‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Is there anything cooler than Batman wearing a trenchcoat? I think not. :D

2. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Man, after seeing that trailer I'd feel like such an idiot if I spent the last couple of years moaning about the destruction of Metropolis and the lack of repercussions for Superman.

3. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Have you met the Internet?

4. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

To be fair, I'm pretty sure they got the idea for this story from the reaction to the destruction of Metropolis by critics and fans. If you read interviews with Snyder & Goyer right after Man of Steel came out, it seems pretty clear they didn't really anticipate anybody having a problem with Superman's actions.

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

And Niven got the idea for The Ringworld Engineers from fans having noticed a flaw in the Ringworld design. If that's any indication, then BvS will do just fine.

6. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Batman v Superman trailer, with all the emphasis on Batman be like:

[​IMG]

7. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

Wonder Woman looks hot, I like.

8. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

The film should still be able to stand on its own with the soap opera convention of planting links to external stories / spin-offs, etc before its out of the gates. Once films are nothing more than set ups for other movies, what is their value? Avengers 2 was hollow, as it was filled with too many references / set ups for Civil War, and other properties. Knowing that, the audience is not exactly embracing the A2 story on its own merits, as there not much in that department.

So, just because that has roots in its source means it is fine to use that tired "event" over and over again? How many of the modern (post Sam Raimi) superhero movies have featured mass destruction of a city or some property? Green Lantern, The Avengers (you could swap characters and not miss a beat there), and MoS, all had that, and unlike the mass history of comics, where gimmicks can be lost among thousands of plots, the movies are small, limited pieces which are committed to memory more than some random comic.

You do not have 70 years and thousands of issues to space that out, so the moment the so-called spectacle is cloned or recycled in that little group of films, it becomes worn out quickly.

Do you expect Wonder Woman to have the build fitting her background? She's not Batgirl or Black Widow. She's supposed to be striking on sight--even before lifting a finger to fight.

9. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It could only be cooler if he was smoking. ;)

Most here think she looks great, so by your criteria her look works.

Not sure how you think her build is "underwhelming" - do you want her to look like a body builder, or have massive boobs?

10. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Never mind Diana's muscles. Right now I'd really like to know if she's friends with Bruce Wayne. As others have said, the two seem to have a James Bond-ish thing going on.

11. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If Batman is sceptical regarding superhumans, Diana might be keeping her powers a secret from him. I wonder if she is allied with the US govt as in the TV series.

12. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

It occurred to me, in a not especially serious way, that had some suit in WB insisted that the Batman of this film be the same guy from Nolan's trilogy and that Bale return, they could conceivably just have shoehorned him in.

He's (apparently) retired in this film, just like BatBale. The shot of the Robin suit in the cave could've been replaced with a reference to Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character. And while I personally don't believe that the 'you let your family die' writing refers to a wife or child, they could've had Anne Hathaway's Selina die in Metropolis.

Yes, it would've undone the ending and intent of TDKR and would've been contrived as all hell. And not for one second am I suggesting that they should've done this. I'm looking forward to seeing this new Batman and I've never had a difficulty with the casting of Affleck. I'm just wondering in a not very serious mode if this could've been done.

13. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

That's vanishingly unlikely.

Why do fans always like to pretend that their opinions matter to the studios when the studios are making money hand over fist appealing to the mass audience who either show up and buy tickets or don't, without nitpicking either way?

This looks as good as Man Of Steel, which was awesome. So I'm happy. :cool:

14. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

Honestly, the Suicide Squad trailer looks more promising to me...

15. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

It's good for a chuckle though. :)

16. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

So that how he can be in 3 or 4 solo books and the Justice League book at the same time.

17. davejames

Well Lynda Carter didn't exactly look like a fierce Amazonian warrior either, but she still managed to be a pretty memorable and iconic Wonder Woman.

And I'd say Gadot really DOES look pretty darn striking in the costume, and like someone who could easily fit in with Superman and Batman. Making her a bit bigger or beefier wouldn't have changed that a bit I don't think.

Yeah much like with how Superman is being handled on Supergirl, I kinda get the impression DC is trying to keep at least some vague consistency with the characters and where their stories are at, so as to not confuse the general audience any more than necessary.

18. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, I think their concern here is more to just minimize distraction that results from confusion, as you say.

19. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

The most believable thing about this movie is that if Superman were real there'd be some assholes holding up signs saying "ALIEN GO HOME" or whatever.

20. davejames

Ha, very true. And of course for all the people celebrating the lives Superman was able to save, you just know there would be an even larger number complaining or calling him out (and probably even filing lawsuits) for every death or natural disaster he wasn't able to prevent.