2022 book releases

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Enterprise1701, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Should we take this as affirmation of no other novels coming between Second Self in May and Harm's Way in November?

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

We know there's an SNW novel coming out in September by John Jackson Miller.

Corran Horn and Ronald Held like this.
  3. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm sure there will be more books news about other Star Trek novels from authors about coming out sometime this year.

4. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

There might be an October book, maybe even an August one, but given publishing lead times, at this point it’s pretty clear Second Self is the only thing coming out through July.

Allyn Gibson likes this.
  5. Enterprise1701

As Brendan Moody pointed out, that seems of low likelihood given the lead time necessary for promoting a book before release.

6. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

If we did not get 6 books in 2022, might there be more than 6 in 2023?

7. Mike Doyle

Mike Doyle Commander Red Shirt

I got an email off Amazon saying my preorder of second self has been put back until 13 Sept 22. Bummer

8. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I didn't get a notification, but I just checked, and my eBook order (through Apple) also has been reset to that date.

Oz Trekkie likes this.
  9. Eduardo

Eduardo Captain Captain

Star Trek comics for May 2022 from IDW, cover art at links:

Star Trek Discovery Adventures in the 32nd Century #2 of 4
    https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/MAR220495
    (W) Kirsten Beyer, Mike Johnson (A/CA) Angel Hernandez
    The exclusive comics tie-in to the hit show continues here! The spotlight falls on Lt. Commander Detmer, as she faces a new threat to Discovery and its crew that only she can handle!
    In Shops: May 04, 2022

Star Trek Mirror War #6 of 8
    https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/MAR220492
    https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/MAR220493 (variant)
    (W) David Tipton, Scott Tipton (A) Gavin Smith (CA) J. K. Woodward
    The Empire launches a dual attack on the standing Cardassian-Klingon Armada and the Klingon homeworld, with Picard and the I.S.S. Enterprise as the tip of the spear, headed for Cardassia...

---
    Star Trek Explorer Magazine #3
    https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/MAR221952
    https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/MAR221951
    https://trekmovie.com/2022/02/17/first-look-at-star-trek-explorer-magazine-issue-3/

In the unmissable third issue of Star Trek Explorer, John de Lancie discusses Q’s journey through Star Trek: Picard Season 2; all-new and exclusive Star Trek short fiction; Treknology investigates real-world impulse drives; Inside Trek turns its focus to the Enterprise; the Definitive Guide to… Captain Pike; and much, much more!
    ---

And a preview for Klingons #1, releasing this wednesday.

10. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, they’ve updated this to include Harm’s Way, but they’ve also taken down the listing for The High Country. May just be because it hasn’t been officially announced, but...

Reanok likes this.
  11. GaryH

GaryH Commander Red Shirt

The schedule is probably being adjusted if the Picard novel has been pushed back a few months…

12. Damian

Damian Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As others have noted it appears the new Picard novel has been pushed back a few months. Memory Alpha currently only has that novel listed. Under stalled released their is a notation about a possible 2nd Picard novel in the future. No mention of Harm's Way or JJ Miller's SNW novel. I'm guessing because there hasn't been an official announcement of those by the publisher as of yet. IIRC Memory Alpha won't post anything until there is an actual official announcement by the publisher. I'm starting to think we may only see up to 2 novels this year. We'll have to wait to see what 2023 holds for novels.

13. Enterprise1701

Heh.
    The 2020 thread topped out at 37 pages. The 2021 thread topped out at 42 pages. Right now the 2022 thread has 18 pages. However, it may not thrive for much. Blah.

14. DGCatAniSiri

That “stalled” Picard novel has been on there for like a year now. I’m inclined to think that it was a misunderstanding surrounding like Rogue Elements or something like that, since there was never a source other that an ISBN code on Amazon.

Reanok likes this.
  15. Eduardo

Eduardo Captain Captain

16. 100Pic

100Pic Lieutenant Red Shirt

Having just read The Last Best Hope, I was looking forward to Second Self! I wonder why its publication has been delayed..?

17. DGCatAniSiri

No official word one way or the other so far as I know at the moment, but we've discussed a lot throughout this thread that there's a lot of pandemic-related issues with pretty much the whole publishing chain at the moment. From material to labor, making sure that the novels get published in time for the official release date is kinda up in the air in general.

It's also possible that the No Man's Land audio drama release may also have had something to do with it - both are centering on Raffi after the first season, which may mean that the novel may have had to be changed some to account for any discrepancies or overlap. While the policy has always been that the only thing that tie-in work needs to stay consistent with is what's on screen, there has been more involvement of the higher ups working on modern Trek in getting the tie-in materials to remain mostly consistent all the same, so it could be (emphasis on "could" - I have no idea if this is even the case at all) that, with Second Self having been announced a few months back, and even before No Man's Land was even announced, let alone released, when the script for No Man's Land was finished, there was contradiction and/or overlap with things in Second Self, and an opportunity to rework things was given instead of releasing conflicting material or scrapping one or the other.

Or just as simple as trying to not oversaturate the market, since, again, both are Raffi-focus stories, so they don't want her to seem to be overshadowing everything else Picard-related when she's one character in the overall tapestry.

I don't know for certain, this is just speculation, but... Neither would surprise me, either.

Markonian and 100Pic like this.
  18. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

I've been told the delays are principally the result of paper shortages at the printing houses. Consequently, even though my next book has been moved to December, I don't get an extra month to write it. My deadline is the same; we need to make our deadline to keep our place in the queue for the press. But we can't control further delays caused by supply chain disruptions.

19. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

20. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

While I'm probably not going to buy it, Baby's First Klingon in July sounds cute as heck! And the shattered Praxis moon on the cover is a cool, if disturbing, touch. :)