Agents of Shield - Season 4

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by MarsWeeps, Mar 5, 2016.

1. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

What does that mean for Coulson/Gregg? What's his role going to be if he's not the Director of Shield anymore?

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

We knew at the end of season 3 that Coulson wasn't going to be the director anymore. I'm more interested in the identity of the new director. A character with that much history with Marvel that hasn't been tapped yet? Speculation?

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Rick Stoner seems like a possible candidate. In the comics he was Fury's predecessor who fought beside him in WWII, so they could do something similar.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

In one of the interviews I read Clark Gregg make a comment about Mack needing a new partner, so with that and the finale it sounds like he's a field agent and Mack's new partner.

5. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I wonder if he's US Agent?

6. Turtletrekker

U.S. Agent only goes back to the late eighties. This character supposedly goes all the way back to the forties.

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I've no idea who Rick Stoner is. Must be a more recent addition to the mythos.
    Guy I do know: Captain Simon Savage, leader of the Leatherneck Raiders.

8. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I was also thinking about William Burnside for some reason. He was Captain America in the late 40s.

9. Nerys Myk

He's was also bugfuck crazy. He's usually called the 50's Cap,
    William Naslund and Jeff Mace were the Captain Americas of the late 40's. Perhaps you were thinking of the former?

10. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

That's one of the reasons I thought of him. Part of me wonders if the new Director is meant to be a permanent addition.

11. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It just says "his roots go back to the 1940s". Different ways to interpret that.

It could simply be a brand new character who's related to someone from WW2. Dum Dum's son or something like that.

Or it might actually be a comic character from back then. But if they did that, it wouldn't mean much of anything to viewers. You'd think they'd want a connection that tv viewers could recognize. (Not that we haven't seen obscure characters and namedrops on AOS in the past.)

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

According to the wiki he goes back to '65.

13. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I'm wondering if we see any struggle or conflict regarding this change in leadership or will we pick it back up as already occurred.

I found the flash forward at the end of the season very interesting, but I hope it's just a glimpse and not that we've skipped many months of events. I hope they don't catch up to that point in time until about 5 to 10 episodes in.

14. Nerys Myk

15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Ah. Well that doesn't preclude him as a possibility. It's still technically a character that dates back to the 40's in-universe and it's not like they've never put their own spin on a character before, or just taken a name and completely done their own thing with it.

I just had a quick look at all the former SHIELD directors listed on the wiki and that name seemed to jump out. Most of the others are either already established characters and/or women (Stark, Maria Hill, Daisy Johnson, Dum Dum Dugen, Sharon Carter, Steve Rogers, Carol Danvers, Thunderbolt Ross etc.)

There was also a guy called "George Washington Bridge" IIRC, but that sounded a bit too silly (though I suppose it could be a nickname based on his initials) not much else about him stood out though. Norman Osborne was on there too, but I don't think I need to point out why that's not very likely in this case.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  16. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Depending on how one "counts" the Ghost Riders, cause Noble Kale, would be the first but I suspect most people mean alter ego in a starring title as Ghost Rider as the starting point at #1. Robbie would be the 4th Ghost Rider in a starring solo series role. I liked Alejandra and felt the fandom abandon the title too soon. Also that Marvel mismanaged the Circle of Four crossover by not focusing it through her title vs Venom's as the main foe was Blackheart! Those sales would've buoyed the title longer. Allowing for more character development even if it was just one more arc(cause titles rarely get to 20 these days anyway at Marvel). But...I digress

1. Johnny Blaze
    2. Danny Ketch
    3. Alejandra Jones
    4. Robbie Reyes

17. Turtletrekker

18. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

19. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

Don't forget Carter Slade, the original Ghost Rider, on a horse in the old west.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, I'm surprised to see it reveal so many details.
    It sounds like their relationship with the Director will be a bit antagonistic.
    The way that talks about Daisy, almost makes it sound like she might nothav really gone rogue, but rather that that is just what people think. Makes me wonder if she's on some kind of secret mission for Coulson.
    No new additions in the cast list, so it sounds like Jason O'Mara as the Director, Gabriel Luna as Robbie Reyes/Ghost Rider, and John Hannah as Dr. Radcliffe will just be recurring guest stars. I had been expecting at least one of them to be a regular.