member have said (even adjusting for the usual level of PR BS) that it was a very friendly set to work on and nothing but praise for Filloni.

I'd argue that not even Padme could have gotten though to him, had she survived to this point. She'd still just be something he'd want to posses again.
    The advantage Luke has over Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, and Padme is that he has that same level of emotional connection to Anakin as they do, but none of the history and baggage. Vader maye not hate her the way he hates Obi-Wan, or feel a detached coldness as he seems to with Ahsoka, but she would still inspire his very worst impulses, making any such attempt counterproductive.

As a side note (thanks to the switched at birth thread I've been giving this some thought) I'd also add that if circumstances were different; Leia could have gotten though to him too. Had she been that one trained by Yoda, discovered and fixated on by Vader, and brought before the Emperor; I think she would also have cast aside her lightsaber as Luke did, as that's the crucial element to all of this. It's not just about an emotional connection, but it's also that selfless act of a Jedi to inspire that last fragment of a flickering ember that's still Anakin Skywalker to return. To see the once and future Jedi reflected in the eyes of his child.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2023
    David cgc and Commander Troi like this.
  7. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

It was published, he was just saying that their original premise was rejected. As Ty mentions, it has the dubious distinction of being the last EU novel released (if only they'd known, maybe they could've gotten away with the genocidal droid terrorists idea).

I've seen similar discussions over in TrekLit from the authors talking about the tie-in situation, though their experience was a little different. They were alway entitled to royalties, but at a smaller percentage, since the studio owning the parent property always took a cut, so as Ty said, there was a low chance of actually earning out your advance (IIRC, they've said the advances are generally a bit bigger than they would be for an equivalent original novel to make up for the loss of the eventual passive income). It's not all bad, there are benefits, though ones that don't necessarily apply when you're already a bestselling author with an original IP that's being exploited with a television adaptation, tabletop boardgame, video game, and other merchandise and spin-offs (there's a built-in audience for tie-ins so its easier to begin developing a reputation that can boost the profile of your other books, and there's the prospect of regular work, or as regular as it gets in fiction-writing).

I'm not surprised if things were worse for Star Wars novelists, though. This the same franchise (albeit post-Disney) that argued that a corporate takeover meant that, while they could continue publish novels commissioned before the merger, they no longer had to pay the authors royalties for them.

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I clearly misunderstood that. Mostly though because I don't think I've ever seen or heard of that book, and for some reason I'd gotten it into my head somewhere that the 'Kenobi' novel was the last one under the wire (which looking at the dates now, isn't even close.)

As for the publishing situation; I'd be curious to know what the situation is now given how they seem to stick to the same group of authors over and over, and have been treating the High Republic initiative almost like a TV show with a writer's room. Maybe the incentive for those authors now isn't higher royalties, but the chance of significantly more multi-book deals. Also since they instituted the Story Group, I feel like they've gotten a better handle on managing the creative side so it's not quite as restrictive.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Any idea when we should be getting the behind the scenes special for this? Is there a set time frame for when they usually come out after the season is over?

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

If it's anything like the other Star Wars shows, it's going to be a month or two after the finale. Which is really annoying, especially considering Marvel: Assembled episodes usually (but not always) come out one or two weeks after the finales.

11. Set Harth

Set Harth Admiral Admiral

It's already nearly three months after the finale.

12. Ithekro

They may have had a delay as the actors and such wouldn't have been available for interviews or voice overs during the strikes.

13. fireproof78

Or it now costs more.

14. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

That's the likeliest explanation. If that's the case, I'm fine with waiting.

JD likes this.
  15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah, that would make sense.

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

17. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Arguably The Best Poster Named cooleddie Moderator

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    My unaltered clone body is ready.

18. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I've honestly never been in any doubt that season 2 was happening ever since some of the crew gifts for season 1 popped up on ebay last year. Some literally had "Ahsoka; Season 1" plastered all over them. Bit of a giveaway. Still it's nice to get an official confirmation, even if it seems a little late.

fireproof78 likes this.
  19. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

20. fireproof78