A fun movie with horrifying implications

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by wayoung, Oct 25, 2016.

1. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Works for me, thanks.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I thought that ST 09 an ST ID did an ok job, for a film, exploring the concept of PTSD with Spock and his desire to die. It felt like actual consequences in the film world, rather than moving on to the next adventure.

Also, you want to talk about messed up? At the end of TWOK, the greatest Star Trek film of all time*, and Spock is dead, Kirk says "I feel.............young."

PTSD-there's pill for that!

3. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I'm discussing whether or not the question "why isn't the movie more like real life?" is worthwhile in this context.

Do you have some special rules you'd like the discussion to follow?

4. wayoung

Please, your post consisted of "It's a goddamn movie" . You were trolling because you didn't like the thread, and still are. Here's a "special rule", it's one most of us already follow: If you don't want to discuss something that a threads been made about, don't reply to the thread. Crazy concept I know, but, amazingly enough, it's actually easier than trolling it.

5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Okay, @wayoung - a few things:

1. First, your subject line is misleading - it doesn't seem to match the content of your opening post, and it may lead people to expect something other than what this thread is really about.
    2. Next: in said opening post, you concluded: "Looking forward to others thoughts."
    3. @Dennis gave you a thought. It was his comment on the substance of what you were suggesting - brief, perhaps, even terse, and not addressing your rather lengthy post point-by-point, but he gave what was asked for.
    4. It was on-topic, and wasn't trolling.
    5. Here's an important bit you'll want to remember: never make an in-thread accusation of trolling. I don't care how justified you might think you are in making it. Don't do that. If you feel you must bring something to the attention of the moderating staff, that's what the 'Report' button is for; use it, provide the necessary information, and then let it go - your part in the matter is now finished.
    6. Lastly: If you start a thread and ask for responses, recognize that not every response will be what you had in mind before you posted. Even if you carefully specify the type of response you're looking for, things will not always go quite the way you anticipated. That's just the way it goes on the internet. Once the thread is underway, you don't get to tell people that they can't post in your thread; if that level of control is what you're after, forget all about public message boards and start a personal blog, where you and you alone get to moderate the comments received.

Now then... proceed

SPCTRE likes this.
  6. wayoung

@M'Sharak feel free to edit the title from "without" to "with". That is an autocorrect error and I am unable to change it in the editing window.

7. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Done.

wayoung likes this.
  8. wayoung

Thank you. I also tried to PM you but not sure if it worked as I've not started a conversation before and I can't find a send message option on your profile.

9. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

It makes more sense if the drone workforce wasn't for mining the planet, but the nebula.

10. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Whatever the nature of the drone force (robots, a live species created or enslaved by the Ancients, whatnot), Edison was no doubt misusing rather than using them. Sure, they make for a decent army of mass destruction, but it's not all that likely they were designed for the purpose. Sure, they fight a decent fight against the Enterprise crew, probably showing a bit of initiative when boarding her (it would be a giant headache for Edison to control that many events directly!). But an abandoned mining force is a likelier interpretation for two reasons IMHO:

1) They were mining. Fighting forces wouldn't be inclined to.
    2) Edison was able to gain control of them. Fighting forces probably wouldn't let him.

Mining drones might be able to build a swarm of simple ramming vessels, and less likely to know how to build a swarm of independetly operating fighting drones, especially if their master Edison was the one tasked with all the knowing. The ramming craft could even be preexisting mining hardware, assuming the drones were mining the nebula in addition to mining the planet. So, using the drones as a remote piloting system for manned ersatz fighters makes reasonable sense, especially for the initial task of pirating any ships that approach Altamid.

Whether the three human faces seen in the concluding briefing were directly related to the three speaking-part villain humanoids is debatable. Edison seemed to make contact with the Altamid folks only after dictating his "only three of us survive now, oh, I'm so angry at everybody else but myself!" log, but the number could be pure coincidence. And the case would close on Franklin crew members regardless of how and when they perished. Certainly there would be no shortage for later captives to become Krall's allies (with or without gaining the Altamid mutation - Krall kept "shifting", but the alien traitress did not).

