Poll After four seasons, what major change or changes would you make to Discovery?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by FederationHistorian, May 21, 2022.

?

What major change or changes would you make to Discovery?

1. Get rid of Burnham

16 vote(s)
    22.5%
  2. Get rid of one of the major characters (Saru, Stamets, Tilly, Culber)

11 vote(s)
    15.5%
  3. Get rid of Discovery and set it on a different ship

5 vote(s)
    7.0%
  4. Develop the middle deck crewmembers more

23 vote(s)
    32.4%
  5. Kill off the entire crew and start anew

10 vote(s)
    14.1%
  6. Have various crewmembers transfer and take on new assignments

10 vote(s)
    14.1%
  7. Somehow send the Discovery crew back to the 23rd century

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  8. Send the Discovery crew even further into the future

5 vote(s)
    7.0%
  9. Send the Discovery crew to a different quadrant/galaxy/timeline/universe

9 vote(s)
    12.7%
  10. Less threat of the season, more exploration/space politics/character centric stories

42 vote(s)
    59.2%
  11. Keep threat of the season format, but take a breather from it for a season

5 vote(s)
    7.0%
  12. Double down on threat of the season format

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  13. Bring in a legacy character (Archer, Janeway, The Doctor, Picard, Riker, Kirk, Dax, etc)

11 vote(s)
    15.5%
  14. Bring in an actor for a starring/guest role (Jeffrey Combs, a prominent sci-fi/fantasy name, etc)

10 vote(s)
    14.1%
  15. Visit legacy planets (Khitomer, Cardassia, Bajor, Rigel, Ferenginar, Risa, Betazed, Cestus III etc)

23 vote(s)
    32.4%
  16. Resurrect a villain (T’Kuvma, Leland, Osyraa)

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  17. Create a villain that lasts more than a season

12 vote(s)
    16.9%
  18. Explore the 32nd century more (Rebuilt Federation, Emerald Chain, technological & cultural advances)

36 vote(s)
    50.7%
  19. Bring back S1 Discovery (more conflict, more swearing, Lorca & Landry-like characters, family drama)

10 vote(s)
    14.1%
  20. Incorporate worldbuilding from PIC/LD/PRO/SNW

15 vote(s)
    21.1%
  21. More episodic and less serialized

29 vote(s)
    40.8%
  22. Mix of miniarcs and standalone episodes (ie. ENT S4)

31 vote(s)
    43.7%
  23. Less melodrama

30 vote(s)
    42.3%
  24. More comedy

15 vote(s)
    21.1%
  25. More captain/admiral/presidential/counsellor/middle deck/personal logs

5 vote(s)
    7.0%
  26. The show is awesome the way it is and doesn’t need anymore changes.

6 vote(s)
    8.5%
  27. Make a Discovery movie

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  28. Other (explain below)

12 vote(s)
    16.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

The topic is 'what changes would I make after 4 seasons.' And I answered the question. Or at least I implied that the show should end. I can't speak for other people.

Mechanoid1 likes this.
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I apologize if the "Why?" at the end of your post was rhetorical.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Joint 2nd most popular of the modern Treks on this very site.

EDIT: Third

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
  4. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Why? From my perspective, I don't see "Burnham becomes Captain!" as the endpoint of the series. I see it as a turning point, but not the endpoint. I think "Calypso" is the endpoint of the series. Every development with Zora during the third and fourth seasons, especially the fourth, inches us closer to that.

Someone's going to say "Calypso doesn't have to be the endpoint!" Maybe, maybe not. But, like Dukhat, I'm giving my own take.

In terms of my enjoyment, while I like all three: I like Picard less than Discovery and I like Strange New Worlds less than Picard. There's some Diminishing Returns going on, as far as what I'm getting out of each successive series as a viewer. So if Discovery ended, then it would probably be replaced with something I like less. So I want DSC to continue until it narratively runs its course. And, IMO, it still hasn't.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
  5. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finally finished all of Season 4, and while I still hold to the changes I've already written about, while finishing up the season, I thought it would be nice to get a real personal villain for Burnham next season. There really hasn't been a personal enemy that can match Burnham that hasn't had some personal/emotional tie to her or would like there to be. And for the ones that fit that bill, they got underdeveloped or killed off quickly. I would like to see a villain along the lines of Beyond's Krall, but better realized. T'Kuvma was sort of like that but he got killed off really quickly. Certainly not everyone, besides the Emerald Chain, is happy that the Federation is expanding again. But building up the Emerald Chain would be great too, and I still would like to happen even if they did create a more personal enemy.

