2022 book releases

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Enterprise1701, Sep 6, 2021.

1. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wouldn’t expect it - SNW is a different time frame and mostly different characters. Whatever else, TOS and five year mission stories tend to be considered reliable sellers. Alternatively, if anyone is concerned about overlap, the TOS novel could be set during the movie timeframe, be it something like CLB writing in the post-TMP era, for example, or even going into the post-TFF period - those are less common these days, but not unheard of, and it would avoid any stepping on toes.

But it doesn’t seem likely to me that SNW will cause TOS novels to get bumped. Like I said a while back, my guess is, if we’re doing this six books a year approach, then it’s three spots for Discovery, Picard, and SNW, respectively, one for TOS, and two for any other series.

2. Jarrod

Jarrod Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I am ok with one TOS novel a year. To be honest, at this point, I am happy with NO TOS novels this year.

3. Extrocomp

Extrocomp Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The link isn't working properly for me, but I managed to see the blurb on this google cache. It's a pretty bare bones description.

captainmkb likes this.
  4. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

The ebooks are available now from the publisher's website. If you haven't bought from Obverse before, you get a downloadable zip file with the mobi and epub versions. I've got the three of them on my Kobo now. Shipping for everything from the UK is crazily expensive right now... and for Canadians, shipping from the USA is just about as bad. Obverse has always made an effort to find ways to reduce those costs, including uploading some of their books to Lulu, which has operations in a number of countries, meaning much lower local shipping costs. They haven't announced it for the Gold Archive books yet but they have done some of the Black Archive books that way.

For people not familiar with these books: The Gold Archive is a series of short monographs, maybe around a hundred pages, each looking at a specific Star Trek episode in detail, edited by former Star Trek Magazine editor Paul Simpson, currently of SciFiBulletin.com. They're not unlike the BFI Film Classics books on movies or the 33 1/3 books on albums. Obverse has been publishing the Black Archive, covering Doctor Who, for a few years now, as well as the Silver Archive, covering a variety of different shows (I have the ebooks of their Sapphire and Steel books). Obverse also publishes, by arrangements with the rights holders, books based on Doctor Who-related series Faction Paradox and Iris Wildthyme, as well as occasional Doctor Who-related charity anthologies and books, something the BBC allows if the books' proceeds go to a charity and for a limited time only. (Steven Moffat contributed to one of their books while he was showrunner on Doctor Who.) This includes a series of books novelizing the Peter Cushing Doctor Who movies and the movies that might have been: novels that revisit classic Who stories as they might have been done as part of the Cushing movie series. Fun stuff.

Aha! There's a Gold Archive topic already. I've cut some of this post and moved it there.

5. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

delete post

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
  6. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

Amazon has a listing for a TOS novel called Harm's Way by @David Mack , 15th November:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/1668008661/

Description mentions Vanguard - is this legitimate book or some ghost in the system from a previous release / placeholder?

7. mastadge

mastadge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Looks legit. Nice find! I find Amazon's search function broken nearly beyond usability so I'm impressed that you were able to find anything, let alone something awesome!

Jinn and DS9_Klingon like this.
  8. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Oh wow, a new novel playing in the Vanguard space? I certainly hope it's legitimate!

Leto_II and Corran Horn like this.
  9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmm, seems legit. Anybody tried asking him on social media, or done an @David Mack to see if he shows up here?

Ronald Held likes this.
  10. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

It's legit. Now that the publisher's metadata has propagated to Amazon, I guess I can add it to my website....

As for the book, I've just started writing it, and if all goes as hoped, I should deliver the manuscript in early to mid-April.

11. Judith Sisko

Judith Sisko Commander Red Shirt

I wish I could "Like" something more than once! :techman: So excited!!

Kilana2 and Ronald Held like this.
  12. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thrilling. Looks like our authors aren’t ready to put the old continuity completely to bed yet. I love it!

13. David Mack

Ready to have your mind blown? The idea of a TOS/Vanguard crossover novel was suggested by my editors.

Kilana2, Oz Trekkie, Cloud and 24 others like this.
  14. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

The most important question: is the title a Rush reference?

15. David Mack

Not that I know of.

16. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

This year is also the 10 year anniversary of the final Vanguard novel.

17. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

That's quite surprising! So presumably this takes place between Harbinger and Storming Heaven, then, yes?

18. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

19. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yahoo that's great news about a new Tos book. Looking forward to getting it. Sounds like a great book from David Mack! Best new Star trek book news since the Picard audio book and Una's Picard Novel coming out in a few months..

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
    aventinelover likes this.
  20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Very happy to hear it's legit, a new Trek book, or really any new book, by David Mack is always a good thing.

aventinelover and Reanok like this.