2022 book releases

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Enterprise1701, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Wow, I didn’t know that. I presumed Japanese had surnames because of Jin Sakai in Ghost of Tsushima.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, they did go by multiple names, but it wasn't standardized. For instance, there was the great 16th-17th century swordsman known as Miyamoto Musashi, but that's really the name of the village and province he was from. His full name and title was Shinmen Musashi-no-Kami Fujiwara no Harunobu, which essentially breaks down to "Harunobu of the Fujiwara lineage, Governor of Musashi village, vassal of Lord Shinmen." He was also known as Shinmen Takezou or Miyamoto Bennosuke, and his Buddhist name was Niten Douraku.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_name#Historical_names

Markonian likes this.
  3. Markonian

Thanks for sharing.
    That is so alien! While the article states that prominent families had their genealogy recorded in the Shinsen, it must be hard for commoners to track down their roots through the centuries if the names didn’t even stay the same after death.

If I was dropped into the past and didn’t perish quickly, at least I could track down my ancestors based on their location and surnames.

Perhaps the Na’kuhl did mess up Japanese naming conventions in Star Trek.

4. Christopher

I dunno... It's not so different from European naming conventions like the one represented by Leonardo da Vinci (full name Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci, "Leonardo, son of Sir Piero from VInci"). Or computer pioneer Ada Lovelace, whose full name was Augusta Ada King, Countess of Lovelace.

Markonian likes this.
  5. Markonian

Good examples.
    In my region last names were established in the early modern period and usually based around 1) profession and 2) defining physical/personality feature, and then just passed on patrilinearly.

6. Christopher

There have been a lot of different ways of assigning names in different cultures, but a lot of cultures have adopted Western-style surnames over the past few centuries. Though there are still a few that don't use them, like Indonesia, I think. And there are cultures that have their own naming conventions but simplify them to fit Western norms. E.g. the Islamic world, where they don't use surnames per se and are generally referred to by two of their given names, like how Saddam Hussein's real name is Saddam Hussein 'Abd al-Majid al-Tikriti, or how Siddig el Fadil/Alexander Siddig's real name is Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abdurrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi.

Markonian likes this.
  7. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

8. Markonian

Therin of Andor likes this.
  9. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

11. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

And that's why the cover looks like it belongs to Lower Decks.

12. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a variant cover, nothing more, done by the same artist who did the LDS comic.

Allyn Gibson likes this.
  13. Eduardo

Eduardo Captain Captain

14. Markonian