Over the last three seasons, DISCO has had more impersonal big bads or challenges, and I would like them to lower the stakes a bit.

Lord Garth likes this.
  6. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can agree with you regarding the 'big bads' of season 1 and 2 but I think the overarching challenges of season 3 and 4 were necessary thematically for the rebuilding of the Federation. I think the idea of having the driving force for reunification and cooperation being 'man made' (for lack of a better term) galactic disasters instead of a 'ruthless new enemy™' was far more meaningful and true to the values of the Federation and Trek in general.

Based on what Michelle Paradise and Sonequa Martin-Green have said in interviews about the federation arc being completed and Season 5 being 'joyous and refreshing', I think there will definitely be a change of pace in terms of stakes.

DarKush likes this.
  7. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

8. fireproof78

3rd now, which is not bad considering what SNW has been doing in terms of causing fans to be all a giddy amongst themselves.

9. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

two words: Prime Lorca

10. Mechanoid1

Mechanoid1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes, (For me) "Calypso" was and is the only Discovery mystery plot hanging in limbo that is worthy of completing.
    That said, I dont belive that it would need to be an endpoint. It could be a new start for Discovery, on a more Sci fi, exploration, less melodramatic, future.

Lord Garth likes this.
  11. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's not promising to hear that they consider the Federation arc completed. To me, it should be just beginning. It got such short shrift as Seasons 3 and 4 were more caught up with the mysteries of The Burn and Species 10-C. We got little Federation building outside of some emphatic speeches and emotional scenes.

And if the focus is now going to be on "joyous and refreshing" (I thought SNW cornered that market?), it sounds like we are in for more emotional gestures, lots more heartful and tearful conversations, and smiles all around. It does seem though that they are shifting to a more planet or species-of-the-week style and that would be interesting to see with Discovery. I think that's happening because I can't see them being too joyous if they are dealing with yet another galaxy killing or threatening problem.

I still would like to see a different kind of challenge for Burnham. For the most part, arguably Burnham's greatest challenge has been herself, but it would be interesting to see her opposite out there, just as determined, but diametrically opposed to her or rather the Federation (which of course Burnham personifies and symbolizes). The potential was there with the Emerald Chain leader, but she's off the series (way too soon IMO).

12. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

When we're on the same page about a part of Discovery, I think that says something. There's something about leading up to "Calypso" where I think to myself, "This feels right."

Mechanoid1 likes this.
  13. ELCHawk

ELCHawk Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I have been a defender of Discovery. I am sick and tired of the hate it gets. It is better than most shows out there. However, it is my least favorite nuTrek show. Part of it is each season there is a threat to the universe and only Discovery can save the day. I would love more standalone or mini arc episodes. I want to know more about the 32nd century. One of my favorite episodes is the season 1 episode where Mudd keeps coming back time after time. That was a fun standalone episode.
    Or maybe it could be more like season 4 of Enterprise and have mini arcs.
    Saying all of this, I still think it is a very good show. It is better than Voyager and Enterprise in my eyes.

Shamrock Holmes likes this.
  14. Visitor1982

Visitor1982 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would cancel this show at the end of season 5. I think this show is one big mess. It never really grounded. It feels the showrunners don't know what to do with this one.

That being said. If the show did continue, I would stop with these ridiculous galaxy saving threats each season. More exploring and world building. If you need to have a villain, make him or her complex and let the villain remain for the rest of the series. More character episodes, less focus on Burnham. Smaller story arcs and please, please, please tone down on the emotions. Discovery feels like a psych ward.

15. The Knappos

The Knappos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah. Give Disco their Scorpius

F. King Daniel likes this.
  16. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Other...bridge carpeting. Carpeting Bashir doesn't hate.

17. Mechanoid1

First off everyone is entitled to their opinion. Lovers and Haters alike. As far as defense.
    The show should do that on its own.
    So far, SNW doesnt need any defense from the audience, its taking care of itself just fine.

18. fireproof78

SNW has its ups and downs.

19. Mechanoid1

Yes it does, but so do all shows. I can only hope it continues on its general course. Comparing the "Hate" out there. SNW has lots less.

20. fireproof78

Because it's doing a lot less. It's safe and comfortable.

Discovery is my preference for interesting and dramatic. Pike does a good job, and I enjoy him for the most part, and the show does well enough. But, a lot of the cast is just so...hit and miss. I hope each show continues on it's own course and audiences can get whatever comfort food viewing they require of Trek.

Shamrock Holmes likes this.