Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Not just national security. Planetary security. Seriously, guys, you don't ever wanna find out how scary this gets."

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm not saying they wouldn't have had questions. I'm saying that she'd established enough authority over them that they would've been afraid to defy her no matter how bizarre her requests were. That's how people in authority get away with all sorts of crazy and immoral stuff: because most people are afraid to challenge authority.

3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

If they have trouble getting Jackson back, maybe they can tie it in with some product endorsement. "I can't tell you what we did to you or why we did it...but I can tell you that we paid for it with this Capital One card!"

4. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly. And it's not that she was in authority. She wasn't! It was a straight up con. They fell for a con artist.

5. DEWLine

What was it I remember reading about hackers and social engineering skills?

It's a bit of a stereotype, but there's been coverage that reaches to truth.

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I'm sure we'll find out more. My hope is Fury had personal reasons (some kind of guilt about getting him killed). It's entirely possible they did it because they wanted to see if they could, though.

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

This occurred to me, too.

Which incidentally raises another question I have: Why did Coulson do a Houdini out of the back of the doctor's car? That's the sort of thing someone does when they are angry. Did something come back to Coulson?

Anyway, I'd be mad if I were just a guinea pig!

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

What Phil should be mad about is looking at his bank balance and seeing all the money he spent in Tahiti, which S.H.I.E.L.D's forensic accountants invented to create the complete illusion of his fauxcation.

9. Christopher

I'm not sure what stereotype you mean, but my understanding is that real hacking is less about typing really fast on keyboards and more about conning people into giving you their passwords or letting you into the building containing the servers, or something. So it's often more about being a con artist than a programmer. Which is pretty much what we got here.

It belatedly occurred to me that Skye's car-crash gambit to get into the guy's house was really a stealth commercial for OnStar and its accident response services. But it worked in the context of the story, so it didn't feel like a product placement. Which is the best way to do a product placement.

10. DEWLine

Best way for an ad to be done. Subtle. Doesn't make the customer look like they're headed for mental health/addiction wards.

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

No it's definitely about typing real fast.
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ[/yt]

12. Christopher

^Key word, "real."

13. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Well, now we know part of what was done to Coulson-- and, more importantly, he knows. But we still don't know how Fury "moved Heaven and Earth" to resurrect him. I wonder if that phrase implies using Asgardian technology. And we still don't know why. I like the idea that he was saved because of his good character; it would be nice if the thing that makes a character vital and irreplaceable is their integrity, rather than them just being the Chosen One or something.

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

"moved heaven and earth" is a figure of speech.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I think Fury made a deal with supernatural/mystical forces to ressurect him, and Dr Book was brought in after that happened so he doesn't know about it.

BTW, was that stock footage of Fury watching over dead Coulson or was that newly filmed?

16. Myko

Myko Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Writers sometimes use figures of speech as hints for a more literal interpretation. Book also said it was "ungodly". We'll have to wait and see.

17. DEWLine

18. Christopher

It reminded me of the scene in The Avengers where Fury was crouching over the dying Coulson. It could've been from there.

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Watched it on my DVR, very good episode. The reveal with what happened in "Tahiti" was certainly an interesting one and horrifying. It does leave a lot of questions open, though, on how the resurrection itself took place particularly in reversing the brain damage from Coulson being dead for "days."

Great use of Skye in this episode and she got her lojack bracelet off.

Unless you're a My Little Pony cartoon.

20. Myko

Myko Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think so too. I actually thought it was a flashback to that moment, and not intended to be Fury looking over Coulson during surgery.