On the balance, I guess it's nicer to believe in the three survivors being the three villains: we have both the "same actress" and "suggestive number" arguments on one side, the "traitress was unlike Krall" one on the other, and the rest is just sort of neutral...

Timo Saloniemi

11. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Krall only "shifted" appearances when he ate Tomlinson and Martinez. The one you're calling "traitress" didn't have a chance to do that before she got squished. i think the only reason Krall even did it was because he wanted to scare Uhura and also because he just happened to be feeling a little low at that moment.

12. Timo

It seemed to me that the strange spirals on Krall's shoulders kept swirling at random moments, or perhaps random events of "nourishment" and "hunger" - and that his face swelled and shrunk several times, supposedly in relation to state of nourishment again. It's just plain curious that nothing of the sort ever happened to Kalara. Surely she would also feel the hunger for the life essence of others if she used to be Jessica Wolff of the Franklin?

(Also, the Memory Alpha interpretation that Wolff, Le and Edison would have been the only three survivors of the crash is obviously false: Edison starts to dictate logs about being stranded well before dictating the one where only three crew are left. Indeed, the whole theory that there was a "crash" is dubious. As the ship was shown intact and level on the surface, a "landing" is an equally likely theory, with Edison seeing no reason to remain in orbit above a perfectly nice and tempting Class M world when the Rubble Nebula prevented him from flying away.)

Timo Saloniemi

13. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Only if she ate somebody whose body had a tendency to shift like Krall did. The difference in appearance may simply be that she prefers not to eat shifty people.

Of course, I didn't notice any shifting ON SCREEN, so I can't say for sure if it's really a thing or just lighting effects. I thought he had some subtle changes of appearance between scenes and seeing him juice the Tomlinsons was meant to finally explain why that kept happening.

14. Timo

It's going to be a photo finish, then: if there are subtle differences in the makeup of Kalara, or a moment when that makeup hiccups on screen, then she must be a Franklin leftover. If Krall only fluctuates when eating, then Kalara is allowed to be a Franklin leftover. If Le/Manas visibly changes between shots but Kalara doesn't, then odds are greater that Kalara isn't Wolff. If Manas doesn't change, he might not be Le after all. Etc.

When do we get a DVD/Blu-ray again?

Timo Saloniemi

15. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Today.

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Unless you're in England:mad:

17. The Mighty Monkey of Mim

The Mighty Monkey of Mim Commodore Commodore

LIVE ON STAGE AT THE ALHAMBRA, ONE NIGHT ONLY!
    First Contact would seem to refute this. There was a time when I felt it was a flaw that the movie ignored Picard's having overcome his trauma in the series, but I can see now that it perhaps does make more sense that he still had unresolved issues lingering beneath the surface.

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

My point is for such a traumatic experience that Borg assimilation, not to mention being used to destroy 39 starships and kill countless officers and their families, that should have haunted Picard for a damn while. Realistically, the entire fourth season should have seen him radically depressed and or angry and one would think he'd take a much longer leave of absence than a week, or however long Family lasts. But instead, he spends a week being all passive/aggressive with his brother until they get into their mud fight, and then he's back on the Enterprise his same old self as though he hadn't had a horribly life-altering experience earlier that year.

19. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

The little alien made peace with the Federation, he even attended the party without his pants on. He was one happy pervert. As for the rest, well if a cadet can be Captain of the flagship overnight, Khan/Harrison can beam to Kronos in one day, and it takes five minutes to get to Vulcan then anything is possible. PTSD can be cured with Saurian brandy and a good time party.

20. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I'd assume that they're supposed to be the same people since Le and Wolff's crew file pictures used the same actors who played Manas and Kalara.